Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

McRedmond stated on twitter that "All our contract parcels (same as courier parcels) are getting through because we know the sender. The problem is parcels over the counter in UK Post Offices.".

Well I very much doubt Liverpool FC send someone down the post office to post off individual membership packs, yet the club had to hold back membership packs to Ireland while they tried to sort something out with An Post / Irish customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

He's exposed himself this morning with this tweet, I think. I had to remind him that this problem is not only exclusive to the UK, funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

Now they are playing Return to Sender, that's too much, had to turn that off! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I ordered a small part for an Angle Grinder online from Ebay.ie but it is coming from Shenzhen in China. I couldnt find it anywhere else online. Total was €6.50, how likely is this to get delivered? I haven't ordered anything since Brexit or very much since Covid either. Will this get hit for VAT now that the ~€22 exemption was abolished in July also.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭manna452121

Yes,outside EU,plus a 3.50 charge from AN Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

Australia post now only accepting letters going to Ireland, official reason given is "lack of capacity".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

Thats likely due to the scarcity of commercial flights out of Oz as they struggle belatedly with covid. If you use a courier that has their own planes you should be able to get it delivered. If you use DHL, cheapest option, they fly it to a facility in Germany, then use normal mail to Ireland, meaning AnPost get it and return it back to Germany if it fails the lie detector or whatever TF they're subjecting parcels to. I'm about to reorder from Oz at the behest of the supplier, so no risk. If I choose surface mail it might pass as a thick envelope, the real problem would be if it was returned again, it would be by snail mail back to Oz. My last attempt was DHL as above, where my packet now resides in a warehouse in Germany. I'll use DHL option again, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭thelordgod

Thats the cheapo DHL packet service that uses the post office for the final leg. DHL express is delivered by DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just had a small parcel from the UK delivered today for my wife's birthday with CN22 sticker on it and marked as a gift (value £15) with no issues. NO HS tariff code filled in on the sticker.

Is common sense prevailing? Will you get a demand for the €4+ vat plus €3.50 fee later? Better than it sent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

@Alun That's great news. How long did it take to get to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

If that was the case then this would impact many other markets - but it seems only Korea & Taiwan. Ireland has been singled out on the Australia Post website with no mention of air freight. We are a basket-case.

Deliveries to Korea and Taiwan remain suspended until further notice due to an ongoing lack of air freight capacity. Items sent up to the suspension date (22 September) will be delivered, though delays should be expected.

Parcel deliveries to Ireland remain suspended until further notice, although letter services will continue. We’ll return any parcels sent to Ireland, wherever return details are available. All senders will be able to claim a postage refund for returned items. We appreciate your patience in waiting for your return before lodging a refund request.

No prezzies from Aus this year.

So, I order from Oz, AnPost receives it, sits on it for four weeks, then returns it to Oz ( without informing me) for some piddling label reasons. It gets back to Oz, but it's a packet, they promptly send it back to AnPost. PingPongPost, it could be a video game. FIND THE CORRECT TARIC! BEFORE YOUR PARCEL HEADS BACK. BRIBE POSTAL WORKERS! etc.. I'd play that, I'm already up to level 3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Australia Post told my supplier that they were going to use DHL parcel to get my parcel to Ireland, until I told them what was likely to happen after it left the DHL parcel centre in Germany. Not shipping to Ireland now until its resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've just found out they are returning another order of mine. That's 3 orders they've sent back now. Everyone of them goes through the same process: sorted in Dublin, then somehow a customs clearance issue pops up, even though sorting is supposed to happen after customs. None of it makes any sense.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

As mentioned earlier trying an experiment by having something ordered in Asia routed through Address Pal USA in New Jersey to Ireland. It's just been shipped from NJ and the PDF of the customs form is lo and behold a CN23 despite the parcel weighing next to nothing and having close to zero value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

An Post looking after their own.....

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭thelordgod

I've just had a low-value package in from China. No VAT paid at source and it wasn't stopped by customs. I wonder is it back to the lottery system?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

There was a couple more Tweets from McRedmond on Tuesday on the matter:

Something appears to be happening but what exactly and how the public and foreign merchants can regain confidence in the absence of clear and precise communication I don't know. We'll probably only know if we stop seeing tweets and posts about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An admission that things aren't right is a good start.

Find out what the rest of the EU are doing, and do the same. It's like we always have to be the best boy in class, i's dotted and t's crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dimaie

Yes, it is a lack of transparency and An Post unwillingness to fix it. Becoming more transparent could make the 'dark side' of their decision making process visible to the public and the question 'who is to be blamed and who has to pay for this' will inevitably arise. Letting the matter slide quietly combined with somewhat softening the criteria for the notorious electronic customs clearance could be An Post management's strategy to restore the state existed before the crisis.

But something is definitely happening behind the scene. I've just received a packet from the sender whose 2 packets were returned earlier. Nothing has changed in the Customs declaration attached to the packet - not a single bit.

I just had a parcel returned, so I'm not sure if anything has actually changed, it's possible that some people are just benefiting from the luck of the draw. Another issue that seems to be widespread at the minute, is overvaluation. I've seen many, many posts here on on Twitter about items being way overvalued. The overvaluation to me is a scummy practice of the worst kind, as it seems that their default approach is to overvalue items, which results in many people running through hoops to try to get their money back. To me it's honestly not too far away from theft, as many people will simply pay it and not go through the hassle of getting their money back.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

A common thing in every article I've seen is blind acceptance of AnPost's word, and absolutely no other side to the story. There's a wealth of businesses, hundreds of them, who are all blaming AnPost, yet there's no reflection of that in these articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,658 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Delivery companies do not have any power to change the valuation. Some people on the thread were not aware that the value for charging purposes, includes the postage paid. And if there are duties and VAT, VAT is applied to item value, postage and duties.

Customs worldwide do have this power, and it goes back a long way.

https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/publications_e/ai17_e/gatt1994_art7_gatt47.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Had one parcel delivered recently. Had a charge of 2.35 VAT and a fee of 3.50. Another from the US seems to have entered the void.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Sent a package to Ireland last month from Moldova when I was travelling - checked the status and only a couple hours ago they processed it to return to sender, I rang customer support and they said it was a mistake on their part but they can't stop the intercept the item now.

Just awful there's no way to intercept their mistake

• Advertisement

Of all the posts on this thread, very few, if any, are querying charges. You seem to do this every now and again, go off on a tangent.

You know what this thread is about, so please keep it on topic.

Advertisement