Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kin - RTE & AMC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Darklands didn't have even half the budget in fairness to it. Darklands was put forward by VMTV to the BAI for License fee funding, it was hoped that the series would get a bigger producer involved but none ever materialized leaving the series with very little in terms of funding, I imagine Virgin Media didn't give much towards that production with most of the budget coming from the license fee, which i think amounted to just €600,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Losing interest in Kin after last night's episode. It's not awful, neither does it offer anything new or noteworthy.

Does anyone else find the sound dreadful? Could barely make out parts of the dialogue, a lot of mumbled lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was disappointing it didn’t show the Noel fella getting shot. I think we can all agree, for a series about gangland, the actual shootings and killings are a major source of enjoyment to the viewer.

Also, where even did this Noel fella come out from?? Had he been in the story before or even explanation that she was gonna contact him for the hit job??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well in fairness, if you don't know who Noel is you haven't being paying any attention to the show so far. Hardly qualifies you to be so critical of it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So an episode and a half then. That death is what the entire show pivots on and every action following it has consequential reactions. Over an eight episode series I don't think they've overdone it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@French Toast I think the sound quality has been pretty good overall, what parts did you find strange?

One thing that bothered me about episode 3 was the camera effects at the start (and overall the camera work has been a strong point imo in the episodes so far). When Amanda was driving to meet Noel and collect the hit car the camera was positioned in the back seat of her car looking forward out of the car window. Only she was in focus, and everything else was intentionally blurred - did not like that shot, made me feel a twinge of motion sickness. Also when she got there and was talking to Noel, once again only the 2 of them were in focus but the background, a large glass building, was blurred completely out of focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I'm giving up after EP2 can't even be arsed watching 3.

Dull story line, nothing new, acting is as wooden as a lumber yard

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

In the early stages of episode 3 lastnight the two brothers had a conversation downstairs before the funeral. The dialogue there was muttered/whispered in quite low, raspy tones. Wasn't the first time I'd noticed it, had myself convinced I need a sound-bar for d'telly but a few have mentioned it on Twitter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I literally couldn't understand a single word out of the dead kids father on last nights episode, mumbling fool. Forget about subtitles for yanks i needed them last night

I'll stick with it but by Jesus it's very drab and tedious thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thought it was my ears . He speaks without moving his mouth and his teeth almost get in the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Darklands had a good bit more funding than just the BAI - it got development money from Screen Ireland (50k), production funding from Screen Ireland (300k), and between 500k and 1m in Section 481 tax credits (as well as the 500k it got from BAI Sound & Vision fund). So around 1.5m of public funds, as well as whatever Virgin kicked in, which as you suggest was probably very little. Total budget would have been a lot less than KIN, as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are we sure Moore is dead and that death announcement was for the car dealer guy?

Were starting to see the dark side of Eamonn after his ex wife's news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,109 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No offence but it would be less believable if they flew through the death of a teenage son of a leading character. That wouldn't be believable what so ever.

To answer that theory...

I think we can safely say Moore is dead.

If you check the casting list you will see that Lloyd Cooney who plays Caolan Moore is listed as being in three episodes.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

Do you work in tv? Seem to be the most reliable source of info here on how it all works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

As far as I can see, some people will find fault regardless. Best just to accept that like every other show, some people like it, others don't - and leave it that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

That's the last sunbed makes it tru dublin port unchecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Having seen ep3 it's hard to see how Viking or Jimmy will be able to handle things going forward Frank is shiting himself and the other development leaves things very up in the air for Michael. Gonna be interesting to see how many foot soldiers each side has when the canons start firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree with what posters are saying that Kin is slow paced and a bit predictable. I'll stick with it though.

One question - Is Aunty Birdy Uncle Franks sister or wife?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Definitely not wife - either sister or possibly a sister-in-law, but I presumed sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

He was in the first episode supplying a shipment of dodgy cars to the dealership, which is why she went to him to get a car for the hit.

I'm amazed anyone could watch the show and be confused about who he was. There was a big blue car transporter in every scene he was in, to remind you he was the car supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Slow moving so far . Hope it speeds up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,595 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought that too but was he having a fit or attack, blurred vision etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Also you can't just casually shoot a lock, and most especially not a chain, open. Bullets can't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,595 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah, contextually, straight shooting a lock in a dumb action film is maybe passable, like most other ridiculous stuff that happens in said movies.

A gangland drama, a guy reaching his hand around the door and somehow blindly shooting a lock open would be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He made a brief appearance in the first episode delivering bogy cars to the dealership.....and a brief appearance in last nights delivering the car for the hit, kind of makes sense for the story line to bump off a bit part player first ....also notice his bird who made the call was Fran's missus from L/H who got petrol bombed ......wonder if anyone else from the cast will make the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I thought last nights episode was decent. It's not the most exciting show and it's unlikely to be one we will be talking about in years to come, but it does the job on a Sunday evening before you hop into bed.

I don't think any of the characters are particularly likeable, which is nearly a complete contrast to love/hate where they were all so good. It's a bit slow and I fear it could be a bit predictable, although there have been a few unexpected bits.

Surely going to heat up now anyway with a gang war pending between the Kinsellas and Cunningham/Moores gang. How many episodes is the series?

• Advertisement

I know he provided the car, that was in the recent episode, so 2 scenes that one and the ending where his body is shown. I just didn’t remember him from episode 1, he wasn’t exactly a big Parton it.

The gun and gear was in the car, so you can probably say he provided them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He was in the scene in the dealership in the first episode with Amanda about finding new buyers/sellers for stolen cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No mention of Bren yet, jimmy and michaels father.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just finished episode 3. It's watchable, but so so slow. It's like watching the Angelus at times. Sooo much time wasted with characters staring into space. I find Amanda to be a terrible actor. Just has the same frown on her face the whole time, speaks far too slow.

I thought the back door being locked might have been a ploy to cross Mikey. I can see the Kinsella's turning on each other.

Why exactly is Eamon so emotionally invested in Moore? He's just a drug supplier. One dies, another replaces him. Eamon still makes his money. It's actually even now, one dead each so makes more sense for Eamon to go to Moores gang now to tell them that's the end of it. Even Frank could turn around and say to Eamon that if he calls it all square, he'll buy all his gear from him from now on.

AMC have an unnatural amount of minorities in this by the way. I'd say 40% of the non gang members cast is black.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Its-not-lupus

Not only that but they've also shafted themselves with their supplier for product as Eamonn won't be selling them anymore.

So I'd say they'll get a new supplier which will come with extra Muscle/Logistics/Weapons and a whole new raft of problems. 1 paymaster will become 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Fair enough. I thought the chain was on the inside of the door and once the links were broken he'd be out. I saw on youtube the lock was outside.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe him and Moore have some sort of connection that we don't know about yet. Could also be a respect thing as well. Eamon said he was off limits and they killed him. Shows a lack of respect and makes him look weak if he just lets it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Every time Eamon has tried to intervene (Agreeing to talk to Moore, organising compo after the shooting), the younger Kinsellas have escalated things. Him telling Moore's gang to leave it be, only for the Kinsella's to carry out another shooting would leave him looking like he has no authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I presumed they were just stashing the drugs in the sunbeds, not importing them that way. Gardaí are surely up to speed with tanning salons being used to launder money at this stage.

Wasn't it Moore who started it though? Wasn't Moore the one who shot someone in Franks gang? Then Frank asked Eamon to sort it out and Eamon was like "Meh, he buys all his stuff from me, not like you". Then Viking took it upon himself to shoot at Moore.

But it's all a bit one sided. I can't remember exactly what happened at the very start of episode one, did Moore kill one of franks gang or was it just a beating or something? So Moore's have inflicted injury in ep.1 and now 2 deaths whereas Franks gang have shot at Moores from a distance (no injuries from what is mentioned) and one death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm guessing Eamon has some dirt on Frank's sexuality which he is using for leverage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I wondered if the man bun one-note acting mumbler had set up his brother, for shagging the missus. He had the tantrum about him pre funeral, and did go on about the exit door. It would also be a neat way of not letting sad-face beardy ever be allowed to see his daughter. Which could be revenge for sad-face being present at the son’s death, and not somehow saving him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looked like that Junkies iron burns are starting to heel up. Btw that actor looks familiar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I was an altarboy in that church ( in real life its Greenhills D 12) years ago ,and the express funeral service was popular , they ran a tight ship , corpse in the hearse in 15 minutes or your donation back!

I hope Jimmy (bad actor), Amanda (bad actor) and Gillen (talking from side of mouth) get killed off soon.

Mikeys daughter will probably be killed eventually.

Eric is alright. His line about telling the guards to **** off could be seen coming a mile away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

8 episodes ffs

its definitely no love hate.

at this point frank needs to grow a pair and top eamonn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I normally will try and watch these type of irish dramas for at least a season, but I'm not sure if I can continue after that episode. 20 **** minutes of a funeral scene. It was like pulling teeth. The shooting scene was well done but everything else is woeful. Dreadful acting, cringe dialogue and just a very poor pacing and script.

They had a huge budget and a very experienced cast. Is that really the best they can come up with?

Moore set alight few of their stash houses I think. Don’t think he had shot or killed anyone. Then the Viking wanted to get approval to get him, couldn’t get it, so he squared up to him and hit hit with a few soaps from Moore and his gang. Then enraged the Viking goes home and gets a gun, and fires stupidly while driving at a large group of Moore gang. It was said someone got shot but not how serious. I wold blame the Viking for all this as he took things up an unnecessary high level without considering the impacts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement