Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National daily temp anomaly since April. Up and up and up.

Green line = 28 day running. Looking at the longer term trends, I think we are just at the start of renewed warming period after that relatively prolonged cool period that peaked during the Spring and a warming which I reckon will peak during the Winter and the first half of next year.

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

From a subjective perspective, I've noticed how warm the nights have been.

I might take a look later on but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the longest run of excessively warm nights at this time of year on record. Long term average minima for here at least is between 8c and 9c for this time of year and these values just seem so unachievable this year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Torrential downpours with flash flooding on and off all day here in South West Dublin, I could see other parts of the city doing well with sunshine while we were getting one monsoon after another

ECMWF 15 day temp average outlook:

No shift in the temp profile that we have seen since the 2nd half of summer at all. Wave after wave of excessive heat and humidity while only the eastern half of Europe gets to see anything remotely seasonal. Too early to say at this stage, but it wouldn't surprise me at all looking this forecast that this September could end up being one of the warmest on record. Not sure what is happening to the north Atlantic circulation, but the lack of any real circulation over the ocean that we have witnessed these last two months is totally abnormal. What is the cause? I don't know but the fact that temperatures in the Arctic region are running way above normal suggests that this could be one of possibly many drivers of this ongoing hell pattern.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not sure that the Arctic temperatures are "way above normal". In fact, the majority of summer Arctic temperatures have been slightly below normal and it has been cooling off on par with average there with the exception of the last day or two...

As for 8c and 9c overnight minimas - around these parts, these are the ~10c or lower overnight minima recorded recently:

Sept 7th: 10.2c

Sept 5th: 10.4c

Sept 2nd: 10.8c

Aug 30th: 9.3c

Aug 29th: 8.1c

Aug 28th: 7.8c

Aug 27th: 10.4c

Aug 26th: 9.6c

Aug 25th: 9.5c

Aug 24th: 9.8c

So over the seventeen nights, we've had six nights of 11c or more. Not that bad I'd say.

While it seems average (thereabouts) north of the 80th, it isn't so much so south of it Danno.

Edit, and this is the 30 day 'hindcast'.

Excessive warmth, for whatever reason, became lodged between France and Iceland during the 2nd half of July and has not budged at all really, and even when it did, it returned almost instantly. I just don't know what is going on with that to be honest and can only speculate.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Hate this warm humid weather with a passion. I can accept it more to an extent when its summer because its summer but not in September when I'm getting into autumn mode. The mild humid nights of late are getting on my nerves .

Its feels like we are in the middle of summer temperature wise. Looking forward to it being fresher over the weekend.

Warm Septembers don't seem to bode well in recent times for those wanting a cold winter ,that's another thing I don't like about this current warmth. I know we are only 10 days into the month but I'd be surprised if the tone for the month overall has not been set ,so I think it is likely September will come in well above average . Just hope that doesn't set the tone for the following coming months.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. Same. Probably my least favourite weather is grey and humid weather. Awful. Would prefer almost anything over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

This would have been an Epic Summer to rival or even surpass the greats and even I would have put up with the humidity.............if we had gotten more blue skies with the persistent High Pressure all Summer, instead for most of it the High has actually capped/trapped persistent cloud rendering what could have been an Epic Summer into a muggy humid dull Summer for the most part except for a couple of weeks here and there. The only consolation is that the UK fared the same and didn't even get the great 10 days in July like us. Nothing worse than us enduring a 'Meh' Summer, yet only 90km across the Irish Sea, see them enjoy an Epic Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Will summer ever end?

Another day where I have the feeling that summer will last 6 months once again. Coastal Wicklow location where any prospect of rain has consistently fallen away as the sun constantly breaks up the clouds. There has been approximately one day in the past few months where it rained all day and I can only recall a handful of times we even had some showers.

I'm sick of this two season climate we have!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is nothing unusual about getting summer style temperatures and a warm spell during first half of September, we get one nearly every September. We will be back into autumnal conditions very soon and have about 8 months of cool, chilly and cold weather ahead of us. I would love another 3 weeks of summer warmth and sunshine and then the switch to autumn proper in October. We don't get enough dry, warm and sunny weather in this country so have made the most of the lovely weather over the past week. It will probably be mid May before we see 20C again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

While I agree with much of what you say Gonzo we will surely see 20c again this year and probably again this month. September 2021 will be in the top 5 warmest on record at least. Sure it was 27.9c at the start of the week! I'd say we will see 20c in September again and October maybe not November.

I am of the growing belief that rain in the summer is almost as rare as snow in the winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Great growing conditions for the grass. Fair amount of rain last week and warm temperatures.

Lovely day today. Warm and some sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

East coast of Ireland, coastal south Dublin and north Wicklow, is my own area, and for sure this is becoming more believable. I haven't seen a good rain in weeks or months at this stage. Snow in the winter just gone never materialised either when it seemed to hit slightly more inland. It's like we are in a little dry, heat bubble here. I'm going to have to move west I think for some cooler, wetter weather.

This is generally true

June and July often the driest locally here

We've been lucky at my location to catch some wet thunderstorms this summer

But other than that minimal rain

This is probably going to be one of my last regular posts on this site for a while,I've given the new format a chance but it's a mare and a headache on the eyed

Its just a pain to navigate

I'll drop back if there's significant weather

I'm afraid you'd be jumping from the frying pan into the fire if you did move west. Rain seems to be becoming a thing of the past in these parts and if it is cooler weather you are after, then forget it. I honestly can't remember the last time I have felt in anyway cool. Even during other humid spells in other years, you'd get a bit of a breeze to help a little, but even those normal slight breezes have ceased to be. Heat and humidity aside, I don't recall such an extended period of stagnant, unchangeable, nothing weather in all of my born days.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

The new moon coming in very good. Standing straight up. Good weather to come. My father swore by it and that generation. He saying was if you could hang your hat off it , sign of very bad weather to come , in other words if it’s lying on it’s back , no good 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I picked an inland western station, Newport Furnace. June, July below average rainfall, August above. Drier than average summer. But plenty of rain fell. Same for Mt. Dillon.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It gets increasingly difficult to get temperatures of 20C once we reach October. This mornings GFS is showing up a major heat plume over Ireland for the final week of September with temperatures possibly reaching 25C if it verified but it is very unlikely to verify being in the extended range of FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The latest 20C on record for Ireland is 20.0C at Rathfarnham Castle (Dublin) on 4 November 1946. The earliest 20C on record I cannot 100% confirm but the earliest I am aware of is 20.7C at Valentia (Kerry) on 19 March 2005.

The latest 20C for Meath for Gonzo's interest is 20.2C at Navan on 27 October 2005 whilst the earliest is 21.0C at Warrenstown on 25 March 2012 (Dunsany achieved 20.0C same day and Navan achieved 20.6C).

I didn't think 20C was possible in November! In 1946 that must have been a direct hit African plume.

Today's models certainly have plenty of scope for low 20's at times over the next 2 to 3 weeks. My local station of Dunsany is currently running at 3C above average and with temperatures set to remain above average for the forseeable future, it will be interesting to see where we end up by the end of the month. This will most definitely be a warmer than average September.

Looking back at my own records here in Durrow going back to 2008, my latest 20c+ was October 8th (2010), whilst my earliest 20c+ was March 28th (2012), a stretch of 5mths and 3wks between the two calendar dates.

Rathfarnham - right under the Dublin mountains, there was some fohn effect that day!

I recall we got 20c + here in October about 2 or 3 years ago (can't remember exactly) as did a lot of places in the country.

Was lovely to be out in the (relatively) coolish air tonight and long may such nights continue.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yep, temperatures in the high teens and low 20s by November usually require the foehn effect coming into play with an ideal wind direction such as a southerly/southwesterly for Dublin in this instance. The only other time that November recorded 20C in this country was 1 November 2015 when Dooks (Kerry) achieved 20.1C which became our national record.

The day Oneiric 3 is thinking of is 10 October 2018 which was true Indian Summer conditions as late September had recorded some unusually cold nights and plenty of grass frost. Here's a selection of places that achieved 20C or more that day:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

Jaysus tis lashing here in Cork City - I didn't see that coming (hadn't seen WF)

Advertisement