Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Both presumably injury/fitness-related? Maybe one of them could be sprung at the last minute though…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

Can't make changes to the 26 unless there's a doctors cert that one of the original 26 is ill/injured, so that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

The Rossies are vulnerable right now & are long overdue a good hiding by Mayo .

Whether this team has the ruthlessness to do so is another matter.

Going for a patchy 2 point win for Mayo, with not much really learnt as to where we are moving forward as a unit.

Post edited by Be-Jaysus on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Westernview

Expecting a Mayo win today.

Would like to see more urgency in moving the ball from defence to attack.

Today will tell if other forwards are going to take some of the scoring responsibility off ROD. If there isn't improvement today its hard to see it happening in later games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Lovely day for it thankfully but I think could be a dour aul game, hopefully we'll come out the right side of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

congrats to mayo on a great win yesterday……….connaught champions in waiting…..

Decent win yesterday, not a great performance though IMO. Our attack is so slow most of the time, it makes us very easy to defend against; the few times we moved it quickly, we got scores but unless we do that more often, we're going nowhere. The FF line played better individually but I didn't think they played any better as a unit

Midfield is a big problem, not able to win clean ball and not able to win breaks. On at least two occasions yesterday, we lost 3 of our own long kickouts on the bounce; against a better team, that's probably 4-6 points conceded and the game is over (like the Dublin game last year). And it's not like Roscommon have a huge midfield or anything.

We might well win Connacht but only because Galway aren't great either; if we're drawn in a tough group, we might not even make a QF IMO

Thanks for the good wishes, it's "Connacht" though

The pitch in the Hyde was in pristine condition yesterday, a real credit to whoever looks after it considering how the weather has been. The new stand is nice although the seats are at a fairly shallow angle (similar to the stand in the Gaelic Grounds) so you're much closer to pitch level even when you go a good bit back and the view obviously isn't as good as you'd expect because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

Midfield is a **** show. Gonna be majorly exposed (again) down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I was wondering why the Connacht Final isn't in Castlebar? I'm assuming the preliminary qualifier last year doesn't count towards the home and away agreement. Not that your record in Salthill is bad anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Absolutely correct on the mid-field. We have Ruane, Coen, Flynn, McHugh, Carney out around there. Plenty of presence, but can't win clean possession by catching it, and cannot seem to win breaking-ball either.

It is becoming more obvious as every game is developing that Mayo are completely relying on Ryan O'Donoghue, and maybe Aidan O'Shea to a lesser extent to at least create some height/strength advantage.

Yeah, 2022 Connacht game was in Castlebar but the prelim QF last year was home for ye because ye were a 2nd placed team and we were a 3rd placed team

Good to see Tommy Conroy find some form, hopefully he can kick-on this summer.

We are so reliant on Ryan O Donoghue & he can only carry us so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

Hyde Park is class, they did some job, shows up how poorly the money on our own redevelopment in MacHale Park was spent,, blue seats like 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Ya it is good to see Conroy play better especially kick a longer range point. Also I think Hession has to start the next day and I think our forgotten man at CB… loftus gets the nod in the half forwards as he got two nice points.

Yeah Loftus , had an immediate impact..

Hes a smart footballer who can slot into a variety of roles & knows where the posts are.

The only negative i can take away from yesterday was not putting the foot on Roscommon when 6 up, too much sideways lateral play and playing the clock down which lead to mistakes and Roscommon missing 2 big chances.

The big hitters wont need a 2nd invitation.

Anyone know if stand tickets will become available this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hopefully. They may be making out the stand tickets are sold out, and trying to flog off terrace tickets first.

I was trying on ticketmaster there for 2 juvenile tickets (€5 each) and one for myself. Says only available in the terreaces. What's the point of that. Can't bring a 5 and 7 year old on to the terrace. They won't be able to see anything. Is it always done like that in Pearce stadium. Never had problem in McHale Park, Croke Park and the hyde last week. Seating for the kids.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with a couple of small kids, it'd be pointless bringing them on the terrace. I see this note on ticketmaster: "Please note there is a limit of one adult to one child per booking in the stand" which would seem to indicate that you can book child tickets in the stand but you can only bring one child/adult so it leaves the likes of us in a bit of a bind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

Season ticket option is there for season tickets so maybe its only open to season ticket holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The worst draw possible?

Tough going if we win or lose on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yea, winning the group and getting the bye which we learned from last year can be very helpful, or rather not winning the group can be very debilitating, is going to be difficult from either Grounp 1 or 2.

Id hope that it doesn't take anything from the Connacht final, play the games as they come.

While the loser of the Connacht final probably has an easier group overall, I think they have less chance of topping that group compared to the Connacht winner i.e. it should be easier to beat Derry at home than beat Dublin at a neutral venue

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Westernview

I think it's a good draw. Nothing to be gained by going into weak groups. We are comfortably a top 8 team and probably higher so would expect to qualify out of either group 1 or 2. Playing the 2 ulster teams should bring us on a lot if we have any capacity for improvement.

The Irish Independent is trying to hype the draw with talk of a 'group of death' facing the winners of the connacht final. An cliched exhaggeration to say the least.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-race-for-sam-mayo-or-galway-face-group-of-death-as-championship-draw-revealed/a535992335.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Maynis

Why have the Groups draws before the Provincial Finals. It introduces an unhelpful dynamic to the matches and takes a bit of the edge off the finals.

Seriously - What's the advantage to the GAA or others in having the draws early? It's like someone was going on holidays so just tried to get it done before they left!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And having it at 3pm on a Tuesday afternoon. Great marketing there lads

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

The matches for Ulster/Leinster Provisional Finals are a week later than Connacht Munster Finals. If they didn't hold them in advance this week (which I agree is awful) it'd have to be a fortnight from now after the Leinster/Ulster games and throw Connacht/Munster Finalists into ~6 days of time to get logistics/setup/fans all sorted. No easy solution, bar an extra couple of weeks in the calandar, which just aren't there with the current structures.

The fact that the current setup leads to Leinster/Ulster Finalists (and the teams they face) being forced into a 6/7 day turnaround between round 1 and round 2 games is a slight bonus for us. We'd be facing a Westmeath side just days after facing Donegal/Armagh away or a Roscommon side just after Dublin away. So a small silver lining there.

• Advertisement

Not ar$ed about the groups.

Win the game, get a trophy,

All Ireland aspirations can be shelved for a couple yrs until more forwards & midfielders from underage are added to this current group which is still relatively young.

Advertisement