Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ULEZ23

Mayo were 3 up when O’Shea was substituted, imo he should have been left on another while, as usual his grafting and impact is not appreciated.

His replacement o”Connor offered absolutely nothing other than his handy point. It just shows how overrated oconnor was when you take the frees away from him. I heard he caused ructions when he wasn’t handed back that role after another one of his injuries. Fair play to rod for standing his ground on that one. Time coc retired, team is stronger without him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Well done to Galway but fairly sickening to be 2 up with a few mins left and somehow manage to lose it. Bad enough to lose but it's embarrassing to lose it to a Galway team that are as poor as they were today.

Three woeful turnovers in the last few mins, Brick over on the tce side, Loftus in the middle and Ruane under the stand, absolutely kamikaze. Without the benefit of a replay, it's hard to know if it was the fault of the player in possession or the support players.

Looking at the bigger picture though, our forward play is brutal - running the same lines over and over without any real plan to get the ball to ROD/Tommy/Boland for a shot. Mgmt largely to blame for that imo.

On a positive note, at least we improved at MF, won 14/18 of our own kickouts and 7/24 of theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I agree that COC’s time for Mayo is probably up. He hasn’t been the same since that injury he picked up in the league against Clare a few years ago.

However, to say that he was always overrated is madness. He had a lot more in this locker than just frees. He would never have gotten near the top scorer in the championship if he hadn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still think mayo could be dangerous in All Ireland series,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The last free was a joke. I have seen a picture of the mayo lad being tackled around the neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭threeball

I thought ye completely lost your shape when ye took him off. He was a fulcrum around which the attack was working to a degree. When he left it didn't really work at all. He's so powerful he takes minding and creates space for others. Out the field he slows play too much but inside he can retain possession and wait for runners which is Mayos main way of getting scores. In front of goal he's not a finisher so having him as a roaming corner forward makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah I have & it clearly wasn’t, if you can show me the shot where it shows the ball completely over the line , I’ll hold my hands up .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LetticebCivil

Too many players that can run all day but with little football IQ. Lads handing off passes for 25 yards out with an easy point on. Inexplicable. Mayo are not the only team like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

Wonderful cherry picking of the images that didn't show the ball crossing the line. It was shown on RTE in the coverage after the game. Lee had plenty to say about it. Elementary anyway, it didn't affect the result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there two posts ….. brian stafford … know your history cathy , i actually agree with 95% of that post despite the rant

Claremorris must have been hard to listen to tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

There was an error displaying this embed.

Alright bud, whatever you think. We'll forget about the two hand throw straight after this pic that would've meant a penalty to Galway also

Whatever helps the cope anyway. I don't think Wexford are in contention for Sam next year so there's every chance you might join them on 4 All Ireland football titles yet

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree with the first part of that. The default setting for a lot of Mayo players is take a solo or 2 before looking up. Jack Carney, McLaughlin, Mattie and Aidan are often guilty of delaying when the ball could be moved on quicker. Comer in contrast was trying to move the ball on immediately when he received it. A few times in the first half mayo forwards had a chance to shoot for goal but took an extra solo and were closed down.

Regarding Aidan he has repeated the pattern of drifting out the field under almost every manager at club and county level so it's reasonable to conclude that he is deciding to do that himself. He's not going to change at this stage. Billy Joe padden still mentions regularly that Aidan should be playing midfield all the time. 🙄

Post edited by Westernview on

Screenshot of Tommie well ahead of Maher in getting to the ball that led to a Galway point. All academic now but referee was in close attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Another self inflicted implosion, a common theme now.

This Mayo team clearly isn't at the level of it predecessor, i can handle that, but i cant shake off the feeling that Kevin & his management team should be getting more out of this current squad.

