Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - Browser Extension

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭ Hodors Appletart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭ 28064212

Depends on your browser. Firefox does (if you haven't disabled automatic extension updates). Chrome and Edge require a manual update, see post 6

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

@ohnonotgmail Could you get a screenshot of the duplicate post numbers? I'm not seeing any on my end

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,877 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

typical. I turned it back on and now I'm not getting the duplicate post numbers any more.

there are errors showing in the extension manager for chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭ Hotblack Desiato

Just updated. Can't scroll up to get to the bookmark thing (or see the thread title, except in the breadcrumb trail), the first thing at the top of each page is the page number.

Opera 80.0.4170.40, suite 0.2.5

Edit: bookmark thing seems to have disappeared since yesterday's site updates, disabled the suite and still can't see it...

The likes of Alcohol Action Ireland won't be happy until we all have ration cards. Maybe not even then.

And a further update to v0.2.6, the keyboard shortcut for "Open all unread" was broken

I think that's something else in your setup (adblocker maybe?), have checked Opera with and without extension, bookmark icon is there in both cases.

Actually, I see what's happening, it's due to a combination of an adblocker and the changes to the header. With adblocker off, there'd be an ad at the top of the page, before the bookmark icon. The ad has padding to push it down below the header. With adblocker on, both the ad and the padding disappear, so the bookmark icon moves up. It's still there, it's just hidden behind the header.

As a temporary workaround, you could disable the sticky header in the extension settings (gear-wheel, top right)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭ iLikeWaffles

/* no ads */

.ad-container {

text-align: center;

margin: 15px auto;

display: none;

}

Does the trick for me to remove, especially the space in middle of threads when you do have an ad blocker enabled. No bookmark at the top could possibly be because of dismissed system messages.

• Advertisement

.DismissMessage {

display: inline;

}

can reproduce the bookmark being block here. display: none; the title and bookmark will be under the headers.

I dismissed both system massages here also and have no bookmark or title now, whoops so can confirm that it is that. I'd say there is a margin underneath the headers in the wrong position or removed, the unmodded sites Headers z-index is way too high also so may be interfering.

Post edited by iLikeWaffles on

Here's a fix....

.Container .Frame-row {

display: flex;

padding: 0;

flex-wrap: wrap;

justify-content: center;

/* fix */

position: relative;

top: 60px;

}

Will push the top down 60px

• Registered Users Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭ Hotblack Desiato

Can't get the extension to install on my Linux laptop at all. Opera 80, openSUSE 15.3.

The dialog box should be looking for a directory where the extension is unpacked (as Opera on Windows does) but instead it's looking for a file. If I try manifest.json I get an error.

The likes of Alcohol Action Ireland won't be happy until we all have ration cards. Maybe not even then.

I was able to install it in Opera on Ubuntu. Are you sure you're not missing a confirm button somewhere on the folder chooser dialog? On Ubuntu, I think it was (non-intuitively) on the top-right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭ Igotadose

Will it work with Brave?

Yes, just tested, same instructions as for Chrome and Edge (they're all Chromium-based browsers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭ El Tarangu

Thanks OP - just added this on Firefox, works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,516 ✭✭✭✭ Esel

Any sign/hope of your code being integrated into the site?

@Boards.ie: Niamh

Not your ornery onager

In fairness, it wouldn't really be practical. While the features the suite provides are pretty good (IMO of course 🙂), it's unlikely that much of the actual code would be reusable, certainly not just a drop-in. Some of that will be down to the structure of the code, some of that will be performance concerns, some of that will be support issues. A one-person dev working on an extension for a relatively small group of users is a very different beast to a team working on a core product - if my extension completely breaks for a day or a week, it's no big deal, users can just turn it off until I get around to a fix. That's not an option for the Boards devs.

I believe many of the features of the suite are on Boards' roadmap, but their problem isn't lack of ability or lack of ideas - it's lack of resources, combined with a very large list

• Advertisement

v0.2.8 pushed, just some bug-fixes for the keyboard shortcuts

v0.2.9:

• The link in the "Last Post" column (on home page and discussion list view) will now take you to the true last post, rather than last read
    • Fix for the "Categories" menu item sometimes losing its text

v0.2.10:

• header no longer cuts off top of page regardless of ad-blocker or sticky header setting
    • un-hide side panel on edit profile page so that extra options show properly
    • fix for keyboard shortcuts on profile pages

@Hotblack Desiato, you can sticky your header again if you like 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭ Markus Antonius

I've had to turn this off. Boards must have pushed out an update that broke it. If I click on a link with #latest at the end it was brings me to the very bottom of the last page instead of the latest post. If I turn off the enhancement suite it behaves properly and goes to the latest post.

Odd, I'm not seeing that behaviour at all. Have you a specific thread example? What browser are you using?

By any chance, do you use the "mark forum read" keyboard shortcut (m)? And are the threads in question in a child forum of a forum that you've marked read? Boards did recently make a change there: previously, marking a forum read would only apply to the specific forum. Now it also marks the children of that forum read as well.

I'm using chrome. and it is happening on all threads. these are the options I have set. I don't use mark forum read.

Are you 100% sure the link you're clicking on has #latest at the end of it? The only other thing I can think of that would give the result you're describing is if you're clicking the arrow in the "Last Post" column:

With the extension enabled, that will bring you to the actual last post in the thread. If the extension is disabled, it will bring you to the latest unread post.

If that is what's happening, then you should click on the thread title instead, not the arrow. The title will bring you to the latest unread post.

If that's not what's happening, I'm running out of ideas. Are you on the latest version of the extension (0.2.10)?

I am accessing the links from Bookmarks under my profile and they do have #latest at the end. regarding the version number it says it is 0.2.5. perhaps I need to upgrade. i'll give that a go

• Advertisement

updated to 0.2.10 and that has resolved the problem. thanks for the help. weird that the previous version suddenly stopped working correctly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement