Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I strongly suspect that any objections go no further than boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

This looks like an absolutely ridiculous proposal. Why would one spend massive amounts of money on a plaza (with 2 floors of underground parking!!) on a location less than 100m from a large public park. And the "beach" they're connecting to isn't there most of the time given the tide. The people who've put this together clearly have far too much time on their hands, let alone an ability to connect with the real world.

I would file this away with the plans to turn Dun Laoghaire in to Playa De Newtownsmith that were tabled ten years or so ago.

I would have to agree on the proposed plan, its a bit ludicrous, but at the same time it is an unsavory part of Blackrock that could do with some investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

my favourite of all of these was the BOATEL marina scheme put forward for Sandycove in the 1970s. That had everything. Marina, infill, car parks, 50m swimming pool. I'll try to dig out some material on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I can't understand why these guys are submitting a proposal like this while the NTA would have their own project on hand to address what to do with this important public transport link in Blackrock.

The NTA do want to retain bus services at Blackrock Dart Station as one of the new BusConnects routes will begin service from there in 12 months time.

The S6 from Blackrock Station to Tallaght is meant to begin service sometime in either September or October 2022. Once the S6 begins next year; it will replace the 17 route which goes from Blackrock Station to Rialto.

The 114 from Blackrock Station to Ticknock will be replaced by the L26 which will go from Blackrock to Kilternan in late 2024. It will go up Carysfort Avenue but will go through areas like Deansgrange & Cornelscourt.

The 46E will be scrapped with no route to replace it.

I can't see any provision for a bus station to be provided for the public here so the NTA will definitely scrap it & draw up their own plans to make it align in parallel with Dart+ expansion. It's nice to see that these local groups in Blackrock has plans drawn up for it. But if there no funding being committed to it by the state; it will be a waste of everyone's time to do it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

The proposal is class, although not very realistic.

Either way that space needs to be put to better use. Very valuable land between DART station and busy village is occupied by a crappy surface parking lot. Plaza would have been great, but any combination of low to medium-rise office/commercial/residential will be appropriate too. Parking can be retained around ground floor in 1-2 levels. Alternatively car users may use parking at Booterstown, although it's probably already busy.

Having fields on asphalt next to popular villages and public transport stations is poor use of space.

While the plan as presented will almost certainly not be progressed, it does have a value in floating the idea that the area itself needs to be developed or has development potential.

There is one other point that I forgot to mention on bus services that serve that Dart Station.

Executive Express do run a private bus route from Bath Place in Blackrock to Central Park in Leopardstown. If the management of the company or their own select group of passengers see plans like this for Blackrock Dart Station; they may not be too happy to see these proposals if it doesn't include a bus station in it to allow them to get to/from work during the normal 5 day working week.

Executive Express uses a mix of 2nd hand double deckers that were previously owned from Dublin Bus along with some commercial coaches to run the route every day during the working week.

If these new proposals don't include an adequate height provision for double decker buses; this new proposal should not be workable for the company if these plans were formally approved in the future.

I have said in previous post on the matter that if the 114 route which runs through Leopardstown & Sandyford will be scrapped in 2024. The Executive Express bus service will be there as a vital lifeline to run for the select group of passengers to get them to work in Leopardstown in the morning & for coming back to use in the Dart from Blackrock in the evening.

When I say select group of passengers that use the Executive Express route. You wouldn't be allowed to pay fares on it. The only way to get on the bus is to have a central park photo id so you can gain entry onto it.

The other passengers who are currently using the 114 to get to Sandyford up until late 2024; they will have to find other means to travel there after that date.

The Dart / Sandyford services are critical services which will need to be included in any plan for development of that space. Alternatively that service could be provided for equally well, if not better from Booterstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wouldn't park and ride fail the criteria in your final statement?

For those with an interest in libraries, it seems that Stillorgan is temporarily closing today for redevelopment and moving to the shopping centre.

https://libraries.dlrcoco.ie/using-your-library/find-your-library/stillorgan

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

I don't think large park & ride is appropriate in Blackrock, the land is too valuable, and the location is too urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think whatever happens at Blackrock, bus accessibility will have to be maintained at the station, even if its a turning area and not a terminus.

Certainly, more can be made of the site, but I don't think it should happen in isolation from the old Baths site. Either renovate them or erase them completely in my view.

Looking at the arrogance and sarcasm being reported in the news and apart from the Lexicon, what did Owen Keegan ever do for us? Is it a case of good riddance to bad rubbish? Did we dodge a bullet?

Put many, many noses out of joint in his time at DLR, as one would expect. And brought in a very unpopular paid parking regime.

However I have to hand one thing to him, he kept the County's finances in good order through the worst of times in the 2008 crash and beyond, while other local authorities flirted with insolvency.

But maybe being a good bean counter is not enough to be a City or County Manager, or rather a Chief Exec as they are now known. Maybe it takes someone to really lead and to transpose the character and the desires of the people into the growth of a City and Owen Keegan has never been that person. The sooner an elected Mayor, with executive powers over all of the 4 authorities that make up Dublin is introduced, the better.

Owen K was ever only interested in his vanity projects be they the Lexicon or the white water proposal in DCC. Glad he was promoted out of DLRC

I wouldn’t be so quick to support the idea of an elected executive mayor without a reamalgamation of the four councils.

Can you imagine a setup with an executive mayor who think that they are cock of the walk, vs 4 separate councils with 4 separate CEO’s, management structures and 4 separate sets of councilors who think they are and unwilling to cede turf or give up power. I can’t think of anything that is potentially more dysfunctional.

If you think that it is difficult to get anything done now, you ain’t seen nothing yet!

Its not that simple.

The idea is that the Greater Dublin Mayor (or whatever they call it) will have stretegic executive control over land use, planning and development, public transport policy, housing at a macro level, economic considerations etc. They will operate their own budget within their own pervue and the individual Councils will retain such budget as applies to their level of competence along with control over the softer stuff like culture, parks, leisure, municipal services, maintenance of roads and drainage and all that good stuff.

Its a sound model, replicated all over the World. The City needs a strategic direction.

Precisely, not simple at all.

A recipe for disaster, increased costs, less cooperation, more infighting, turf wars, reduced efficiency and effectiveness, less about strategy and more about parish pump, less accountability. I could go on.

Whatever about the rest of the world it would be completely dysfunctional here. Just ask the genius who set up the HSE.

Edit: or closer to home, the geniuses who thought Irish Water was a good idea.

Post edited by Mav11 on

Is Unit J in Stillorgan Shopping Centre the old unit which had the Tesco toy & electronic outlet store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Passed it yesterday, it's quite a small unit given the amount of time the library will be closed for. They've obviously been preparing for this for a while, the shelves have been increasingly bare the past few times I've been in.

Good to see something being done with the site though, those empty maisonettes were a terrible waste, particularly at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I see Dún Laoghaire is one of the top 5 cleanest places for litter country-wide in a survey carried out by An Taisce. I think it says more about how awful the rest of country must be to be honest as Dún Laoghaire is definitely no beacon of virtue in this regard. Marine Road, George's St and surrounds are usually terrible for litter.

I know that these areas are litter catch spots, but are the council not usually pretty good with the clean up?

Terrible for litter?

If 'terrible for litter' is more or less what they describe the North Inner City as, then your use of that to describe any part of Dun Laoghaire is completely off.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

That was my own term. I have no term for the North Inner City and I don't think it's relevant. I was simply pointing out that it was surprising in my view that Dun Laoghaire is one of the 5 best places in the country litter-wise. Would you have considered it to be top of the class?

I must say that I am not surprised. I have never seen litter as a problem in Dun Laoghaire well, maybe not so much late on a Saturday night. People are in generally pretty good in binning their rubbish and the council seem to be doing a good job on the clean up. Businesses are probably also doing their bit. So yes, a deserved top 5!!

Top of the class? No.

Deserving of the high finish it did get? Absolutely.

All those Mav mentions, plus the newly constituted DL Tidy Towns have done a very good job the last two years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Its upstairs in what was Farrell's School Uniforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know what the rusty metal thing is on Killiney Beach beside the old Tea Rooms?

It's on a raised concrete plinth. Is it an old boat winch?

Advertisement