Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Westernview

Correct but we should be expecting starting forwards to score if they are being picked on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

No, himself and Frank Irwin the 2 of our 36 that didn't see any minutes in the league (Frank sadly with a hamstring injury on the Thursday coming into the final game against Monaghan he was due to start). Nice to see Conor get his debut after a few unused appearances in the 26 during the league.

(Ciaran Boland has gone back to the club & Diarmuid Duffy to the 20s that both saw some league time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah, I didn't think he had played alright; he must be doing well in training to get a run yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Or is it a case of McStay being a bit too nice by trying to give all the panel a run out... Great for Hunt to get his debut, I don't want to take away from that, but it's not what I want to see a manager doing on the first day out in the championship.

I questioned Towey coming on yesterday early... I think that was another bit of a goodwill gesture by McStay. A nice touch, too nice. Give him more time during the league if you really want to use him would be my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Towey came on as a blood sub for Tommy and stayed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Towey started 2 of the league games and came on as a sub in a few others. Not really the same thing, he was always going to get a run out yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

I don’t know enough about the guys on the fringes of the panel as I’m living out of the county for years, but I thought Aaron McDonnell showed well in the game he played. I was hoping to see more but maybe there are others who are showing better in training.

Yeah, Aaron looked great in the Derry game. A rough one to show well in given how many of our defenders were well off it that day.

You'd imagine he must be flying in training too, consistently keeping lads like PO'H and EO'D out of the 26 most of the year. Was surprising he didn't get another run against Monaghan, you'd have to imagine stuck in the unfortunate spot between some lads playing an awful lot of minutes (Sam, Rory and Jack) vs a few playing very few and needing to be thrown in (EO'D, PO'H, Plunkett along with getting some back into lads like Paddy and David recovering from injury).

Conor Reid looked impressive in the game against Galway too. You'd love to see what he might have managed if not for that injury against Dublin. You'd hope both might get a chance for a cameo or two between now and the end of the group stages but at the very least, even if not making 26's when everyone is fit, two exciting prospects for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Agreed in that they're not the same thing but similar in that they were both gestures imo.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I don't think McStay will be using Towey for much, if any of the remainder of the Championship. If he saw Towey as a player he would be drawing on, then he would / should have got a lot more minutes during the league. Towey wasn't given a proper run imo and we had plenty of chances to give him that run given our shortcomings in that area.

I just think both (to varying degrees) were nice gestures from McStay. And you won't get too far being too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

How was it a nice gesture?

Tommy had to go off as a blood sub, Cillian was already on since half time so who else could have came on? It had to be either Towey or Darren McHale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Where are you getting this "gestures" idea.

Its already been explained to you that Towey was a blood sub for Tommy.That wasn't a preplanned "gesture".

Some people are letting their imagination run away with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I’m not as convinced as others seem to be on Towey. He was dispossessed incredibly easily on 2 if not more occasions on Sunday - and I mean really really easily, and on the occasions that I noted were by players that started for NY so any freshness he brought didn’t stand to him. We certainly have issues in the forward line but I don’t think Towey is a solution to them. Good squad player, but he’s not the smoking gun. I get frustrated at certain voices that advocate for certain players and question the decisions of management when the evidence to back those decisions are there to be seen. But empty barrels and all that, the Richie Feeney effect is still alive and well with a number of names.

Sundays game was an outstanding occasion with as good an atmosphere as anyone will ever get to experience - I’d highly recommend anyone to go if they can, it really is a great day out and a fantastic experience even if you don’t get involved in all the other craic that goes on over the weekend. I’d hope the GAA can look beyond their noses and maybe even outside of their limited environs within the M50 for a change and retain the fixture as it’s clear to be seen what it means for the Irish Community in New York and the USA.

As for the match, the pitch is so different to every other ground that games will be played on that it’s just not something to read into. The bounce and speed of the ball is totally different particularly at this time of year (and most particularly with current weather here) makes it a different game entirely. We played poorly all the same and left some gaping holes in places we shouldn’t and our forwards other than ROD did not produce the goods, and it wouldn’t be unreasonable to have expected them to have done far better than they did. Lots of work on a number of areas before having any realistic notions of silverware this year I feels
    That is not to take away from New York who played it out to the bitter end and we’re certainly as physical if not more so than any other team we are likely to encounter - how much of that is down to the ref giving them the benefit of the doubt is open to question but that’s neither here nor there. I’d hope for their sake they get the same leeway in the tailteann cup too, as if they do they may well surprise one or two teams along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Poor auld Ritchie Feeney. He's be mentioned here in 50 years time, as the man who could have brought us Sam.

I like Towey. I had written him off as a bit of a showman, with little end product. But he has developed his game along nicely. I think he needs to be faster for him to be, as you say, the smoking gun. But he has the skill and is great to take a score when he has the room to do so. He needs a bit more strength and speed to be top class. Great passer of a ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

To be fair about New York, if you can make it there you'll make it anywhere..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

definitely needs a bit more strength at this level. Otherwise he’s got something to offer, but I wouldn’t be rushing to drop anyone to put him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Kobe's kicking out of hand and off the ground is a joy to be hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Season ticket has tickets up for sale now. Stand €30.

U20s out after being beaten 9-14 at home by Sligo. 7-3 up at ht so it sounds like we got a right roasting in the 2nd half. Disappointing after a win & draw against Galway & Roscommon in our first two games.

Sligo have improved massively at underage in recent years, would be good to see them win it

Similar issues again from what I've heard. Overpowered physically when Sligo took over.

If they county board don't see this being an issue at all levels by now they must be blind. Some bigger players are needed to mix in with the more athletic lighter ball players.

Granted a lot of the team last night were a year below age but I don't think that explains it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

Would this not be a team management problem as opposed to county board ? Not sure the treasurer has much input into what young lads are picked for an underage panel

• Advertisement

I think the role of management can be overstated, especially at underage level. If the players aren't good enough there's little a sideline can do to compensate for that.

A lot of people wanted Maurice Sheridan gone last year and already there's a lot of citicism for Gardiner after his first year in charge. I don't think any alternative management is going to lead to huge improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I saw them versus Galway, and they seemed like a very good skillful team. If a lot of them have another year at this age group, lets judge it on next years outings, and treat this as a work in progress.

I'm not doubting their skill levels but that won't be enough without an adequate physical spine through the time. Maybe the extra year will see some of them develop that side more.

A lot of vocal comments or complaints around (twitter, mayogaablog, etc) on the age/S&C side of the side but I'd assume it's even more basic and just the player profiles that were chosen/missing. All the S&C in the world won't give you that extra 3" or 6" of height. It was interesting to see two u18s, Eoin McGreal and Darragh Beirne, among our most effective ball winners & tacklers all year, with them constantly putting opposition under serious physical pressure (especially interesting to see from Darragh as a silky inside forward).

Notable we struggled with power through the middle in 3 of our 4 games, the exception being the one where we had both Eoin McGreal & John MacMonagle spineing the defence (& them both playing out of their skin). The combination of Eoin's injuries keeping him out of game 1 and 4 and John's red card having him miss game 3 seemed a little too much for us to handle with the other missing bodies (Rio Mortimer out for game 1 and didn't look fully fit when back, Lorcan Silke out for games 3 & 4, Paul Gilmore on the bench for 3 & 4 you'd imagine injury related, Morahan out for week 1, not to mention Cathal Corless out long term before the campaign started).

Really hard to know where & how it went so wrong against Sligo. The lack of size/physicality around the middle certainly played a role, again, but leaving behind 2-6 or so in the first half and the catalogue of basic handling errors & unforced errors (ignoring the many forced ones you'd have hoped we'd do much better on) that happened in the 2nd feeding into Sligo's momentum make you wonder how much of it was psychological & lack of the right prep, tactics & skills coaching related or just a really poor execution from the lads out there on the night. Possibly a little of each. When we see two lads walking off a panel, both lads that'd be pretty physical and well able to offer a lot of what we seemed to be lacking, you'd start to worry.

Glancing at next year, you'd hope and expect having Dara Hurley (assuming the horror shoulder injury clears up ok) & Ronan Clarke back from injuries would help a lot. Both well able to battle for ball. Luke Feeney back after studies, be it in midfield or a more advanced role like he's playing with Ballina, another huge addition for size and strength. Then whatever combination of Jack Keane up from the 19s development panel, Kobe MacDonald up from minor, Oliver Armstrong & James Maheady (assuming whatever happened this year can be resolved and James & Oliver do come back next year) could offer a lot more size and physicality around that middle third we seemed to be lacking.

Impressive showings from Slattery, McGreal & MacMonagle for me this year…. but overall you'd expect the lads to be massively disappointed with the performances & the results. A lot of tough questions to be asked.

I'd agree with most of that. Credit to Sligo and Leitrim for the progress they are making but to lose to Sligo 3 years in a row must be unheard of at underage.

The fact that Sligo caught up to us and overtook us in the second half may reflect a difference in size and strength and conditioning. You mentioned handling errors and poor decision making but that can be due to increasing fatigue from taking hits over the course of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

we lost to Sligo and Leitrim ffs. when has that happened a Mayo team before?

Too young? 10 of the Sligo team were involved in their team that reached the all ireland final last year - they weren't too young last year, why are we too young this year?

Mayo team announced, Hession in for McLaughlin

Mayo Senior Football Team is as Follows:

1. Colm Reape Knockmore
    2. Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis
    3. Rory Brickenden Westport
    4. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites
    5. Paddy Durcan (C) Castlebar Mitchels
    6. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen
    7. Enda Hession Garrymore
    8. Stephen Coen Hollymount Carramore
    9. Matthew Ruane Breaffy
    10. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels
    11. Fergal Boland Aghamore
    12. Jack Carney Kilmeena
    13. Aidan O’Shea Breaffy
    14. Tommy Conroy The Neale
    15. Ryan O’Donoghue Béal an Mhuirthead

SUBS:

16. Rob Hennelly Raheny

17. James Carr Ardagh

18. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers

19. Conor Hunt Aghamore

20. Conor Loftus Crossmolina Deel Rovers

21. Darren McHale Knockmore

22. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels

23. Padraig O’Hora Ballina Stephenites

24. Michael Plunkett Ballintubber

25. Kevin Quinn Ballinrobe

26. Paul Towey Charlestown Sarsfields

https://mayogaa.com/2024/04/19/mayo-senior-football-team-announced-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Is Flynn injured, or coming back? Seems an odd one to leave out

He's only back after an injury in one of the last league games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ballina1953

why are neither of the o connors listed as subs

Advertisement