Unlikely a different management would improve things much. The main issue is an underage system that isn't producing players of the required standard. Poor decision making at various times reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LetticebCivil

No killer instinct in a lot of the players. Several times Mayo could have kicked on and gone 4 or 5 up. It never materialized and Galway snatched a win . These lads give up so much of their time and their selves to play Inter county football. I will always respect any player on any inter county team for doing o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think it is a management issue as well. We don’t have players of real quality to challenge for SAM but there is a clear tactic to run the ball into the D before you shoot. The players are afraid to shoot from distance. It is happening time and again and as mcstqy would say get the ball to the inside shooters. Carney did it yesterday when a shot was on but was too afraid to pull the trigger. The football is being coached out of them imo with this lateral **** play with no directness.

Mayo actually played close to their potential yesterday in my opinion and that is the level we are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Trampas

Players afraid to shoot from distance is across the game and they are drilled with don’t take on low percentage shots. Possession is more important and take the score if low risk of missing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,895 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

For me a lot of the reason for players not shooting from distance comes down to the goalkeepers. Not long ago a keeper just lumped it down the middle and hoped midfield won it. Nowadays, especially with the top teams, you have keepers who can quickly send the ball distance and virtually land it on top of a needle from a restart.

Because of how teams defend now, opposition have to commit so many players to attack it leaves a lot of space at the back. A ball dropped into a keepers hands fired into that space and it is often a one on one or two on two with a forward bearing down on goal where you would be lucky to just concede a point. I`m not sayong I agree with players not shooting from distance, I find it as frustrating as everyone else seeing players not doing it when a shot is on, but I can see the reasons why they do not or are now being coached not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

Christ almighty I know Mayo got a couple of handy decisions but that ended up as a free in front of the posts, as bad a call as I’ve seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That was crucial (bad) call in my opinion. The team seemed to go into meltdown after that. And Gough got all excited with the roars of the Galway crowd.

Just on the penalty clip above, it's hard to tell if the ball was over the line or not. But Reape was very lucky not to get pulled for charging. He picked up the ball, and just ran head first into Sean Kelly - almost like a rugby charge. If it was an outfield player, I think it would have been pulled up for a free against him.

Bad call for sure.

It's strange how things went to pieces. Apart from poor ref decisions we made a lot unnecessary fouls. Callinans panicked pull down in particular seemed unnecessary with other defenders still between the Galway player and the goal. Mattie getting stripped of possession when coming out with the ball was very careless and led to a score as well. There was a real absence of a calming on field leader at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That was a foul on Ruane. And then Kelly gets a free a few seconds later for something lighter. Poor referee decisions aside Mayo's handling of injury time overall was really poor. Looked to me that Reape kicked that ball down on top of Gleeson when he seen him there. But everybody to get caught the wrong side after losing the break was criminal at this stage of the game. Mayo are like a side that are completely over-coached, nothing seems to be off the cuff anymore. The pre-planned O'Shea off for O'Connor is awful at this stage and the context of the match not taken into account

Looking ahead, we've got:

Rossies Cavan at home on 18/19th May

Cavan Rossies away on June BH

Dublin @ neutral venue (maybe the Hyde or Breffni?) on 15/16th June

That first game against the Rossies is crucial and it's always difficult playing a team you've already beaten. They'll feel like they missed a lot of chances in the previous game so I'd say it will be a close, dour game.

Edited to correct the running order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Its Cavan at home first, then away to Roscommon

That probably suits us better I think; Cavan are dogged as evidenced by their comeback against Tyrone but without Lynch, you'd expect us to win that one and set us up for a rematch in the Hyde with Roscommon coming off a (presumable) defeat to Dublin just a week earlier.

I don't give us much hope against Dublin tbh, they absolutely hammered us last year in the 2nd half of the QF so I think an improved performance is as much as we can expect based on what we've seen so far

• Advertisement

I didn't realise Ruane was fouled. I'll have to watch that back.

Taking off O'Shea would have been ok if there was a tall physical player available to replace him but there wasn't. Touhy is still too young to contest the kickouts and we badly needed someone to catch a few balls and slow Galway's momentum.

Advertisement