Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Yeah, haven't tried it on my phone yet. But no such view on my laptop at all. Edit profile just leads to a view that lets me change my password and nothing else.

Edit: Ok so let's hope editing works, looks weird anyway... Apparently you can get to editing your profile from the links in this thread but that's the only route currently:

https://boards.ie/discussion/2058199126/how-can-i-a-users-guide-to-the-new-site#latest

Hmm, I can see in the post I just quoted here that the time is clickable, however if I go to your actual post, the time is not clickable

Edit, I see in your other post you are referring to the quoted time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Right clicking the time only works for me in the time on the quoted post but not the new post.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

lol to the first part anyway, they won't be back any time before monday, you can go and swing as far as they are concerned. As has always been the way, especially under the current regime.

Soccer forum was always a pain for them, and previous owners/mods so no surprise it's de-prioritised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

RE: User Guide from Niamh:

On Desktop

When I navigate to https://boards.ie/profile/signature

It takes me to the Signature page but reports that I don't have permission.

"You don't have permission to use a signature."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I still had old boards open in cache

God I miss it so much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

No why would they bother engaging with the users, the one updated the provided earlier claimed they are reading the posts and that’s about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't know whats going on? Some quotes like I think yours I've quoted have the full URL under the name and time others don't?

Compare that to where Agent Coulson has been quoted?

Is it down to where the post was made from? Desktop or touch?

Is it different depending on what you are using to read it Desktop or mobile phone?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Both are giving the url so this must be a recent update. I'm guessing updates are still being pushed out this evening

Quoting an older post here, no url present

I have no idea what is causing the url's to generate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are the urls not for the post being quoted within the original post? i.e. instead of showing a quote within a quote it shows a url.

Ah, you're right. I didn't think to actually click into one to see what it was linking to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I’ve only tried to mobile site for 2 days and it’s Just unusable. Page loads so slow and finding what you need is an arduous slow task

By the time the page loads, I’ve had checked my threads and new posts in a few seconds on the old system, along with easily searching for anything I would be interested in. It’s nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Usually don't use mobile, doing now...

Yeah..... feel pain of those who are

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

State of the site. So slow. And what happened to My Forums? I don’t want to see every thread I’ve posted in. I want a simple list of the fora I have subscribed to.

How long was this current version running in beta for? Did you open it up to feedback from anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I only really use this site on mobile. I'm not finding it in any way slow whatsoever. Loads up as fast as the old website. Seems odd that it's like that for some and not others. I'm on Android and using Chrome browser if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Site is absolute ****, revert, revert.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

As you can see things are being constantly updated on site. We have a long list to get through but we are making good progress over the last two days. Just to remind everyone ... we have a small team (3 people) and one developer. Thankfully one of our community managers skilled up in CSS and is flying through fixes. So thanks for your continued patience as we work through things. Hopefully you are starting to see that this new platform is allowing us effect change quickly.

We had a bit more of a backend focus today and a lot of work had to be done (still doing) on mod tools but still got through a lot of issues.

Here are the main updates from today:

• User profile issue where users with spaces, full stops etc couldn't edit their profile is now resolved - Usernames with special characters WIP
    • Follow forum button added
    • Access for Regional forums for Admin & Staff accounts being looked at (an oversight I guess, everyone else can see them)
    • How To Guide started and being updated as we go (spotted an issue just there with hyperlink colour needs fixing ... another one for the list!)
    • Mod group migrated but users to be added (that will take a bit of time to get everyone access ... there's manual work needed here but we are on it)
    • Fixed issue that stopped some users from uploading links
    • Password reset emails issue resolved. Some users got in spam folder but low numbers... we are investigating this however.
    • Navigation improvements in touch via JS and pockets as temporary fix.
    • Various CSS updates across the site
    • SEO backlinks fixed
    • Vanilla footer gone on touch (needs styling)
    • Quick links added on touch
    • Speed issues were fixed however I am seeing some here now on mobile. We will check and run tests ... But if you have any specific info - please share thank you... we cannot replicate any speed issues at the moment.

Two issues identified 1. Updating latest post date and 2. Migrating your followed categories - will require 1 hour planned downtime as the site will need to be taken offline to do this. We will confirm day and time asap - however we would like to do sooner rather than later as they are both significant issues.

More to follow...

Thanks all

Odhran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tables

I miss tables :)

Some who liked "dark mode" might enjoy this.... i will think of making it as my background... as remainder... of good times.....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is the dropdown of my subscribed forums coming back? I appreciate the hard work you are all doing migrating etc. but this makes the site unusable.

@Boards.ie: Odhran it might be minor, but still will ask:

Is renaming buttons/controls/menus to "original" boards layout is an issue? Might not be main concern right now, but is it planed?

Do you(boards.ie) think this could resolve/reduce navigation inconvenience users are experiencing?

Would that potentially make "new" boards more familiar to old us(users)?

Or is it not "on the table" at all and we have to re-learn/get use to to "f" and "birdything" standard from now on?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How do I sort my, ugh, bookmarks, by most recent, the current order is seemingly random and I can’t find threads I’ve posted in today.

This new site is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,246 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Soccer still there, but it’s under “Groups” now instead for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I used to have a link to my favourite forums, you say this is replaced with favourites, but this isn’t my favourite forums, it’s threads within the forums

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Isn’t the soccer forum there when you go to groups?

or is there something missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Found it however it looks like it hasn't transferred over yet, It completely empty except for a 159 members which just looks like the entire Admin & mod teams.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement