Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's a big one, I'd also like to be able to see who's thanked posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why do we have to click to expand to view the full quoted comment? I have do not fold set.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This has probably been mentioned already but boards.ie/categories is broken on the desktop version (using Chrome on Win 10), has been that way for me since the change over:

Seems ok on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Where to start. Everything is ugly and nothing works. Sorry to be so negative but I'll try and also be constructive. (in that vein, for those missing dark mode, try the high contrast chrome extension)

Biggest issue as a mainly desktop user is the layout. Posts now take up ~800 horizontal pixels for me instead of 2160. So much damn wasted space. It was a genuine redeeming feature of vbulletin.

Quoting posts is more difficult and the nesting situation is unintuitive.

Menu bar for navigation is gone. We're expected to search by category.

Search no longer works for forums. Only finds threads.

Where are settings / User CP and all those customisable options? Gone?

There is no option to cancel a new post. Only on edit (a feature which itself I had to find, because it's not in an intuitive place either).

--

Boards was one of the few forums that remained in the old BB style that wasn't broken and shouldn't have been fixed.

Happy to be corrected but I've yet to see a post to the contrary: it seems like literally no one asked for this or wanted it.

As near as makes no difference to all the feedback in this thread so far is in some way shape or form negative.

The update, frankly, amounts to a disgraceful and disrespectful lack of basic understanding of the users needs.

Reading that there is one developer doesn't surprise me. It shows. The poor guy or girl must be stressed out to say the least.

I don't like to ever complain without offering a solution, so here it is. Roll it back to preserve your user base.

Given that a lot of the new limitations are probably down to the platform, they may not be able to be resolved, so this is the best solution I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I have to agree with the “roll it back” comments. There are ZERO advantages to the new format, only a countless list of negatives.

1. Way too much white space.
    2. Having to “agree” to leave Boards to visit an external link is just utter nonsense.
    3. The search function is just stupid.

These are my main 3 drawbacks, I could go on but others have already listed MANY flaws and errors. I’ve been here for 20 years but I’m off if the new version stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Agree with above 2 posters. Say roll it back as can't see this platform getting to a place that was a user friendly and Intuitive as it's predecessor

Search has always been brutal but the new search works a lot better than the old one.

This new format is just waaayyy too much work to navigate.

I don't understand why they took so many things that worked really well, and just removed them. If it wasn't broken, why fix it?

I'm outta here for now. May pop back in a week or so to see have things improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Remember Niamh's announcement on 01st June?

"We’re delighted to announce that one of those changes, namely moving to a new platform, is going to happen very soon. We have been working on this in the background for a number of months now and are almost ready to go live..."

"What is going to change? From a user experience point of view, very little will change initially..."

"We’re really looking forward to a new Boards.ie experience, the site was due some tlc and modernising and we hope you will enjoy it to..."

A lot of the above has not delivered.I was actually quite looking forward to the new site. However, a lot of well thought out plans fail when put into motion, I fear that what was envisioned by HQ has not materialised. Although, if it has indeed materialised, that's actually worse.

Some people are happy so far, some are willing to deal with the issues with hope they can be fixed. It's very apparent that a sizeable amount of users are dissatisfied with the Boards HQ vision, myself included.

We are not privy to Boards strategic vision or motivations for the change. Was it purely technical? Was an upgrade required for future commercial / revenue viability? Was this the brainchild of an ambitious techy? We don't need to know.

What a lot of people want to know, is why? Hundreds of users still here have spent over a decade contributing to this site. It is quite possible that this technical "upgrade" will be the "downgrade" of it's human assets.

The users make the site, the users aren't happy, the users may not bother their hole anymore. Of course its not a universal truth as a lot of people are happy. But enough to warrant a genuine response to the current clusterfcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It needs a time and date for last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

On desktop, don't know how it would work on a phone, if you hover over the like icon with you mouse it shows who's thanked the post.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Wow, you guys didn't learn anything from the responsive site mess. The site is near impossible to use. Talk about disappointing... roll it back is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

1. Google+ crawled out of the grave and demanded the return of all of its whitespace.
    2. Seriously, there's waaaaaaay too much. Even in work, where I've a 17" monitor, there's a huge amount of wasted space.
    3. Why no one-click way to open a list of "my" threads, so I can see which have updates? I have to click on boards.ie, click on "My threads", look at the top few and "manually" judge if any have been updated since my last visit - it doesn't appear to show new posts/unread posts.
    4. Notifications - do they exist any more? I used to automatically (from habit) unsub from any thread I contributed to, then immediately sign up for... hmm, can't actually remember how it was phrased any more, but it was the last option and meant I didn't get any emails or messages if someone updated a thread. I really don't want any such mails, but what's the default now?
    5. What is the difference between "Bookmarks" and "My discussions"?
    6. Uploading pictures seems as completely unintuitive as ever - I click on the image icon on the bottom of my post, select the pic from my drive, and - nothing happens? (ah - it works, just not in a list).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I dip in and out of Boards a good bit throughout the day but only frequent/post in 6 or 7 forums.

Since the change I struggle to find anything and when I do it's usually stumbled upon by accident.

It's hard to know where to begin with what's wrong but all the previous posters have mentioned the issues.

It's really terrible folks I'm sorry to say!😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Am I imagining it or are the user stats a fraud? I don't think they have changed since the first day the site was back online? Thought then that the numbers seemed high?

Took the screenshot not long before Saturday midnight and wondering if the stats will read just the same on Sunday morning?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I now have an accidental blank post flagged twice, once as spam and once as abuse. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Still lots of ads appearing for subscribers - hopefully sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s not really what you didn’t say or how you didn’t say it, L. It’s the intent.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I just can’t even be arsed to catch up with threads that I was once involved in. The interest is just not there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Had a rant on the touch thread (would link it but you know) as couldn't find this thread then remembered it was linked on the twitter post

That they spent months on this to roll out a site on par with what a beginner web developer would produce is ridiculous - as a web developer I would be ashamed to send this to a client for evaluation. Funny thing is the Advertise link (along with the rest) doesn't work so no new business for them. Even the thread titles within threads - c'mon. Why have a menu icon to edit the post with just one option??? I mean seriously - this stuff is basic no no's

Everything just screams amateur hour

Add my +1 to the rollback - this iteration is not suitable for deployment. There are far too many fixes needed (one sec, need to put my sunglasses on)

But seems the higher ups are so obstinate as to not even entertain the idea they fecked up and admit defeat

Sad state of affairs for such a long running website that I enjoyed using

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Their argument was that as a small team they couldn't work in two sites at the same time. So they should have paused whatever development they were doing in the old site and concentrated on getting the basics right with with the new one.

I don't actually get the two sure authentic anyway as they could have focused on syncing the data using the new site as a beta for a subset of users.

The wring approach was chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭con747

Still showing, CURRENTLY ACTIVE USERS: 4,239 (1,479 REGISTERED, 2,760 GUESTS) @ 1.17am

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭thesandeman

This thread really needs to be split in two, one for computers and one for mobile users.

I'm here 12ish years and have never looked at Boards on a computer/laptop/whatever because I can't use the things.

However, I am very competent on Android and I've shown quite a few people who used 'dumbphones' how to upgrade so they can do their banking etc.

When reading through this thread on my phone (after taking a break every few minutes due to my eyes watering) some of the advice and pics posted make absolutely no sense and only confuse me as I've no idea what they relate to.

If you do a separate thread for phone/tablet users it might make things easier for everybody and avoid confusion.

Thanks.

Wait, tell me that there's more than one dev doing DB and UI. A live migration project on a site this size with one dev?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The top bar is borked on iOS safari.

Hitting the boards logo to refresh fixes it rarely but 90% of the time it doesn’t and the only fox is to clear history and cache from safari in settings.

Means finding threads you follow or post history, notifications etc is a chore and having to sign out of every site to sign back into boards to check is a pita.

Hopefully there’s a fix.

Also can we not have notifications based on user?

I don't need to know each user to have posted on a popular thread, just a notification that a thread has new posts...

Or have I to click more seemingly random notification settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Atleast on the old search if you searched a forum. It would be the first option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree. Hopefully they can look into grouping those sorts of notifications. In meantime, you can tweak your notification settings here https://boards.ie/profile/preferences/

You are probably best disabling "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" and just periodically checking your discussions page which lists all threads you have started https://boards.ie/discussions/mine. It will show "x new" next to any threads with new posts.

• Advertisement

$ = jQuery;
    $('#Form_Comment').submit(function(){
        if (!$('.Bookmark').eq(0).hasClass('Bookmarked')) {
            $('.Bookmark').eq(0).click();
        }
    });

Can you please add this so posting auto-bookmarks a thread? It works on desktop anyway.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement