Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Westernview

Agree totally. The top teams don't even discuss the idea of deliberately losing a provincial final. It's a sign of weakness. Win and face the next challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Assuming everyone is fit, I'd say we'll put McBrien on Comer, Paddy or Callinan on Walsh, Coyne or Brick on Finnerty and Coen on Conroy.

We'll need a big improvement at MF - Conroy, Maher and McDaid/Kelly (if fit) are better than our MF at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'd agree that McBrien should definitely take Comer, think it will be Callinan on Walsh as he seems to be our designated man marker, would put Coyne on Finnerty as he would be like glue which Finnerty doesn't like and also agree with Coen taking Conroy.

If we played (or could play) our best midfielders in their correct position, then it would be a different story.

I get the feeling that Brickenden will be marking Comer even though I'd prefer McBrien. McStay seems to have a lot of faith in Brick.

Forecast for Sunday is for dry day with gentle easterly breeze. Will take that over what we had last year up there.

On a separate topic this podcast on McGuinness is worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

If Joe Brolly sat down in the same pub as me, I'd have to get up and find another place to have a pint - a narcissistic gosbhite, no way would I listen to any podcast of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I’m the same, the man loves nothing more than the sound of his own voice. He’s the absolute definition of a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I've a funny feeling you're spot on with Brick/Comer.

The bigger question for me is if they'd then use David to sweep around 6 similar to the Roscommon 1st half or, less likely, if they'd stick him on Kelly similar to his role on Smith in the Roscommon 2nd half. Hoping it'll be the 6 role, he'd be a huge help on keeping Finnerty & Comer in check, but it's toss of a coin stuff in my head.

With that in mind, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Kelly. Fair chance he'll be dropping deep sweeping so a small chance they'll just let him but equally still a big threat breaking from there. Ruane/Flynn/Carney/McBrien/McHugh tagging him all with big pros and big cons. I'd probably go with Donnacha McHugh myself but no idea what management might be thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Quick question, are the seats number adhered to in Pearce Stadium in the stand? Or, is it just sit anywhere?

I'd say the availability of Durcan will decide what role McBrien has. If both Durcan and McLaughlin aren't available McStay may feel he needs McBrien in half back line as an attacking threat. Don't think Hession on his own will keep Galway pushed back enough. No nicer sight than seeing Mayo half backs surging forward and Galway forwards trying to track them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

Seat numbers are adhered to everywhere now.It just took a while for people to get used to it outside of Croker.

• Advertisement

Stand tickets available now

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

as above poster. Seated Stand tickets available. I managed to book 4 stand tickets

I'd say Brolly would quickly get over that disappointment of you leaving. There's no obligation on you to listen to it at all.

I posted that for anyone who is interested in an insight into McGuinness and his methods. We could do with his cold logical thinking in Mayo football at all levels.

Logical!? He's a mess of contradictions and changes his views to suit his agenda or whichever team is in vogue.

Don't worry, I have no intention of listening 😀

I don't read the Sunday Indo for several reasons, him being one of them.

I was referring to McGuinness. Seems I unintentionally hit a few nerves there posting that link.

Anyway I enjoyed the listen so others may too.

A little disappointed with his 'analysis' of the Derry/Donegal game. I'd disagree with anyone suggesting it would have been fine if Lynch had been at home in nets. In reality, at least 2 and more likely all 3 of the 3 restart goals would have been scored even with a 2nd Lynch back there.

Derry were pushing 8v4 inside the Donegal 45 meaning Donegal were always likely to dominate 50/50 breaking balls in the middle (a brave enough call for Donegal given if Derry had won many of those balls they'd have had a serious overload inside the Donegal 45 - but Derry only managed 1 point off the 12 or so Donegal kicks they won long showing Donegal worked back hard and fast on each loss). Add in Patton's driven low trajectory kicks minimising the chance for lads to shuffle back or get under the ball and Donegal usually kicked to advantage with midfielders like McGee dominating more than his fair share of the few 50/50 balls. With nearly every phase having the Donegal lads completely outwork and outpace their Derry taggers, leading to the all too common 6v2 or 4v2 breaks they had. It was a total restart breakdown (mostly positional but a very rare lack of energy/work-rate contributed) rather than just a keeper positional problem for me.

I really enjoyed Dean Rock & Aaron Kernan's look at the game on Rock's new "GAAGO: The Analysis Show" YouTube channel (especially Rock's contributions). They dug well beyond the surface (e.g. smaller details like Lynch always looking to be the man scrambling back to the line +70m rather than a few defenders scrambling back a line each at 10-15m), something lacking in a lot of the other coverage around the game. You'd love to see the likes of a Canavan or a Horan joining in with them.

Good points. Well we will never know how the game would have panned out with the goalkeeper staying between the posts but it seems unlikely that Donegal would win relying more on points. Man for man Derry have better players.

Thanks I'll listen to that link. Haven't heard any of those pods. Another excellent Free State one is an interview with Pat Gilroy and how he changed Dublin football. Some great anecdotes from his time in charge.

If you are looking for an "insight" (to use your term) on any topic or subject, you won't get it from Joe Brolly.

• Advertisement

Have one spare stand ticket available (had to buy an extra to get 2 child tickets) if anyone's interested, section B

Selling for 30 (5 less than face value)

They really make it very difficult to bring kids to the games which you would think they'd be trying to encourage

Yeah, this is the first time I've encountered this particular restriction but it's a right PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I wonder why did they do it for this match. I was looking on ticketmaster there, and there are loads of tickets available for the stand now. Did organisers think there would be bigger demand and that it would be a sell out. I don't think there is huge appetite for this match. It's not knockout, and whichever team wins/loses - the repercussions are not a whole lot different. They will probably be in a tough group anyway. And then there will be another (hopefully) at least 4 more matches in quick succession in the coming weeks, which makes it an expensive exercise to attend them.

Mayo team named:

Mayo: 1 Colm Reape, 2 Jack Coyne, 3 Rory Brickenden, 4 Sam Callinan, 5 Paddy Durcan, 6 David McBrien, 7 Donnacha McHugh, 8 Stephen Coen, 9 Matthew Ruane, 10 Jordan Flynn, 11 Fergal Boland, 12 Jack Carney, 13 Aidan O’Shea, 14 Tommy Conroy, 15 Ryan O’Donoghue

Subs: 16 Rob Hennelly, 17 Enda Hession, 18 Conor Loftus, 19 Darren McHale, 20 Eoghan McLaughlin, 21 Cillian O’Connor, 22 Diarmuid O’Connor, 23 Padraig O’Hora, 24 Kevin Quinn, 25 Paul Towey, 26 Bob Tuohy

Galway name Comer & Maher to start, if that's the case then it's just McDaid missing for them I think?

Yeah, I presume they thought there'd be a bigger crowd than it looks like there will be

Yeah. McDaid the only one of the obvious starters.

They'd have been hoping for the likes of Patrick Kelly or Tomo Culhane to push towards regular first 15 this year, but both (Kelly's back is a long time issue for him and Culhane picking up the knock after coming on against London) out injured.

Hernan just back into the squad after his Erasmus travels and heard James McLaughlin was back playing with his club at the weekend after his too, so two more you'd expect to be pushing for the 26 when they get a few more sessions into their legs (depending on how dedicated they were on staying at the usual fitness level). That said, the likes of young O'Neill well capable of holding his spot against some of the more well known names if they're anything less than 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I've one stand ticket available. In Spain so won't be able to make it.

€30.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

both squads almost at full strength (albeit not full fitness)

Weather promised good

I think it could be a cracker.

Won’t be a kick of the ball in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

I have 2 stand tickets, face value is €70 for both but will sell for €50

Advertisement