Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's a shame. The only reason I used them was because it was mentioned by people on this thread that there was a higher chance of getting stuff through with them. If it doesn't arrive now, after paying well over the odds, I think I'll go mad.

Still have another EU package stuff in sorting with no update since the 15 too

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

An Post replied to my email, and despite providing my full name on their online form they still got it wrong!

Here's their response

"I am sorry to read of the issues you have experienced in regard to this item. In relation to the 42 working day delay with Customs, as an An Post staff member we cannot comment on that as we are not Customs staff, if an item is delayed it's possible that the electronic customs data provided by the sender was insufficient or invalid according to Customs regulations."

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Great idea! I'll have three claims going in on Monday!

Keep reminding the posters here every few days.

There are far too many "Ah what's the point' merchants here!

All out war is the only way on An Post, the Customs, Politicians and the "Tame Media" who are too scared to hold these fools to account!

You are not An Post's customer and I imagine your claim would fall at that hurdle.

Today I learned you can use the small claims procedure for businesses in most of the EU, but not Denmark for some reason.

Edit: though there are remedies listed here for recipients including the small claims court.

I'd be grateful if you could enlarge on the legal principle that SCC Claims would not succeed against An Post. How do you base this? The definition of "Customer" is too loose to use as a defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,316 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

An Post has no contract or obligation to the the receiver of a parcel.

If what you said was correct, An Post could open my box of chocolate bars and eat them and there's nothing I could do!

Sorry my friend but if we were in Court, that would be an opinion, not evidenced in law! Still in need of an answer to my original question!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭AnRothar

You have a contract with the seller to provide you with goods.

The seller then has a contract with the postal service to deliver said goods.

Part of this contract entered by the seller with the postal service is to provide supporting documentation where required.

You have no axe to grind with anPost.

Take it up with the seller, or chalk it up to a life lesson learned (maybe expensively).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭deezell

I thought I was sound paying extra for DHL on an Australian delivery. Tracked it all the way to DHL Niederaula in Germany, where I understand they customs check all EU inbound from outside. They relabel it with Deutschespost, forward it on. I assume they would be fully conversant with EU regs, and all the packets from my supplier make it to customers in the EU, except AnPost, who have adopted zero tolerance, one strike you're out policy. My stuff is back in limbo in Germany since 9th September, but supplier refunded in full. They mailed me yesterday to say stuff is still being returned from Ireland, but lately not all of it, and some is being delivered without VAT being levied, so they've asked if I want another shot at it. I reckon It might be a better time, AnPost must be dreading Xmas and all the flack they're in for, stuff might jut be fecked into the deliver bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,316 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what I said is correct. take them to court and waste your €25 if it makes you feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You have no contract with An Post, therefore you cannot bring them to the SCC. You wouldn’t even get past the registrar.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭head82

I'm sure this question has been asked elsewhere in this thread (it's a lonnng thread!). I'm posting a small package to Northern Ireland on Monday and wondering do I need to do anything other than slap an address label and a postage stamp on it?

The postal address has 'United Kingdom' in it and although technically there's no border/customs on the island of Ireland, is this recognized by NI Royal Mail or will I need some sort of customs declaration? Just want to avoid any risk of it being returned.

Appreciate all info!

But It's the receiver who paid the postage? AnPost are the last link in that contractual chain. They're the ones who have chosen to break this contract by returning the goods, rather than establishing manually the correct information in order process the last stage of delivery, by requesting this information from the receiver. As was custom and practice before 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

The sender pays the postage and has the contract with the originating postal company. It is the senders responsibility to ensure that the correct customs declarations are completed. Also it is the senders responsibility to ensure the package is delivered. If the sender is not interested in refunding for non-delivery then do a chargeback on your credit card.

As soon as the destination is typed into the computer at the post office you will be informed of the correct information required. There is no need to hand write a customs label any more - if one is required you will be asked a few questions and the label will be printed out for you. This process also generates the electronic declaration on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Or in other words, you are not even An Posts customer's customer.. You are quite literally An Post's customers customers customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

One of my orders was supposedly delivered at 6am today. I'm not even at the address so I don't know if it's there, but is that possible? I didn't know they delivered so early in the morning.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's an odd one as the person you've bough the service from is likely a Royal Mail customer. I'm not even sure if there's a contractual agreement between postal operators. It's all a little legacy of the 19th century.

You might be better off making a formal complaint to ComReg.

The shippers also need to kick up a fuss with the Royal Mail (as the majority of the packages seem to be UK origin).

• Advertisement

The discussion about the liability of An Post in a SCC Claim is getting a little disorganised.

Can I first say that none of us actually WANT to be here. I for one, would rather I was enjoying my purchases, if only

An Post hadn't returned them.

I can't figure what's behind this futile defence of An Post. IS one of you David McRedmond? Or why the vigorous attempt to justify

the actions of An Post. If you'd had a package returned, why take this line? If you haven't had a loss what are you even doing here!

Every argument defending An Post relies on the supposed contract between the sender and An Post..

The point made by another poster is the most accurate when he said the contract is with the receiver, having paid the postage in addition to the cost of the goods.

His argument was countered by the comment that the sender got the declaration wrong.

How can that be when An Post don't even know which are correct? If they do, why are they so reluctant to help the receivers to get it right in future?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod - posters are entitled to their opinion, even if you don’t agree with it. Don't start back seat modding .

There is no “supposed contract between the sender and An Post”. The contract is between the sender and their postal service, thats why there is no case for the SCC. Pointing out the legal position is not defending An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Why don't you get refunded by the seller?

That's what you're entitled to.

That what I did and leave the sender recoup their loss with whoever they deal with.

I am sorry if I am breaking any rules here. It is not intentional.

I'm not used to forums and don't really understand the rules and protocols. I don't even know what "back seat modding" means!

All I can say in my defence is that there are many people here making statements based on their opinion, not fact. The whole issue of the SCC is only

going to be proven by a legal expert's opinion or a test case. Until we can reach that point, NONE of us are correct. My only contribution was to question the certainty

that a case would fail. I've actually cleared two shipments off my list having had refunds, but I have two more proving difficult. I didn't even start the discussion about the SCC, merely offered my opinion just like everyone else. If I disagreed I said so or questioned something. I thought that was the function of a forum.

Please explain why I have been called out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Finally heard this on RTE news just now. More customer care staff to be hired.

That won't solve the issue, that just means more " Hi xxxxx, Sorry for the delay! can you please send me the tracking number and final location etc..." tweets per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

I think An Post is private now? I didn't mean to repost this but make the comment below. I can't seem to delete this.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

There was a news item on RTE radio 1 (9 AM) about parcels/packages going back and forward and all the chaos we've been experiencing over the last few months. Finally, proper media coverage!

Just heard it there alright. AnPost blaming the EU, like they've no hand or part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I think you tap the quote and a bin appears to remove it from your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I saw this tryinv to find an article version of what ye heard on news, I'll try the podcast of the 9am

Same picture used written October 10th

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/an-post-now-seeing-at-first-hand-the-brexit-squeeze-on-british-business-40929967.html

Advertisement