Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Cookie that's not really fair. They are not exactly tripping over themselves. Surely what we all want is for the issues to be addressed. Niamh already said that she was trying to get a user guide together. I'd sooner she worked on that than come on here to stroke users.

"Utter contempt" a tad too hyperbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭motley

Will you be supporting the mobile app with the new site? It's the only way I generally access Boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Doubt it, they never did in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why the hell should we need a user guide for a bulletin board? it should be simple to use, not a complete clusterfuck.

there is still no acknowledgement that the process has been a disaster, no sorry for the prolonged outage, no admission there was little or no testing, and on and on and on.

Niamh is a 'community manager', interacting with users should be a primary part of this, not hiding away.

It's not like this is a first either, the last major change was a mess that took a long time to sort out. Lessons should have been learned, feedback should have been listened to but they clearly weren't and this mess is even bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

why Is there no “my threads” “my forums” options anymore? Instead they replace it with activities. I couldn’t care less who changes their fcuking profile picture. What a useless option.

can somebody from the boards team pm me with details on how to find my followed threads on my phone. Please don’t post it here as it takes a ages to navigate the mess to get back here.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

@Boards.ie: Odhran

I don't even know where to start with this TBH... but I'll give it a go anyway!

If, as Niamh said previously, you ARE reading posts then it's clear to me that you're only actually LISTENING to the ones that suit you and steamrolling ahead in your own bubble regardless of what anyone posts here.

All you've posted above is a list of stuff that...

1) Ignores pretty much every significant issue that the users have been calling out as priorities FOR THEM for the last 3 days

2) Gives no indication of a properly planned and prioritised list of action items - the above seems very random

3) Shows how broken the site actually is, and how it was nowhere NEAR ready for relaunch. Again, no explanation why/how this happened

4) Suggests that Vanilla have washed their hands of this and it's now on your single dev and a volunteer to sort out? To me this suggests months of work ahead, given the current state of things

5) Does NOTHING to address the huge number of frustrated posts from users who are struggling to understand why all this is supposedly a good thing?

6) Offers no apology for or recognition of the current mess, - ye are just ploughing on regardless and again expecting your customers to "suck it up" in the meantime

I could go on (and reference my post back on page 15 - because there's no way to easily link a post anymore of course!), but the more I type here, the more genuinely disgusted I am to be very honest!

I've been here 20 years and what you have done to this site (not just this week, but over the last few years) with the approach to community engagement that's come in is something that, in my view, has been the primary driver behind the decline of the site. Forget "outdated" platforms, or a notion that users want new "features" they saw on Facebook or Reddit - it's this ATTITUDE from the staff and moderation team that has pushed people away.

If this is the approach you and the team are planning to take (or more accurately - continue with), you won't need to worry about most of these issues for long I'd imagine, as your userbase will go elsewhere. From my own perspective, actual posting seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY down since Wednesday and I imagine this trend will continue and accelerate.

And yes, I'm just ONE poster - and who cares about one poster right? - but I am also genuinely sad to see you and your team throw away 20 years of community goodwill and contributions to something that you CLEARLY don't understand, or WHY it is that people still come and post here despite all the other alternatives available to them nowadays..... and for what? So you can convince us to start buying stuff like subs, cosmetic items, or whatever else other ideas that you think are important going forward?

I'm VERY close to just being done at this stage, and I highly doubt I'm the only one!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

At the moment the mobile experience feels like the Responsive site, only somehow they've made it worse, which is truly an epic achievement considering how bad that was.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s quite obvious that there are a few “issues” that need sorting out but it’s great to see the Boards.or team acknowledging this and hopefully these bugs etc will be fixed over the coming weeks.

In the meantime, these early “teething” problems may be a blessing in disguise if more, and more, of the malcontent type users leave the site in a huff over how they think things should be done.

That’s probably just “wishful thinking” on my part though, these lads enjoy nothing more than a good whinge. Must be exhausting.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sycophantic, petty, childish, and personally abusive all in one - as well as COMPLETELY missing the point!

That's some achievement for 9:30 on a Saturday morning!

Enjoy your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not here quiet as long as yourself but I feel 100% of what you've said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Clearly we have different outlooks. We are here now. I'm not interested in what "they" could have or should have done. I just want the issues fixed.

"Why do we need a user guide?" - there clearly are wrinkles and shortcuts the way this thing works. Necro outlined a couple about 10 posts up. I would find such a guide useful.

The Do you like the new boards thread is way down in my bookmarks and it says the last post was on the 15th, but when you click in, there are posts today.

I wonder how many other things I'm missing.

16 years here myself. And I can't believe we complained about the responsive site a few years back. It worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Apologies if you felt that was directed at you. It was more of a general “observation” about male and stale user base who hate change.

The type who long for Oasis to reform or got all excited about the Stone Roses “reunion” gigs.

All that aside, there was no need to shout.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Still no sign of the help desk? Either not all of the mods are back online or they don't particularly care in certain forums (yes I know the weather and holiday time plays a role here).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

And please give us back the delete post option or re-enable the time limit between posts, or don't allow blank posts. This keeps happening!

I mean why on Earth does After Hours not have a pager on mobile or desktop? There is only one page of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

More nit picking!

TOO MANY SMILEYS - small change may help?

I've just about stopped using them because I can't be bothered to go looking through a bloody great list to find one suitable each time.

To remedy that can we eventually (I realise its nothing vital) have a either a reordering of the list so there are say the 8 most used smileys in the first row of the list or a fancy system like used by Gmail where you only see a subset of Smileys you have already used unless you go searching for new ones.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Currently two posts in CA?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Be honest. We're Vanilla the cheapest option.

Seems like it. No out of hours support. Very poor implementation.

And as for you and your complete penny pinching with one Dev and one volunteer. A community manager who doesn't respond to the community anymore.

As much as i hated boards under the previous owners and ancient platform. At least it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Can the usernames be bolded please because they are so small to see in each thread?

Thanks.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Any update on the subscriber ads? I use the mobile site and I've advertising banners popping up all over the place. I'm failing to see any of the benefits of being a subscriber at the minute, as there is literally no additional benefits or support. The subscriber fee as a "supporting boards.ie" seems invalid if I can't actually use the site properly at all.

Aso, can anyone tell me where I can view all my posts? That was the main I used to go back into the random threads I'd post on and now I can see let alone remember what and where I've posted.

On mobile, click your avatar, then the little icon for a person, View Profile, and scroll down and click Comments. The page will reload and you have to scroll down to see all your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's bound to have been said a lot, but the quote function is diabolical. And the inability to split a quoted post to answer or query specific sections of a post or delete irrelevant parts, as would be normal in Politics, is gonna make things so much harder and completely remove traffic of regulars.

This isn't a big case of "users dislike change", these are standards in message boards that we have come to expect over the decades.

Now the place is like a badly formatted Tapatalk site.

Genuinely fear for its future.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,497 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What's the story with the soccer forum some posters are saying it is fully there and others like myself are only seem an empty page with some members listed there?

I am told I am a member of the soccer group any idea what's going on?

Looking a lot better now, the slowness seems to be gone (on a PC) and starting to look more like the old site, so easier to get around.

Still a lot of visual issues though with the blank space and the like.

.Frame-row,
    section {
    	display: block !important;
    }
    .Content.MainContent {
    	width: 100% !important;
    }

That's how to make it full width. You can add it with the Stylus extension.

I wouldn't be surprised if it helped the guy working for boards.ie because the top part isn't obvious at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm not here long but when I joined I could navigate the site easily and always find what I wanted with no problems. Now it's near impossible to find anything . Even getting to this post took me ages. I doubt I'll bother too much with it in future. A real shame.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,353 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They should have a look at the most recent phpBB for what a good comfortable UI should look like.

Alternating posts are differentiated by slightly lighter or darker shades... Therefore you don't get the "run through" effect that the current set up leads to. The whole touch site simply needs a complete colour rendering and design. It's ghostly white right now

The posters name is highlighted. Here is almost greyed out and is lost. The fact that the time of the post is larger and more eye catching than the posters names is silly.

Do we really need a facebook and twitter icon after every single post?? Wtf

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The latest post button needs to come back.

Changes to the old site were definitely needed and in some ways this site looks better but there's a ways to go. Centring the whole page would be a big improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think the management have totally failed to grasp why people were here in the past.

The UI worked here for us because of its old design. The design fitted the user base. Change the design and then the user base will just move on.

Add to that I'm here don't know about others because this in not Facebook or Twitter and I'm not looking for an Irish oriented version of either.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement