Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dunnes eye is distracting. What happened it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think it's part of the plot...think the husband must be violent towards her...it's a fair shiner all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I thought that at the start but I googled her and it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

That's a birth mark under her eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She's very good and very sexy , husbands a gimp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

• Registered Users Posts: 84,990 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Michael, Jamie's real dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Seriously...it's been putting me off the the whole time... surprised she got cast with that...must say it's very off putting...I was sure it was part of the storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Possibly, that scene confused me a bit

Is the trailer for episode 3 out yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Agreed. I’m not saying it’s better than Love/Hate nor have I any idea whether it’ll match it. My only point is that Love/Hate was pretty poor at the start and this show deserves a chance. I think it’s poised to end this season pretty well.

Beg to differ. I almost avoided the rest of Love/Hate after the first season. It resembled a third-rate copy of The Wire. Thankfully didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Well thank goodness you are not a casting director with your ignorant attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

There was a girl involved so he didn't mind that scene

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's a pointless adition , him being a mob boss with pressure from all sides is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's shite so far. Needs to ramp up the killing to be somewhat interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Gosh , I was going to watch it later but the reviews here and elsewhere, not exactly inspiring.

You know things are bad when the discussion centres around a Cast member's Birth Mark. (I will be honest and admit, I did think it was a black eye) not being judgemental, just what I thought.

I foolishly wasted another hour of my life watching another Series "Vigil ' , now there's a floating Turd if I ever saw one, absolutely woeful.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

One of the problems with Love Hate was that most of the main characters were killed off after season 3. We can thank RTE for that as they refused to ever commit to the show. Season 4 and 5 ended up being poor as the likes of Darren, Tommy and John Boy were all dead.

A slow start is not bad if it picks up. But it does need to start picking up soon or people will start tuning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its moving far too slow I will give the 3rd episode a watch but that will probably be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The 1st season of love/hate was better than the season with the dentist/police surveillance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No it is promoting Irish TV Drama on RTÉ, because they've just realised how important it is 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

EJS is way too intense an actor for my liking. It makes him seem sane in every role, especially when he keeps the beard and tied up hair looking the same. He needs to relax a bit more. I cannot see him ever reaching the levels of Leonardo DiCaprio.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not that you should try to promote an Irish composer or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Enjoying it so far... some stuff being very telegraphed though!

Post edited by Sleepy on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sure John Boy from Love/Hate lived in Drumcondra overlooking the river,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Am I the only one here who can appreciate atmospheric episodes in a drama which serve as exposition of characters' motivations and building blocks for future plot lines? Those who want every episode of a drama to be action-packed are, in my view, perhaps conditioned by the likes of Love/Hate which had to be rushed on account of having a smaller production budget and thus fewer episodes per season. It didn't allow time for people to connect with the characters as well as it might had the seasons been even just a few episodes longer.

Season one of Breaking Bad had an episode (#4) which was almost entirely centred around Walt revealing his cancer diagnosis to his family and dealing with the fallout from that - it comes up at a family barbecue after Walt. jr asks how Walt and Skyler met and Skyler bursts into tears because she's been hiding the cancer diagnosis from everyone, and literally the entire first half of the episode is Walt explaining things to Hank and Marie and arguing with everyone over whether he should try to get a second opinion and try to get treated. The second half of the episode has Walt going to Eliot's birthday party and triggering his latent jealousy over how successful his old company became after he walked away from it and his shareholding. Meanwhile, Jesse couch-surfs and ends up going back to his family home where we learn about the sibling favouritism etc which defines his life.

Those commenting here would undoubtedly have decried the episode as "FFS nothing happens in this show" and probably gone as far as to rubbish the rest of the season before it had even happened. And that season was actually an episode shorter than Kin is going to be.

Bigger budgets allow slow burn character development in a way that RTE dramas produced without international funding tend to lack. That's a good thing in my view. Too many things happened in Love/Hate without nearly enough time for them to be considered explosive or twisty (for instance in season one, Darren pieces together the truth about Hughie shooting Robbie with seemingly no actual buildup, it comes out of nowhere) - what happened last night in Kin is setting up sub plots which will be able to reach crescendos without feeling like those crescendos weren't earned, which unfortunately some sub plots in previous RTE dramas definitely suffered from.

Just my opinion. Very much enjoying it so far, but with a bigger budget and a longer season I wasn't expecting every episode to be action-driven. Dramas are better when there's a mixture of action-packed episodes and character-driven episodes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes the amount of people who just want pew-pew-pew action ALL THE TIME in dramas are just ridiculous. There has to be time to let the characters breathe and settle into their own space. I much prefer dramas where the layers of a character are peeled back slowly. For example, there is definitely more to the Michael/Amanda relationship that we have been let see so far. Their first sight of each other after his release from prison gave a hint of this as well as the discussion between the brothers last night.

However there are a couple of very one-dimensional characters so far including Eric who seems very one note.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Whats annoying me now is the blurry focus of the camera and the half a scene shot then switching to the other side of the same scene. I dont know much about camera work and how to shoot a tv show but this is really annnoying me for some reason.

Story is all a bit bland at the moment and will give it another episode or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I know it's off topic, but I don't think Tommy actually died. He got beaten up badly by Nidge and was in hospital for a while and was not the same after that. I think he had a relapse at some point as well, but I don't recall him dying.

For the record, I am enjoying Kin so far. Having seen a few repeats of Love/Hate, I thought it was compelling all the way through, including the first season that some people thought wasn't great. As I said before, Kin was always going to suffer by comparisons with Love/Hate. In fact, to some extent, other non-crime-related dramas shown on RTE have been compared against Love/Hate.

Advertisement