Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I got the news at the end of this but it's cut off, didn't hear anything about An Post just about Brexit and EU, next podcast is from like 9:10 and it's about trad music. Might catch it later

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/11347810/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭deezell

Was it part of Sunday Miscellany? Or at the end of John Bowman's half hour. Around 9.00, Radio was a bit low and I'm a little Mutt and Jeff, so I only half heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,348 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People explaining that you have no contract with An Post are not stating an opinion, they are stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I really don't want to draw this out,as it's not contributing anything worthy, but let me ask just one more time, at what source can I verify this 'fact'?

It is obvious. how have you formed a contract with An Post? Did you pay for the parcel to be sent? Hint: you didn't. the sender paid for the parcel to be sent. They have a contract with the sending postal organisation. Think it through and it is fairly easy to come to the conclusion that you have no contract with An Post. Please note that me saying this is not defending An Post.

• Advertisement

When your parcels are being assessed for VAT (assuming they are not returned), AnPost require the postage YOU paid to be declared on the C22/Electronic data. You can't hide behind "Oh, postage was free". But that's just my opinion, and opinions are like a##eholes, everyone has one.

So my sender owns the contract? This implies that they could take a case with SCC if the parcel is sent back, but never turns up with him?

The reason I ask is because I know two geezers just chomping at the bit to do so!

looking back at some recent orders from china that had free shipping and the vat invoice lists the shipping as free.

Is this something they are using as a reason to return packets, when delivery costs are not stated on the C22.

An electronic customs declaration MUST include the following:

• A valid HS/Tariff Code 
    • A valid item description 
    • Country of origin 
    • Item value 
    • Postage, insurance, freight paid 
    • Sender name, address details 
    • Addressee name, address 
    • Packet/parcel weight 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭AnRothar

The sender has a contract with the postal service that they use..

If they have a case then they should sue their postal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

Yes it was after Bowman and before Sunday Miscellany. A not so guilty pleasure of a returned emigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,864 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Citizens Information also advise that the contract is with the sender.

Because your contract is with the seller (and not the courier or delivery service) it is the seller’s responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you.

And the seller should be aware of international warnings that parcels can be returned without any contact being made with the addressee, if the receiving EU country deems the customs declaration deficient. If there is going to be litigation, it would be on a much higher level than the Small Claims Court. To try to prove that Redmond and the other An Post top brass have taken a decision to falsely classify incoming parcels as not customs compliant. Although I think the right people to sue are the Revenue, since they are the source of the rules.

I notice that the Royal Mail have put other EU countries, not just Ireland "On Suspension".

Edit: Not On Suspension, but e.g. Italy, Portugal subject to customs delays.

Post edited by dxhound2005 on

You really should clarify that the restrictions mentioned by the Royal Mail in relation to Ireland are totally different to those restrictions for other EU countries, so like is not being compared to like.

In relation to contracts between seller, buyer and carrier, the basic questions I would like to have answered (BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS - NOT AN "OPINION) is this:

What is the liability of An Post?

What duty of care do they have to my property?

What action is being taken by An Post to carry out their duty to deliver mail?

In these circumstances, whether or not is their fault, why can they not work WITH us to correct the impediments to the smooth flow of traffic?

Beyond this, I have no issue with An Post and would prefer to be enjoying my purchases than posting here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,864 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It has been on the thread a few times already, the message from An Post, that items must be returned to sender where Customs have identified a problem with the declaration. Also that they cannot change any detail of the senders customs declaration.

Customs clearance have identified a problem with the customs declaration accompanying your item. As such, the item must be returned to the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

If you are not happy with the (free) advice given to you on this thread you could always pay a solicitor to give you the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

My DHL re-ship is already out for delivery. Not sure what to to think about getting stuff through generally, but DHL seems to have a higher chance at least.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It is starting to get publicised. I am noticing that many ebay sellers won't post here & it's a real pain especially for motor parts.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/7717274/uk-ebay-traders-business-ireland-post/

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

TBH, all the talk of the SCC is slightly irrelevant as, even if several people went to the effort of doing that and did end up winning, that alone would likely not change An Post approach. For the world we live in today, bad publicity is (rightly or wrongly) the main thing that makes companies sit up and notice. On that basis, we need more of what Discodog linked (ie, media exposure of the problem)

• Advertisement

I've sent a link to this thread to RTE news, fwiw. Someone in the news office penned that report yesterday, so have to keep stoking the fire. My supplier is willing to repost from Oz, despite the cost, which I think DHL had to suck up. I'm certain its 6 v 10 digit taric in my case, but an post just said invalid data to the supplier. Htf are they supposed to correct a declaration with feedback like that

Bowman startsvat 9.05 so it's just missed out, checked that first.

I'll try the 1 o'clock or 6 news and see does it show there

I really don't want the moderator getting on my case for diverting from the man subject, so let's end this "sub thread" here. I'm very grateful for any advice given, but for all of my life, I was never so foolish as to take advice / fact without knowing who was giving it and how qualified they were to give it. None of the queries mentioned in the post you replied to were addressed.

You do what you need to, and if I want to spend money pursuing a line that might lead nowhere, I'll just do that and not impose my opinions on you any further.......even if I find the magic solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

It's positive to see this getting media coverage but my concern is that this gets presented as a Brexit issue or something that can be fixed by An Post and Royal Mail agreeing something. if An Post sort things out with RM but remain otherwise intransigent then issues will continue with sellers from Asia, North America etc. As the seller in the article points out that he's basically experiencing issues with Ireland only. It needs to be clearly explained why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Mr321

Ordered off ebay over the weekend from a UK company.

Paid the VAT and all. Just received a refund and email. Same again as last week with another company through their own site

Email "We’re sorry for the disruption some customers are experiencing with some IOSS enabled services to Ireland at the moment. This disruption is being caused by the implementation of new import controls which are resulting in the return of some items by the Irish Customs authorities. Royal Mail remains in discussions with our postal partners, AnPost, as well as the Irish Customs authorities with a view to help identify new processes that could improve the flow of mail items into Ireland and reduce the return of items. In parallel, we have a number of potential alternative services business customers may want to use to post to Ireland which your account manager can provide information about.

And till this problem sorted i have stopped sending there as everything i been sending there been returned back me and i dont want to send you order stuff that that might not arrive thank you. "

Tried World Report, news at start, Sunday with Miriam had news at the start, tried This Week Sunday and Newspaper Panel too, nothing about parcels.

Hopefully someone will find the clip so we can share it around.

But I think I found the Topical Issue piece spoken about a few pages back

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2021-09-28/32/#s33

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Does anyone know if a tracked item identified as being returned to the UK as non-compliant is tracked back there…. in other words, does the An Post tracking system update with info about its return to the sender or does the item just appear back on their doorstep at some point down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

If someone is sending me a small gift from the USA, and I mean trinket size, should they be completing the TARIC? How many digits do AP require lest they will return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

This is very frustrating. I have been buying records / CDs from Japan for 20 years without an issue. Until now.....

Bought two CDs from Japan via Ebay last month. VAT paid upfront as it's built into Ebay checkout now. An Post tracker shows package arriving in Portlaoise on 29 September. Less than 24 hours later - at 4:52AM on 30 September - the tracking says We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender.

Rang An Post this morning. Sympathetic employee who says it "looks like" CN23 form was inaccurate / details missing. So it's on the way back he says. Although, when I check the tracking on the Japan Post site there's nothing since 29 September so I am wondering if there is a chance it's still in Dublin and I might get it eventually? Haven't contacted the Japanese seller yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Got a small parcel from China, it had an An Post Parcel barcode on the front, no info on codes, customs etc - not sure if I got lucky or if that meant the CN23 was filled out and scanned ok.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement