Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

I used to read the soccer forum now that it is a private group I can't read it. Is there anyway to join it now to continue reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Quoted comments are continuing to be folded on mobile, even with do not fold setting selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@banie01 kindly explained how to get dark mode for Chrome on Android to me. Hopefully this will save some more eyes!

On Chrome, enter chrome://flags/ in your address bar.

Then go to "force dark mode for web content".

Depending on your Android version, you can also enable dark mode via app settings for individual apps.

It makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

I feel like a geriatric technophobe on this site. I'm genuinely lost with this new update 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Using touch site on iOS chrome. Press my icon to show the menu with star for followed threads, and press star for nothing to happen. Fix is press on boards name at the top, which refreshes page and then try again. Happens at least 4 out of 5 times like this. Makes quickly going through my followed threads a pain in the ass.

edit: all those pull downs, messages etc are non-functional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

@Boards.ie: Odhran

Thankfully one of our community managers skilled up in CSS and is flying through fixes. 

I think that's one of the most depressing things I've heard, since a teacher glowingly reported that my four-year-old daughter new all her primary colours. :/

CSS is a fundamental part of any page design, so what in the name of every saint and deity did boards buy from Vanilla, that needs a Community Manager to fly through so many fixes? This kind of thing is just about always configurable through the admin's control panel and rarely needs anyone to upskill in the nuts and bolts of CSS.

But worse: it's seriously demoralising to hear that those in charge actually think that CSS tweaks are going to resolve the fundamental problems of missing features and illogical page/menu design. We've learnt this week that Boards employs only one developer. I'm beginning to doubt his or her qualifications, not least because of this comment on the new "how to page" (not going to link, can't be bothered with the faffing around) ...

@Boards.ie: Niamh

You can do all of these from your user profile: https://boards.ie/profile/edit but not all of them are visible on desltop just now so here are some quick links

Change password https://boards.ie/profile/password

Change profile pic https://boards.ie/profile/picture

Notification preferences https://boards.ie/profile/preferences

Signature https://boards.ie/profile/signature

Ignore list https://boards.ie/profile/ignore

Can you? Well then why the fùck hasn't someone put those links into the profile page? 😡 It wouldn't have taken any longer to do that once, for everyone, than it did to type them into that How To post. They don't need to be magnificently formatted or turned into pretty little icons, just plonk the links into what passes for the User Control Panel these days and let us use them as they are.

Out of frustration, I went over to Vanilla to see what sort of product they offer the world at large. Not immediately reassuring: Vanilla has reinvented forums and offers a modern user experience that your customers have come to expect. So (a) they've reinvented something that didn't need to be reinvented (that explains the use of non-standard vocabulary); and (b) they're obviously marketing an add-on service for commercial customers, not providing a platform for the kind of wide-ranging, random discussion that has been boards.ie's hallmark for decades. The list of features included in this reinvention includes such revolutionary ideas as

• allows users to post questions and polls,
    • Members can format posts with html, markdown, or bbcode
    • Users can have private one-on-one discussions,
    • Every member gets a profile that they can customize with their personal information

So ... pretty much everything we've had since vBulletin 1.0? Hardly a reinvention.

Given that none of the things that I consider a priority (complete date-and-time info, in 24-hour format; editable quotes; full, single-click text editing with support for BBCode) are even on the published list of things to be sorted out; and given that there have been no recent meaningful posts to any of the threads I've been following for years, I'm going to opt out for a while ... with no great expectations of seeing any great improvements when I return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Twitter posts showing link only. Wreaked the Garda Twitter posts thread as you can’t see the page displays without going via link.

Cool. If you install a separate Chromium-based browser like Brave, you can have have one dedicated to dark mode and leave main Chrome normal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

You need to select the insert media option for tweets to show embedded, which is the third option on the quick reply box at the bottom, the box should like the below.

It will then show embedded like below.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sorry I just deleted the content of the post. I'm on a desktop and there is not delete option on that either.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

You can change the level at which quotes roll back in your profile settings too

you can do what?

Can you give a step by step on how to do that, maybe with screenshots, as i think you are being presented with options that are not being presented to me at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I was about to post the same issue. IOS, the pulldown seems to load behind the main white area with the lists of threads.

The refresh trick works but sometimes heading to settings and clearing cache and data seems to be the only way to force it to work correctly. Definitely a pita, hopefully can be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It's a bad sign when the userbase has been coming up with solutions to the sites issues.

It's also a bad sign when Reddit becomes a more preferable site to waste time than Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Message's save as draft automatically, but you can't delete a draft. If a message saves and you leave the page the message will be there in the reply box indefinitely. You can do two things choose to write a new message overwriting a previous draft or have a message sit there until you post a comment / reply. Deleting what is in the reply box and saving a new draft as a blank message doesn't work. Every time you revisit the same draft will be there until you reply. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why Is soccer hidden away out of sight. Since it no longer shows on the first page you have to go and search it out everytime. Also a bit ironic that the mods/ boards staff on the soccer “group” are called leaders

boards definition to upgrade must be vastly different than everyone else’s.

raise to a higher standard, in particular improve by adding or replacing components.

the experience on mobile really has taken about 20 steps backwards. It’s like boards forgot that the majority of people browse the site on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've seen lots of comments and queries related to dark mode.

For those struggling with what I hear is far too much white and bright on Android/chrome.

Try the following.

Open Chrome, enter chrome://flags/ in your address bar.

Then go to "force dark mode for web content".

Depending on your Android version, you can also enable dark mode via app settings for individual apps.

Hope that helps 👍

so...... dfhgrt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

you can delete drafts here https://boards.ie/drafts, just click the X on the top right

should be in the reply box. but good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Thanks for that, but kinda the point is before i could just click the link and new window would open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This new site is truly awful

I don't understand why it couldn't have been set up very similarly to the old one. It's not easy to navigate around it, no way to find your followed threads properly or even trending and latest posts.

I don't see myself hanging around if things don't improve and I'd imagine there is a lot of people thinking the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

One shouldn't have to explicitly embed it though. No other website requires an explicit embed declaration. It should auto-embed when the Twitter link is detected.

Just testing out the Flag function 😉

Just wondering allowed here (bad pun intended not a spelling mistake).

If someone flags one of your posts do you see that they have been flagged like other logged in users do?

Feel free to flag this as a test if you like apologies to anyone responding to the flag.

Is it not a bit dangerous having the number of flags displayed? Especially if they're not exactly analogous to Reddit downvotes.

The flags are for spam, abuse and report. So really just to raise attention for moderators. Guess the more a post gets flagged the quicker it will get a mod taking a look at it? But then could be wrong I have been plenty of times before.

Report is the best option to use at the moment, I believe.

Yea but one would think the count would be hidden for non-mods to avoid witch-hunting and dogpiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

But there isn't a report button anymore?? Not on mine anyway.

• Advertisement

If you click flag you should get a report option.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement