Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

I have a very similar situation from my contacts in Japan who sent me items using Japan Post EMS. The item was successfully returned to the sender as it was missing the proper Taric codes aka Tariff Code on Japan Post CN22/23.Hope I could help you more with my experience but I’m positive that your package is on it’s way back to Japan.

BTW, have you all had a similar situation using addresspal ? they have UK hubs for mails originating from the UK and USA address for mails and parcels .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

When mine was returned my Japan seller kept insisting it was with customs qheb An Posts said it was in London, do can take awhile to update on Japans side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Bit mad that RTE can report about Superman coming out as bi-sexual, but not about the state of the national post service.

I reached out to a An Post advocate, just used what info I had since I've had no responses to getting a customer service number. I told Comreg they said I've to keep trying with the advocate. 

"If you are not satisfied with the outcome from the Advocate, revert back to ComReg and you can request a 43.3 form which incurs a €15.00 fee to be sent to you for a final review of your case."

Just so people know if they go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

According to the people in the office this was sent to, nothing actually arrived. What are the chances of that? I thought it was suspicious that it was supposedly delivered so early on a Saturday morning, yet now I don't know what to think or do.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Also, AnPost are sending out automated responses now. They told me the item that was supposedly delivered was sent back to the country of origin due to new regulation, yet it was an EU order and their tracking says the opposite.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

My parcel went to blackhole for 7-9 days and showed up as shipped from the UK thereafter. It was back in Japan for a total of 14days after anpost shipped them back.

Download an app called “Packages-Delivery Tracking” , you will be surprised the details it will provide with your packages. Thank me later. :)

I have few packages from USA and Japan but I have diverted them to a friend in Italy. UPS from Italy to Ireland is only 15Euros so I’d rather use this double shipping method than worrying and be anxious ,totally not worth it! Seems like Ireland is the only one implementing this Taric codes across EU? Based on my experience, Shipping from USA to France and Italy doesn’t need any taric codes aka tariff codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭deezell

Anpost tracking logged my parcel as delivered, yet nothing in my postbox but what I didn't know was it was delivered to the last sender DHL in Germany, not to me.

06 September 2021 09:45

"We delivered your post IRELAND

05 August 2021 12:36

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

05 August 2021 12:15

We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

05 August 2021 12:14

Your delivery was received by An Post"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭micks_address

Are untracked Royal Mail letter size packets getting through?

• Advertisement

I'd a bracelet go missing would probably have been around that size packet. Was made by a small shop so waiting to send via DPD when it's doing being made again. I had another one come through okay but can't say what the difference was since the lost one never got returned to sender (sent 17th of August)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Got one today from London. Posted last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

After a month of waiting several goes on the web chat, an post told me my package would be returned to sender in the UK

I got on to Amazon so for a refund.

The original package then arrived at my door two days later with no customs charges at all!!!

Interesting. My tracking looked similar, it didn't have any of the usual pre-delivery stages on the tracking like, "We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery", which is on most tracking, it went straight from sorting to delivered. What an absolute mess of a situation.

Just checked another tracking site, and it seems you're right

• 09 Oct 2021
    • 06:03
    • Undeliverable - returned to sender
    • IPZ Niederaula, IE
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 09 Oct 2021
    • 06:03
    • We delivered your post
    • IRELAND
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 09 Oct 2021
    • 00:59
    • Item handed over to Deutsche Post Return Center
    •  DEUTSCHE POST - DHL PAKET
    • 09 Oct 2021
    • 00:00
    • The item was delivered on 09.10.2021.

Why in the world is none of this on AnPost's tracking? And how in the world can they justify sending a package back that came from Germany?

It came from Oz, eu custom cleared in Germany, then forwarded to Ireland. AnPost having none of it, how dare Germany be satisfied with the data and labelling, so AnPost throw the toys out of the pram, but only as far as DHL in Niederaula. Its in a Black Hole there now. 🕳

European space agency or whoever should name the next Black Hole they discover 'AnPost'

Total disaster. I emailed that dph@revenue.ie address about this. They issued a form response and basically directed me back to An Post (who they did cc in the reply).

I now have to contact the Japanese seller and tell him to refund me whenever the package gets back to him. No point in re-sending as I doubt very much if the sticker on the package will give a specific reason for rejection so the same thing is likely to happen again. Perhaps he could re-send via Fedex but that will cost me more and despite the Irish VAT being already paid at Ebay checkout, I am sure Fedex will try to hit me for the same again + their handling fee.

From now on, it looks like my online music ordering will be restricted to EU countries and Amazon UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Unfortunately, this is what I forced myself to come to terms with a few weeks ago. An Posts incompetence has completely handicapped us.

I had mine resent by FedEx cost €116.52 including reshipment and fees from Buyee, my order was maybe €170 ish.

If they cc d customer.services @anpost.ie it's no longer in service incase you're waiting for a reply

• Advertisement

That's a fair whack for Fedex.

Revenue copied ecommchargequery@anpost.ie in the reply but I am not expecting much in the way of satisfaction.

The company I'd ordered from literally laid all the blame on AnPost for having different standards than the rest of Europe. They refunded me, and I've had to make my order elsewhere. A company I'd used for years for eliquid, only ship here by courier now, which costs nearly £20. This is having the exact knock on effect I'd expected, and we're the ones who are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

After AnPost sorting my parcel 22 times since 2nd September (which they blamed on Customs not releasing it), it arrived today out of the blue!! It has a CN22 on front, and an IOSS number, VAT was already paid by me when ordering from Ebay. But reasoning for delay according to AnPost was only a physical declaration was included with parcel and not an electronic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Are we allowed CN22's again? I thought An Post wanted CN23's on everything?

Maybe I'm mistaken? Maybe someone would clarify (preferably someone from An Post who actually knows)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lalko60

Hello everyone,

Just registered here and I have also been impacted by this issue. I will be testing a couple of things in the next couple weeks to see how I can efficiently circumvent An Post-related trouble.

I've had a parcel returned to sender in Japan in September by An Post. You may have guessed, it was due to an insufficient electronic customs declaration. An Post did not give me any details, so I can only assume the TARIC code was missing from the declaration, as Japan Post is fully aware of the customs regulations within the EU which were put into effect on July 1st and more strictly enforced in all EU states since October 1st.

Back to my item. I've asked the seller to send it again but to my brother's address in France this time. We'll see how it goes from there. This is my 1st option, redirect to France any inbound packages from Japan. If this one goes through, I will probably continue doing so and let An Post clear the mess they've generated. If it works elsewhere in the UE, then the problem lies with An Post in Ireland.

2nd Option is to work with sellers from Japan and advise them of every single requirement An Post requires. Not that easy, since An Post seems to be very finicky about the item description. Japan Post would ask you the following for an EAD:

• Name and address of the sender
    • Name and address of the recipient
    • Description of contents
    • Total weight
    • Mail item number (inquiry number)
    • Other information entered

An Post requires even more detailed information than their Japanese counterparts:

• A valid HS/TARIC Code (6 digits code, or 10 digits - An Post is a bit unclear on this.)
    • A valid description of what's being sent
    • The item's country of origin
    • The item's value
    • Details of postage, insurance and freight paid
    • The sender's name and address
    • The package or parcel's weight
    • The addressee's name and address

I will do a test run and assist the proxy service in Japan for my next packages shipment, by giving them all the information they need + the specific TARIC codes to use. Wish me luck.

I will let everyone know here of my progress.

Thanks everyone and best of luck with your parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭wassie

Welcome - and thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Hi, following on from the last post, I had a parcel returned to London due to "prohibited items"!

This turned out to be a lot of bull poop due to some half wit in An Post / Customs misinterpreting a Tariff Classification.

When the shipper received the parcel, I asked them if they could copy me with the paperwork so that I could begin the big fight

with An Post / Customs.

When I received it from my seller, it turns out my package wouldn't have come through anyway.

Like the rest of Europe, the UK has harmonised with the EU on the Tariff format and is using the 8 digit version which is what they

printed on their declaration.

Last I heard, Ireland will only accept the 10 digit version.

Just a heads up to anyone importing from the UK, let your supplier know this. It might be that simple adjustment that

would get your parcel through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭wassie

Computer says no......FFS!

CN22 are for goods under €150 and under 2Kg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, an post have claimed - via their reps - that the lack of (non-applicable) CN23 - where a CN22 was present, and correct - was the reason for some contributors packages having been returned.

Advertisement