Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Westernview

Yes and even go back further to 06 when we had quite an average team carried by McDonald. We threw caution to the wind and scraped by against Dublin. Unlikely we would have got through that by playing safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Last year everyone was complaining that we were too open at the back and coughing up goals. Now we seem to have got on top of that the same people are complaining that we don't have an attacking threat.

The same people are also saying we peaked too early last season by winning the lead. Now the complaints are we don't look ready at all.

Ye can't have it both ways.

Its not about having it both ways. We were open at the back last year because we played a forward at 6 who didn't understand the position. That has been addressed with personnel and defensive formations not through ponderous attacks.

We did peak too early last year. I think most people agree with that. That's a separate issue to attacking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I think you need to ask that point more of some supporters?

Legs go to jelly as soon as things are not working for the team.

Used to be lads throwing headbands on the ground outside Hyde Park when we didn't win a Connacht final. I guess the modern equivalent is lads being comically negative and having mini meltdowns online.

Yeah throwing headbands on the ground is what makes all the difference. Nothing to do with coaching standards and player development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

I agree with a lot of this but it’s difficult to have much of an attacking threat when we keep players midfielders/defenders in forward positions. It may have been a challenge game in all but name but it was depressing to see Mayo start 9 defenders against Monaghan made worse by the fact that they had named a genuinely exciting looking team on paper a couple of days before.

Anyway as I said, they are definitely capable of last four and who knows from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

Personally, I think our current position can be summed up in 3 sentences:

From 1-8, we are good enough to win an All-Ireland.

From 9-15, we are not.

If anything happens to O'Donoghue, we'll have a very short summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I agree with you. Our attack is so basic without Ryan O'Donoghue.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think is the number 8 midfielder that is All-Ireland quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

In the St faq it says:

"You must purchase tickets to 6 Championship games in Football to qualify to buy All Ireland Final tickets" should mayo qualify.

Couldn't get a coherent answer from hq, if New York automatically counted as one of those for those of us that can't make it there.

Last year would have needed to buy a ticket to all championship games bar one (opt out) to qualify for a ticket.

Also the NY game hasn't been considered a season ticket game since ive first bought one and I'd wager since the beginning.

Any season ticket holders heading to NY will need to source tickets elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

Before I reply, can I emphasise that the key words from my original post are "current position". At the moment, Carney is our number one midfielder because he is the only one fit and in form. Is he good enough to win an AI? Yes, I think so. We have other midfielders who are also capable of being one but are nowhere near it at the moment for one reason or other:

Ruane - POTY 21 in the bag only for the final. Form fell off a cliff since and rightly dropped, possibly later than he should have been. Showed a glimpse of a return to form v Derry (his best game in 3 years) and could be an AI winner. If he finds form, does he start at 9, 10 or 11 though?

Diarmuid - has barely played all year and currently injured/recovering from injury. An absolute definite AI winner when he is in form, but does he start at 9, 10 or 11? Personally, I think he should be at 9 as he needs to be in the middle, he always played his best games there.

IMO, they are 2nd and 3rd (but in what order at the moment?) for MF when fit and in form. Then, in no particular order, you have the likes of Coen (can play in a multitude of positions and could do a job at 9), Flynn (better at 12), Tuohy (one for the future, not ready for 9 yet), McBrien (needed at 3 or 6), Loftus (injured, but a half forward anyway), AOS (that ship has sailed) etc. Are they good enough for midfield in an AI final? Some yes, some no. But feel free to disagree! 😉

The NY game has never counted towards your attendance on your season ticket. This game was never a ticketed game until this year (due to the anticipated crowd), it was always first come, first served on the gate for a number of reasons e.g. unfair on those who couldn't travel over, number of Mayo ST holders bigger than capacity of the ground etc. Sure there wasn't even an option for ST holders to purchase (they went straight on general sale), so how could you buy one? In other words, don't worry about it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Previously the ny v Mayo game in ny would not be included as the first championship game ticket, which was included with the ST. We had one opt out after that.

Now it's 6 games to qualify for an AI ticket. I was just wondering if it was counted as the 1 of the 6.

The NY game is not included.

After that it's 7 games (if no replays) to get to an All Ireland.If you include one opt out that leaves 6.

That may be where they are getting that figure from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

U20s well beaten by Leitrim. Probably need a win now against Sligo in the final game

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Wouldn't have expected Donnacha to be too high up the list of possible midfielders at the beginning of the year, but the job he did on Enda Smith would have him right in the conversation too depending on the type of matchup needed.

Very disappointing night for the 20s. Never looked to get near the pace of the game and never got a handle on the Leitrim tactics (the man v man looked great and exciting versus Galway but left us badly exposed against McNulty & Honeyman). Andy, knowing a lot of our lads well, went after their weak point in the air and made hay with it. Honeyman, McNulty, Guckian, Oberwan and Cox all having superb games for them.

Makes the group fierce exciting & wide open going into the final rounds (Galway finishing up next week and the rest of us the following week). Interestingly, Roscommon the only undefeated side. You could still make a genuine case for any of the 5 finishing in at least a semi-final spot, with everyone having it in their own control to manage if they win their remaining games, so all to play for.

I was pleasantly surprised with his performance as well. Wonder what height is he?

It would be great if he could be developed into a midfielder as he seems effective both defensively and attacking wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

He doesn't look to be quite at Aidan's 6'4" but looks clear of lads like Jack Coyne listed as 6'1"…. so probably 6'3"ish or just shy of it. Interestingly, he's one of the player profiles on the official site that doesn't list a height.

Might be just tall enough if he's good enough. Probably needs a few rough edges polished but he's still young.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's looks packed solid at the gealic grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Music Box

The porta-loos behind the goal look to be in constant use. Must be a few weak bladders out there

• Advertisement

No replays on TV is annoying

Conor Hunt from Aghamore on for Paddy - seems like a strange sub to make, did he get any gametime during the league?

Hard to take much from that, not a great performance. Very reliant on ROD, Towey decent when he came on I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We can't read anything into a game v NY but I'm going to anyway.

Conceded two soft goals.

Missed numerous goal chances.

Very reliant on Ryan O'Donoughe.

Hopefully they can have good days against Roscommon and Galway in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Will have to do a prayer circle for Ryan O'Donoghue's health and safety this season because the scores are not coming from anyone else. Tommy Conroy struggled again against what is probably the weakest defence he'll play this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Take ROD out of the equation, the rest of the forwards scored 3 points against a Div 4 team.

You like to think at this stage under Kevin we'd have noticed different patterns of offensive play or found a system that would improve our attacking output , but we seemed to have made no progress since Horan left, (maybe even gone backwards imo)

I've been critical of the slow approach play a number of times here but I'm not sure we can blame management this time. Division 1 forwards should be scoring freely against much lower level opposition regardless of tactics. Rory Beggan scoring as much today as the rest of our forward line is quite an indictment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rather than take the I hope RO'D doesn't get injured angle, I'll go for the I hope we don't see RO'D defending in his own full-back line for the rest of the championship one. He spent enough time there in the league. We need him up the field as much as possible.

No point reading a whole lot into the match but the subs left me scratching my head. Management backed Carr for the majority of last year and wasted plenty of opportunities to give Towey (& McHale - but I think injuries were at play there?) a good league this year.

I thought that one of the main things McStay could bring to the was to increase our attacking options. A year and a half in and I think we're still scratching our heads as to who may or may not break through.

On Conroy, I hoped that yesterday might be a welcome confidence booster for him. His man did a good job on him though and he was fouled at every opportunity, as were plenty of others. It's not often RO'D will pick up 8 very easy frees. I think his other point not from play was a mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You mean starting forwards. Boland, Carney, O'Connor, Towey and McHale scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Why the hell did Mcstay bring Rod out the field when cillian o connor came on?. The man scored 1-09 in the first half and was then made come out to work like a dog up and down the pitch… should of left him as an inside forward and let him do his thing ffs…

hes a superb footballer. Aidan o Shea and tommy Conroy were very poor.

Advertisement