Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - Browser Extension

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I spoke too soon. It does go to the correct post initially but it then jumps to the bottom of the page but it only does this when I have 1 or 2 unread posts in the thread. if my last unread post is a couple of pages back it seems to be ok. no idea what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

v0.2.11:

• l key shortcut to scroll to latest unread more accurate
    • bold the header of the latest unread post
    • fix for marking categories as read

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

i upgraded to v0.2.11. Still the same problem with going to the bottom of the page (though it seems more like it is going to the right place initially and then jumping down). The l key shortcut does bring it back to the correct post though. as confused as ever but at least I have something that works. Cheers @28064212

Yeah, the L shortcut is about the best workaround I can offer. Native Boards seems to be attempting some after-loading scroll adjustment, but it seems to be dependent on something that is changed by the extension - possibly it's calculating the height of the posts, but then the extension widens the page and makes the posts take up less vertical space, so it scrolls too far. Interestingly, Firefox isn't affected by it and generally lands on the right post (unless there are other height-affecting elements loaded afterwards, like Twitter posts).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

would you mind answering a question for me?

in your javascript you have this piece of code which implements the l hotkey

else if (!ctrl && code == 76 && document.querySelector('#latest')) {			// l - scroll to latest			document.querySelector('#latest').scrollIntoView();		}

this looks for the #latest element and scrolls the window so that it is in view

/* Auto-magic scrolling not allowing for nav bar */ #latest { position: absolute; top: -75px; }

Is the #latest element created by Vanilla? If it is why would Vanilla not just do the same as you instead of trying to calculate the height of posts?

• Advertisement

Best guess is that it's down to dynamic loading. The location of #latest will change as different elements are loaded on the page - trying to identify when all the elements are finally finished is a difficult thing to do. A human can visually see when it's complete, then press L, but even then they may still be wrong - if a particular element was unusually slow to load, you'd get another "jump". When you throw something like the extension into the mix which changes the elements which are loaded, it's another complicating factor

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Did boards change something? Chrome updated too recently.

The Categories dropdown menu no longer works for me.

Error:

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'unshift')

Stack Trace

• js/boardsie-enhancement-suite.js:1041 (anonymous function)

Perhaps I've done something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Same here with Firefox - menus gone

Seven Worlds will Collide

I can't even se the categories menu now. The Categories menu is now too high up the page so you can only see the bottom of it.

byte

Yeah, if I hover the cursor over the Categories link, I just get a white blank strip instead of the full box of links.

I'm guessing boards did something so that has messed with the script.

• Advertisement

Not you, something in the API call to retrieve categories has changed. Will take a look and update when I figure it out

v0.2.12: fix for category menu dropdown (thanks for the bug reports @CrowdedHouse @byte @ohnonotgmail)

Good stuff - thanks a million 👍️

They must be fluting around with it again.

I'm only see 'Followed' with no details atm

Yep, they've broken it again. and by they i mean boards.

byte

For me the forums are doubled, and Regional is in the way of Followed:

Also, some forums like Android Devices have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Anyone had any luck installing this in Chrome or Opera on linux?

The "load unpacked extension" dialog box is looking for a file, when it should be looking for a folder.

No problem in Opera on Windows (😕 😛 )

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Hmmm, fluting around indeed. The API which provides the category information is returning bad results. Unfortunately, not really anything I can fix. Not sure whether Boards or Vanilla are responsible, hopefully it's just temporary as they're making updates and will settle soon

• Advertisement

What distro/desktop environment are you using? I just installed it on Ubuntu with no issues. In the dialog box, I just navigated to the folder, then clicked "Open" in the top right:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

When I hover over "discussions/categories" at the top of the screen, the forum list is not appearing. Im only getting "followed"

It seems to fluctuate between just showing "Followed" and showing all what is in the screenshot below.

@GBX@GBX @ohnonotgmail Boards and/or Vanilla have broken something in the back-end. It seems to be in a state of flux at the moment, hopefully it will settle down into a working state over the next day or two, and then I can apply any fixes (if needed)

Yeah it is all over the shop at the moment. No point trying to shoot at a moving target.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

@28064212

ive an issue in some groups in here. I cannot create a "new discussion" in chrome. Simply nothing happens when i select it.

for example, i can create a new discussion in the rugby forum, but i cannot in the feedback forum, or current affairs, or in a private group im in here etc

ive tried it in internet explorer and it works fine, so thats why i think it might be a chrome issue. i used your original script when the migration first occurred.

could that be a reason for the issue?

TIA

Have you tried turning off the extension in Chrome and trying to create a new discussion then?

When you say the original script, do you mean the userscript installed via Violentmonkey (or Tampermonkey etc.)? If so, I would suggest removing/disabling it, it hasn't received any updates, so it's entirely possible it's interfering in some way. Then try to create a discussion. If that works, and you want the script features back, install the extension as per the first post in this thread, and verify creating discussions still works, or let me know if it doesn't.

If creating a discussion still doesn't work even after removing the script, it's nothing to do with my addons. They can't make any permanent changes: once removed or disabled, the native boards experience is what you're getting. I would suggest disabling Chrome extensions one by one (starting with your ad-blocker, if you use one) and testing it after each one

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thanks lads, ive no idea who provided the original script.. and im a complete novice with these things, so ive no clue how to remove it or disable it.

ive gone through each individual extension and none seem to affect it.

its weird that i can create new discussion in some forums but not in others.

and idea how i can remove or disable that script i put in??

delete and reinstall chrome?

• Advertisement

You could try incognito mode first (Ctrl+Shift+N). All extensions will be disabled. If creating a discussion works in that window, it's definitely an extension causing the issue

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement