Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its just so much work and so slow now, you get sick of it and go to Reddit after 5-6 threads instead of the 20 you might have flicked through before the "upgrade". Roll it back while ye still have a business model and a userbase lads, this is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Whilst I'm sure a lot of work was done prior to migrating the data, some very obvious bugs remained when the site eventually went live such as the ability to submit completely empty posts (now fixed).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No help desk AND no lists of mods/cmods on a forum. What happened to accountability?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If I could suggest one simple improvement, it would be to un-bold thread titles without "New" posts and get rid of the "New" badge.

The way I use boards is mostly to visit a forum and "catch up" on what I've missed. I understand that the "New" badge is semantically equivalent to the old bolding-the-title approach, but it doesn't work because the badges are not vertically aligned with each other.

As for the mobile view, I don't know what's wrong with it exactly but I'm typing this on a laptop because the mobile version makes my brain hurt.

There are definitely improvements though. Adding images that I have on my phone is much, much easier on mobile, this always felt like some kind of Alzheimer's prevention programme, so complex it was. The WYSIWYG editor, with @ functionality is also decent, although it'd be great to be able to blockquote a post with a button rather than having to choose between embed-quoting a read-only version or copy/pasting to a blockquote. That way I could easily edit a quote down to the point I'm responding to.

As for the minor UX bugs, lack of dark themes and general slowness, they'll all be sorted in due course I expect.

Do pictures have any traces of origin or exif data attached now that they’re uploaded directly to the site? Obviously they shouldn’t, but I’d be wary as the levels of competence haven’t been off the charts thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

This migration has not gone well from my perspective. In recent years I only really use the mobile version and the new version is shocking. I just logged on the PC this morning to see what the desktop site is like and it's not great at all either in comparison to the platform we just left.

Is the desktop version available to load on mobile? Is there plans and a timeframe to fix the glitches and speed on the desktop version? I can't find the moderator forum either if it's still available?

$ = jQuery;
    $('.spritethreadbit-threadread').each(function(){
        $(this).parent().parent().find('.unread').removeClass('unread');
    });

That's one easy way to unbold read threads.

For some reason, the system is attaching the class unread to every title but not to the envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

@The Continental Op Yeah User counter frozen, still exact same @9:12 today as it was on 15th Jul from one of screenshots i had.

Also, have you noticed your post count? First it is mismatch number on my post vs counter under my profile, second, under profile, after single post counter goes up by 2

random, some times by two

Makes a big difference in usability.

Where do you put that to use it, or is that for the owners of the site to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Still showing the same nonsense on Sunday 18th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Anyone gets this on attempt to edit or its just me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yep over nine hours later the stats are just the same. Why bother? If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say a nice high number has been stuck up their to make it look like the site has loads of visitors when the truth was far short of that.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Fix the clock please

Seven Worlds will Collide

At least with this big change one can really understand and admire how good the old version used to work!!

😂

For the owners.

Both code snippets are just me showing that some really quick fixes can be made on the front-end while the back-end fixes are being worked on. It's really common for developers to focus on what is outputting the code instead of stepping back and using what is on the page already when in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Every link at the bottom of the page is still broken and goes to 404

Are these not basic legal requirements in most cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Site on mobile web absolutely ruined

Haven’t been using at all and would’ve previously been a user who was on almost every hour

Have not seen Browser version yet but just have no interest in the site when it’s like this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Heard a funny one actually a couple of days ago that Vanilla don’t work weekends, hence the extra delay rather than the excuse of ‘so much stuff to bring over to the new site’ being what Boards used as the excuse.

I’m going to hazard a guess that they’ll ignore you anyway as it wouldn’t be a show of strength to the users of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

Alot of posters only use the mobile version.

It is almost impossible to now use it. Forums not easily found,menu optionsnot available,limited nagativation at the top of screen.

If it doesn't improve, I suspect the site will lose loads of posters as the level of effort required to find the basics is too much.

I've supplied a number of fixes over the years and they've never used any ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've given the desktop site a chance and posted a few times to get used to it and to establish if the problem is me being resistant to change or the site itself. It is absolutely the latter. Appearance and functionality are both horrible. Major changes or a return to the old site are needed within days or the site is finished, Posters will leave and they won't be replaced by fresh/young blood as those individuals don't use web forums. Also, the downtime of a week will have already done damage.

On the old site on both desktop and mobile.

Find all my posts - click on Avatar - click on Find all my posts in immediate drop down menu - comprehensive list appears - click on post to go there.

On new site, on desktop, forget it, find all my posts has gone into the void. You are on your own, suckers.

On mobile, click on avatar (after scrolling all the way up to the bloody thing)- click on drop down icon that represents account - click on View Profile - (Wait til it loads!) - Scroll down past all other things to Comments at the bottom - click on comments - (Wait til they load!) - Scroll down some more - see comment but have to click on timestamp to get there rather than comment itself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Pretty much unusable now.

I'm sure after I post this I'll never receive any update notifications, or be able to find this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don’t have that option on the touch site. When I click on my avatar it only gives me the option to edit my profile. There is no my comments section there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

This is how I know that a thread I'm following has updates (as a Desktop user):

First, I used https://boards.ie/profile/preferences and enabled Popup notifications for when people comment on my discussions, and on my bookmarked discussions.

Then I get popups when a thread updates, or, I can check my notifications (the bell symbol).

Working pretty well so far.

On Phone, when you click on avatar on the main page a drop down menu with 4 symbols should appear. - bell, envelope, star and person symbol. Click on person symbol. It should open View Profile, edit profile, log out options. Click on View Profile. Scroll all the way down and there should be a list - in smaller font which is odd - that includes ''Comments''.

You are not done yet. Find comment. It can be got to by clicking timestamp. I know! It's exhausting 😛

Finding threads again is an art form. We will be qualified for Mossad in a few weeks. If one chooses to click the almost invisible and completely non-intuitive bookmark thing plus go about setting preferences in the railway lines symbol thing to allow pop-up/email in Notifications on bookmarked threads, then one will be bombarded with pop ups which cover the space one is writing in, or have 57 new notifications on the bell symbol when you open boards after mowing the lawn. And then you will have to open notifications in a two click process on mobile to try and find earliest notifications or you can give up and choose to click last one and read the thread backwards! 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Points mean prizes - no they don't. They don't work and I think its possible that negative "Flags" add up on your profile as well.

Checkout this spammers profile https://boards.ie/profile/themoronreturns001 I can only attribute the negative Points currently -14 to the flagged posts counting up as negatives. Really don't think thats the way whats left of the community wants things to work?

Edit> Add screenshot

I see now that Flagging a posts counts as a (negative) Reaction.

There maybe nothing wrong with that system other than the information being exposed to all users and not just mods and admins.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement