Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Totally understand where you are coming from, but as we’ve seen already with investment in renewables it takes time for such investment to work through the market and impact consumers - i.e years. Meanwhile, consumers could see their electricity bills double by the new year (if they follow wholesale prices they’ll at least triple). If Government’s need to find immediate relief, where do you think they’ll look?

Just my 2 cents anyway. Maybe the market will sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

all important to remember, the abilities of the market to be able to provide us with all our needs is clearly untrue, we must be mature now and accept this, even though markets will need to play a critical part in trying to do so, but not entirely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The option to avoid this is rolling blackouts of course. They’ll be very popular politically at the height of winter across Europe, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It’s not like people haven’t been warned, global warming was announced in what the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If it's left to the market to sort itself out, it will end in Armageddon with companies buying out smaller operators, heavily utilising lobbyists and grabbing what they can to ensure they get to maximise what they can before there is nothing left.

The airline industry reacted to the Covid impact on their business by looking for government handouts. Previously we've seen the financial industry do the same.

This conversation is not even an ordinary 'product life cycle' market one and how the changing supply chain or customer focus may impact an industry. There is active damage being done with this ongoing industry and that should be the primary focus of Governments because it is going to be so impactful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We think the little savings in energy consumption will inspire shithole countries to saving the planet.

Eamon Ryan and Roderick O'Gorman have these Notions that think that people in places like Nigeria, Russia, Phillipines, Brazil, Indonesia will just adapt to the Euro-Western Way of reducing your quality of life to save the planet.

I'll tell you right now it won't effing happen. If the leaders of any of these countries start introducing carbon taxes, driving up petrol prices, electricity shortages etc, it ain't going to be a strongly worded letter being sent, it's military coups and lynch mobs.

Massive countries like Nigeria, Congo, Bangladesh, parts of India etc are barely functioning, let alone going to reduce their carbon footprint. If workers are not able to go work because of the price costs of buses or driving cars or their moped to work, it will be off to the local politicians office to beat the crap out of them.

The Roddy O'Gormans, Eamon Ryan's of this world do not understand the world outside of Renelagh and Phibsborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Eamon Ryan wouldn't know the real world if it hit him in the face. He's better off sticking to cleaning his glasses with his Covid mask. Green policies are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ireland isnt that bad, i certainly wouldnt call it a sh1thole

So don't try anything, and let the whole thing play out whatever the impact on the billions on the planet would be your approach would that be fair to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

By "dead technology" you mean proven technology that provides the energy we need as opposed to ploughing more money into initiatives for eco-grift

But you're right, with the climate disaster-crisis-holocaust upon us we should be investing in nuclear to save the planet, because saving the planet is the priority here, yeah?

• Advertisement

But you're right, with the climate disaster-crisis-holocaust upon us we should be investing in nuclear to save the planet, because saving the planet is the priority here, yeah?

Is that a serious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnlynch1970

who in their right mind voted for these lunatics

People with some concept of forward planning I'd say.

What's this "saving the planet" nonsense? The planet will be fine. We are a dot on the planet's existence, it will be still here in millions of years when we are long gone. Saving the planet, give me a frecking break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

We think the little savings in energy consumption will inspire shithole countries to saving the planet.

Exactly. It's like expecting Afghanistan to become a democratic secular state off the example of the UK. If anything some states will look to those in the West and do the complete opposite. Like eastern European countries saying they're not having any of that lgbt political stuff.

It will the D4 luverlie types who can afford the solar panels, the heat regen systems, the top of the line home insulation projects all the while the 4 ton SUV is used to transport Tarquin and Sorcha to and from private school daily in between the family ski trips to Chamonix without a hint of self awareness,

they're not having any of that lgbt political stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you gay?

Do you think the ability to have freedom to have a relationship with who you choose to, even if they are of the same gender as you is 'political stuff'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Why can't some more control be introduced at a consumer level?

Why don't we have low voltage energy options to light our homes at night - separate led circuit with stored battery power charged by small windmill?, more widespread easier/cheaper use of solar water heating? rainwater recovery systems used for toilet flushing to reduce water processing demand (why are we flushing fully treated drinking water anyway?). Why is there hardly any use of community heating schemes in this country? Why is there no physical 'off' switch on practically every electrical appliance that you can buy .... everything has a sleeping 'standby' mode with associated led burning through the night and appliances wasting energy waiting on input that never comes, while also shortening their operating life as the power supply capacitors dry out. Why do different council areas have different recycle policies and options - some take items that others don't , some charge for items that others don't? Why are green bins (recycle) coloured blue in the midlands and the domestic refuse (non recycle) bin is green - seems like a minor pedantic point, but when you then get told on the news to put your soft plastics in your green bin - there lies a confusion problem that simply shouldn't exist in what should be a nationally managed and operated system.

Despite being among the very first countries up to declare a national climate emergency... we are not dealing with environmental and energy issues on a national basis - set up one super environmental and energy department, give someone with a bit of cop and clout the total responsibility and get it done. The only option we seem to be considering seriously, is to try and catch up on large scale generation after years of not having a plan and then also using the big tax and price increase stick to beat consumers into using less energy, that they will then be charged more for, because since we were forced to give up our nationally managed service and hand the market over to private enterprise, profits have to be made.

The issues are too big to expect companies motivated by profit to get us out of the problems we are in - unless we are prepared to be continually fleeced in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wouldn't trust the Irish developer set, doing it on the cheap whilst sniggerring up their sleeves.

I would put saving the planet pretty high up myself now, actually no I would put it top of the agenda

• Advertisement

On the electrical items that because people demand they start quicker, a smart plug easily fixes that issue with complete shut at the command of your voice plus shutting down while you are not in house using geo fencing

How many people heat the house and water while they are away because they have a system from the 80s running their heating, or a system installed recently but it has the technology from the 80s….heating every radiator in the house when 2-3 is all that is required etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being gay doesn't prevent me from using examples to make a point, does it? As for the rest it's way off topic.

Incorrect. Green Party had votes all over Ireland including Dublin Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Ireland is one of the greenest country's on the planet.

Can we do things a lot better? Of course.

But we don't even represent 1% of global emissions so even if we were 100% carbon neutral we wouldn't even make a drop in the ocean.

For anybody interested in how we can save the planet watch a man called Allan savoury on YouTube. Absolutely eye opening and makes so much sense.

As for the rest it's way off topic.

You introduced the topic genuis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Greenest country? lol. It's one of the most denatured countries in the world, only Malta has less trees in Europe, and our coverage of 11% is nearly all tree farms for profit, only 2 or 3% actual indigenous trees left. Our waterways are being completely destroyed by agriculture and we even pump raw sewage into rivers. Nothing resembling wilderness in Ireland left. We are heavy polluters per capita too.

I will never understand how the Greens get the blame for everything FG and FF have done over the years, people are really really stupid on this site.

We would reduce the amount of health issue for ourselves and our children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There is a realm of concern that’s rather large and out of our control, but there is also a smaller sphere and that’s our realm of influence and that’s what we should try to focus our energy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Technology will over time take care of this issue. Electric vehicles will become the norm due to improved battery technology. Eventually poorer countries who usually buy second hand cars will be purchasing second hand electric cars. And by all means, we can all recycle and do other fluffy virtue signalling stuff.

There is absolutely no need to cripple people with a carbon tax and deny LNG power plants in this country which every energy expert say are required to keep the lights on. It's very, very dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oh its just if greens were so intent on saving the planet from its imminent fiery demise, then they wouldnt be bitching and moanning about nuclear, would they?

Advertisement