Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

id start with a demoishing order on that shopping ctr.

Ahem, the shopping centre has been on its knees for decades, part of this could have been converted into a library and would have brought footfall into the area.

As to where the money came from is irrelevant, the library was a frivolous waste of money.

There is no need for the aggressive rudeness in your posts, did your mother never tell you to keep a civil tongue in your head.🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I recall reading a piece that attributed most of the funds used to build the "lexicon" to rates that had been collected by DLRCC in previous years. A lot of it from Dundrum SC I think but I am open to correction on that.

I still can't say I like the result. For a library there don't seem to be very many books and the whole thing has an air of a middle-class flight-of-fancy rather than something of real use to the community. But maybe I'm just a moany sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I think the lexicon is an absolutely magnificent facility and I really don't see what the point is all these years later of constantly moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

The library is a fantastic resource for the locality and the footfall speaks to that. It is listed in the top 10 free attractions in the whole country by number of visitors. I ignore the begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dlr Lexicon visitor numbers were approaching 2,000 average per day in 2019. It has been an indisputable success, a superb addition to the town and the wider area.

She told me respect was earned and to call out bullshyt when its evident. I try to stick by that.

There arent many books at all, its just so big and empty, I think the number of books borrowed would be more interesting data than footfall as really the purpose of a library is to encourage reading.

A pal worked there for a while, she said she felt like a cleaner, picking up discarded coffee cups, lots of children running wild while Momma drank lattees.

It was far too expensive and same issue as with the new cycle lanes snd the existing ones not upgraded. Stillorgan library is pathetic for the population it serves, do locals here not deserve meeting rooms, galleries, eateries etc.

As for spending forty million on a library and doing absolutely nothing about the re opening the swimming pool in Stillorgan, how much is going to be spent on the baths in Dunlaoghaire while the pool in Stillorgan is closed for years now, lots of elderly people used the pool in Stillorgan, the population here are older than average and they need facilities on the doorstep.

By the way does anyone know why those maisonettes opposite Stillorgan library are boarded up, why arent they renovated and used as housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

With this thread ringing in my ears, I swung by the "lexicon" this afternoon but as only the ground floor is open on Sundays and I neither wanted to borrow a Young Adult book or do some photocopying, I left disappointed🤣

• Advertisement

Actually, since I am bitching a lot, I will inject some positivity by saying my favourite of the DLRCC libraries (jesus, I have a "favourite library", party animal alert) is Deansgrange. Just the right size, not too sterile and the staff are great.

It would be uncommon for a library to be open to any extent on a Sunday TBF.

Yep, absolutely. The council were lobbied by numerous people , myself included, to extend opening to Sundays seeing as how Sunday is such a busy day for the seafront area. And fair play to them for listening.

But still. Why bother just having one floor open, and the one with the least books?

Because its unstaffed.

Understaffed. Yes. But there were numerous staff there today. And if you can have one floor open while "unstaffed" you can open the floors where the books are. Or don't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Hmmmm, a year ago. Has anything happened since?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Don’t think so. Though I would imagine that it might be better to wait until the Leisureplex development is finished. To do both at the same time would be too much heavy construction in one little corner. It would drive everybody demented! Probably unsafe as well.

What would drive everyone more demented would be doubling the amount of continuous disruption by delaying the Council scheme.

My understanding is that the private development on the bowling alley will overlap the development of the new library and Council apartments to the rear and that construction traffic will access through the site, not through St Laurence's Park itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

There are smaller libraries nearby in Blackrock, Deansgrange and Dalkey. Why don't you just go to one of those and stop complaining.

Seriously Taxiperson your sustained negativity is almost impressive. Do you have anything good to say about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Measuring a library by books borrowed is a very narrow view. It's no wonder you don't like Lexicon if that's your only expectation of it. Libraries are about more than just borrowing books. They are places to study, to work collectively, to relax and read, they are community centres for art exhibitions and other public events. They are places to browse the available books, open the mind the new topics and learn new things. They are also places for people to get access to computers and the internet when they might not be able to do at home.

None of those activities might result in any books being borrowed but they are all good things for the community.

• Advertisement

The main way to measure the usefulness of a library is the actual bookstock available.

If one has to join a queue of people and wait months to get new books then building this monumental structure isnt an improvement on the old library, the genuine book lover doest care about magohony winding staircases or cafes etc, they want timely access to good books and this library in my opinion has too few books.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,408 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That type of library is gone the way of they dodo, far more activities take place there than just borrowing books.

I'm sure you are completely correct taxiperson, and the half a million visitors to DLR library every year are just plain wrong. What use is the place at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The statue to Roger Casement has gone up, let the complaining begin...

The new statue of Roger Casement, being installed on the plinth of the new breakwater by the Baths redevelopment today.

It's a good statue and in about ten years time people might actually get a chance to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

^^^ Hung for the 2nd time.

I'm not being funny but what in the name of god could people find to complain about re Casement? Even republican-haters can't deny he was a good man, brave and a great humanitarian.

Do you mean the rumours about his sexuality and the Black Diaries? I would have thought that would almost work in his favour nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Visitors having a gawk, using the loos ... or actual users of library / facility services?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You are absolutely correct. Anytime I'm down there, the vast majority of people are actually just queuing for the toilets.

Advertisement