Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

28c at Shannon at 4pm.

New record for them as old one is just over 26c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed, 27.6C on the METAR.

Claremorris also has broken its September record of 25.1C from 1991 with 25.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

August 1947 was similar to the Augusts of 1976 and 1995 so hardly a bad summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Once again, despite the equally high temps over in the UK, Ireland bears the brunt of the high dewpoints.

There is just no end to this crap at all. Now well into September and we'd normally be looking at getting our first ground frosts of the year. Instead, this is what continue to endure because for whatever reason, this pattern is continuing to repeat itself with abnormal regularity over the last 2 months.

New Moon

• Advertisement

The data I posted was literally from last week and covered the 7 day period of it.

New Moon

Data up to the 4th. Still close to (which isn't cold) or above average with negative figures few and far between. (from Met Eireann)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

The sky is clear blue and the winds are light and it’s September. I certainly wouldn’t describe that as ‘Crap’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Agri report 25-31 August. When I commented yesterday, 6 September. I said during the last week the day time high temps were 3-4c below normal. Last week from yesterday was 31st August to 6th September.

Your agri report from 25th Aug- 31 Aug is 6 days behind, when we had temps in the mid 20s, and obviously isn't going to show below average daily highs, like the week 31 Aug to 6th September would across the eastern half of the country.

• Advertisement

Yes because that mean temp data includes the cloudy milder nights already mentioned. I said daytime highs. We had day time highs of 14-15c in the eastern half of the country last week. The warmer nights pushed up the daily mean.

Ask Gonzo!! He pointed out that daytime max were low under the cloudy easterly during the later days of last week.

Exactly. You don't usually have ground frost coming in on 7th September. You can but it's more normal not to. After 21st September is when the cooler nights usually kick in.

I can't understand how anyone would call today 'crap'. Given we know the amount of rain will eventually come and how miserable it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Well that was and still is a beautiful day, first sunny day since Saturday week.

Hoping tomorrow stays dry and we get another warm one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another lovely day here in Meath. I have to admit I am a bit jealous of the warmer temperatures further west and can't help but think how much warmer this would have been if this had occurred a few weeks ago with the Irish sea chill having much less of an impact.

Oneiric clearly does not like warm/hot weather and he is well entitled to that opinion just as all of us are with different weather styles. I hate wind/rain/storms, Atlantic muck as much as Oneiric hates the current warm spell. Not everyone likes cold/snow either and they are entitled those viewpoints too.

Every one of us has a different opinion on what is lovely, comfortable or horrible in terms of weather throughout the year and those viewpoints have to be respected, we are not all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fine end to fine day in Greystones.

Geez lads and lassies, calm it. Today was a very warm September day, last Tuesday was a quite cool August day. It's weather. Some people find today oppressive, some found last Tuesday miserable. Equally some found today stunning and last some found Tuesday refreshing. A back-and-forth about this will not change people's perception much. No point slogging it out and spiralling into a fight over something we have very little control over for the most part.

Back at the ranch, some patchy high cloud pushing up from the south. A mild 21c at sunset.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful Balmy Evening. You wouldn’t think it was September

High of 27.2° in Kildare today which makes it my warmest September Day on record

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Scorcher today in Kerry, got up to 28.0C here out by the coast and still 20.6C.

Tralee Bay a short time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very nice and quite unusual to have it 22 degrees and it now dark out. A lovely evening, turns to night quickly this time of year. wonderful to get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Still 18 degrees in Cork City - positively balmy!

Was Danno's 28.3c mentioned on the news weather report, or Dooks 28.6c?

Was watching Ireland v Serbia.

21c in the car driving in Portlaoise town. Small bit of urban heat build up. At 22.30 that is something else for 7th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In a way, it makes us more similar right now to warmer countries in summer as they get darker earlier being closer to Equator. Loving this last hurrah of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Great day at the beach.

Waters getting a bit colder though despite temperature of nearly 27c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

27.9 at Valentia was mentioned after the Six One news.

Here's the midday sounding, with 15.8-degree T850 easily giving us that 28 on the ground. Some strong subsidence warming there, especially notable in the 00Z sounding (second image), which had a marginally higher T850 of 16.2 C.

Here is an interesting statistic:

My warmest ever August day was 26th August 2021 with 26.5c recorded (Records back to 2008)

My warmest ever September day was today with 28.3c recorded.

Prior to today 25.7c was my warmest September day recorded in 2016.

Prior to this year 25.8c was my Warmest August day recorded in 2018.

It goes to show how poor a run of Augusts we've been getting the last two decades.

• Advertisement

Still 23c at 11pm in Valentia! With a rain shower!

Advertisement