Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Dont like underground parking and dont like paying to park to use a library.

Stillorgan is surface parking and free.

I never drive to Dunlaoghaire, too stressful, nothing there that cant be got elsewhere.

Am I mistaken, or have you not mentioned that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think he has.

Must be great craic at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You're on a thread about dun laoghaire saying there's nothing there that can't be got elsewhere, I do wonder about your motivations for posting on this thread

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m sure there’ll be public parking for bikes

I don’t think Shsnkill or Dundrum has car parking.

There will be parking in the shopping centre which is a short walk across.

A very small minority of people choose to cycle as they go about their business so no point in putting in too much bicycle parking, better to keep the money for book purchasing.

Anybody find that the quality of trolling has got really poor recently?

Its a valid point, dont know why you are harping on about

I also dont want a nice new library building unless there is a budget available to buy books.

Local Government has to involve more than tweeting about cycle lanes, wouldnt you agree.

• Advertisement

I often think that it is a good idea, particularly if one can afford it, to buy the occasional book and support the author, rather than banging on about entitlement all the time.

If the library staff had budgets to match what is being spent on cycling lanes that would support authors, wouldnt you agree.

And at least the books would be borrowed and used so very beneficial to us citizens.

State support to authors is provided by tax relief and zero VAT on books. Plus libraries have adequate budgets.

Wouldn't you think, that for the price of a few G&T's you might open your wallet and buy the odd book? Think of the struggling authors and economic stimulus to the small bookshops. Remember, you can't take it with you!!

None of your business what I or anyone else does with their money.

The issue is spending money on cycling lanes that are empty most if the day.

Now we either successfully get people onto bikes, not happening so far or else we spent the money in other ways, eg providing better and cheaper public transport and better library stock.

We need proper metrics now regarding cycle lanes before we committ much more money, we need to either uninstall the temporary ones or else apply through the proper channels to keep them.

Its like the council staff parking, one rule for plebs, ie I cant put a porch on the front of my house without applying for planning permission but under a covid”emergency” portions of major roads can be converted into a cycle lane on a “temporary” basis and now these changes are permanent.

Its no wonder people are resistant to change and distrust their local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The clue is in the title of the thread "Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat." So can you kindly fúck off with the incessant moaning and trolling of these topics here!

No, the issue is libraries and the purchase of books, not traffic.

While I do get a very strong sense of entitlement from your posts and don't care about your spending habits, would you not consider giving up one or two G&T's a week, to support your small local bookshop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Second hand bookshops only, please, or your local charity shop. Buying a new book only to read it once is an unacceptable waste of resources. Printing a single book has a carbon footprint of about 7.5kg CO2.

Indeed, also provides much needed local employment and other local benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or buy the book then donate to charity shop... keep the cycle going

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yes, totally agree, was about to post this.

The library if funded properly is a great source for books.

The charity shops, numerous ones in Dunlsoghaire are heaving under the weight of books, we should all be buying less of everything.They have a better selection than the Libraries

There is so much potential in Dunlaoghaire to re purpose retail space into residential accomodation, need to get moving on this ASAP

Is the bus terminus going.

I see wheelchair and taxi access being maintained but no mention of buses.

Do we really need more bars and restaurants in Blackrock, I walked through the village on Friday and its very quiet, just a few young people drinking pints. I think people got used to buying takeout food during covid, buying nice wine and now when they go out they are shocked at the cost, add on a babysitting charge of minimum ten euros per hour, its an expensive night.

Can we maybe just leave some public spaces quiet and undeveloped, that carpark is very handy for Dart users and replacing it with an underground carpark isnt ideal.

If you want more people to use the Dart then you need buses to feed people to it so that parking area needs to be retained and more bus parking provided.We definitely dont need the parking to be lost to replace it with more expensive restaurants and if wetherspoons couldnt even profit in Blackrock that means we have enough pubs already.

Also if you move life from the village to the seafront Blackrock village will end up like Dunlaughaire town, decrepit and uninviting, no thanks.

Im going to object.

Now there's a surprise, good on ya!!

Does this edit mean that you have changed your mind? You're not going to object???😕

I am going to object, there is so little parking in Blackrock, definitely dont need to be handing over a valuable site for more restaurants and bars.

We can agree to differ and be civil.

I have no desire to use underground parking while using the Dart and lots of people transfer from the Dart to buses for onward journeys, not everyone commutes by bike.

We can agree to differ and be civil.

I only asked had you changed you mind about objecting. What's uncivil about that?

Theres a lot of rudeness on these threads, just saying we can be civil and disagree.

I will draft up my objections today.

I thought that you'd be happy with the proposal. The current setup, a grotty carpark, a hub for anti social behaviour, drug taking and stinking of urine (I'm being polite) needs to be changed to somewhere we can all enjoy. It is also dangerous at night particularly for females.

I'm surprised you are not in support of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What are you going to object to?

This is a sketch proposal from some people in Blackrock, not a County Council scheme. It has absolutely no status.

The Council don't have 40 or 50 million quid for it and I can safely say, neither do the people who drew the picture.

In fact this could be the most Irish Timesy type guff I've seen in a while.

Advertisement