Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So, this is nice...

That's the cookie policy page. The privacy notice page is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If it stops the pedantic multiquoting or breaking another post down into individual sentences so a paragraph of drivel can respond to it I'd call that a positive tbh.

Your screenshot proves my whole point - honestly, it's abysmal. Go to Google and check out the relevancy when you use site:boards.ie Bernese Mountain Dog - that is a lot closer to what you saw in the last site and you could filter by date.

Not sure who oversaw the update but is there a way to see who's working on what or do they intend to just leave it this shoddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I still can't sign in on desktop. Literally doesn't have the option.

Can anyone from boards comment on this as it could potentially be affecting a lot more people but because they can't log in (or sign up) they can't post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It saves a lot of storage space thats probably the only reason its done that way.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

'Sign in' is on top right beside magnifying glass and register. try opening in a private window to disable any plugin browser mods you may be using to see if that makes a difference.

if you resize it smaller, it turns into a door and arrow

All the links in the footer appear to be broken

I thought one was able to see who thanked a post by hovering over the Like button, but now I see that one can only see a segment (on Desktop). It only displays names over the space of the thanked post, and then is cut off.

Maybe it seems silly but knowing who thanks certain things can be very helpful - one can know who has a sense of humour similar to one's own, for example. And likewise one can know who thanks posts that are (in my own view, of course) unpleasant or distasteful.

That way it is possible to decide about future engagement - I sometimes specifically choose not to engage with people I know will aggravate me, for example, and I can tell this sometimes from their thanking patterns. (I even chose not to engage with people sometimes if I know I will aggravate them!! Although this is rarer and only happens when I am being good 😇)

I actually think the thanks displayed below the post was better. Thanks isn't just about silly ''likes''. It has other functions too in terms of...ugh, I am actually going to say this ... ''reading the room''(in my view).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

its pure shite, you have to go 4 steps back to take one step foward, you have to go to each thread seperately to see if it is updated not like before when u could look @ the top right corner & number would tell u if thread was updated or not. not one bit mobile friendly bring back the old site.

Actually I have figured out that ''Like'' not only is confined by the space of the thanked post but also only displays to a maximum of 10 names. Refer to Celtic Ramblers post on page 16 of desktop display, which has 13 likes.

yes, I know there are more important things going on in the world! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

On mobile I can comment fine but if I go to report a post, the text box sits under the on screen keyboard so I can't see what I'm typing.

Also not being able to see how many posts are on a thread is more annoying than I expected it to me. A "new thread" could have 20 pages when I open it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Password didn't work, which points to the newer version of vBulletin using a different password hashing algorithm.

Can't understand that I've been upgraded to 'Level 3', whatever that means?

All in all, can't have been easy upgrading Boards from the previous pre-historic and uber-hacked version of vBulletin. Well done! There will be always those who cry "Boo! It's all different! You suck!". In short, well done, I'm sure the smaller issues will be worked out in time.

My guess its three stars on the old system and the system is slowly going through the user base and attributing stars to post count?

Other suggestions welcome?

I don't really care about the windowdressing as long as the functionality issues are resolved, windowdressing can wait

Following forums/Threads on Mobile

As "My Forums" doesnt appear to be making a come back any time soon, here's a way to rebuild your lists of favorite forums

On mobile, find the forum you wish to follow

Go up one level in the breadcrumb links e.g. for Galway City forum, the breadcrumb looks like this

Home - Regional - West - Galway City & County

Clicking on "West" brings you to the list of forums under that topic, click the gear icon beside the forum you want to follow, select "Follow".

Now click the boards logo at the top, this takes you to the "Latest" page. In the dropdown at the top, change view to "Following", now you only see threads from your followed forums.

To get something vaguely similar for threads only, click the star icons beside the thread title, this will add them to your bookmarks.

To see activity on your followed threads, click your avatar, then click the star icon.

None of the above is perfect, but its the best there is at the moment.

Following Forums/Threads on Desktop

I can find no way to follow a forum on desktop at the moment, however if you follow on mobile per above, then on desktop, when you click "Discussions" at the top, you will see a page with only posts from your followed forums whereas clicking the boards logo will bring you to "Latest" across all forums.

Following threads:

Go into the thread you want to follow, click the bookmark icon at the top right of the thread.

To view bookmarks (followed threads), click your avatar in the top right, click bookmarks et voilà

Hope this helps

And I don't care what you care about 🤪

Boards reps asked users to post here with any issues they found, I'm doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

My own two cents, from using this site since 2001 I have to say I'm disappointed on how user friendly the site is today. Its fine I get it on security and reasons for upgrading, I do understand that side of it, its just a little disappointing how the site looks and works. I'm sure we'll all get used to it quickly though and forget the old site. I use it mainly on IOS using Safari and its not great tbh, no real distinction between threads, whats new, whats been updated since your last visit, adding a click for a link opening, the date of the post etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

It's terrible to use this site on my phone now, can't find anything. We should have the option to go back to the way it was, classic mode, nobody wants this unusable mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I have no complaints. Just wondering, why was boards updated / migrated in the first place? It was working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,442 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is anyone from the Boards staff actually going to give an update today on where everything stands or is everyone now finished up for the weekend,

Since you said the Canadian company don't work weekends do we have to wait till the middle of next week for some updates?

Also the soccer forum gone for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

it has taken me over 5 mins to find the section again, total joke click buttons that dont work & clicking buttons that only show limited posts. keep having to click boards.ie each time then to find something else, cause your thread wont show up other wise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah none of the footer links appear to have any content behind them.

Also, the My Threads section is really hard to figure out right now considering that none of the updated threads are highlighted in any way.

It'd be kinda nice if we had some kind of video tutorial to help us navigate this new site because honestly? I'm kinda hating it.

In terms of equating the old site to the new one, this might help some folks

Latest Post = Click Boards Logo

My Forums = Discussions (you must follow your forums again by the looks of it or else this is just a replica of Latest Post page)

My Threads = Bookmarks under your avatar (unsure if these carried over in the update as I never followed specific threads previously)

How to - Get a link to a specific post

Click the Twitter share button and you'll get a direct link to the post as it opens a twitter window with the link pasted into a new tweet

Not user-friendly, but it work

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Poor experience on mobile (which I assume a large % of users access site through) being unable to see when last post in a thread was. I don't care about amount of replies in a thread like, thread being current or not is far more important.

Why bother when the link is currently the time. Right clicking 6:28 pm in your post I've posted allows me on a desktop to right click and save the link https://boards.ie/discussion/comment/117621157#Comment_117621157

I would have thought it would have been better in the long run if the link is moved to an arrow icon to the right of time like it was on the old system (or am I forgetting how the old system was set out?)

• Advertisement

Navigating on mobile is absolutely atrocious. Linked to a tweet earlier and instead of displaying the tweet, it just links to info on the editor you're using. It's just a fairly regressive move for the site as the amount of testing or consideration for user friendliness has gone out the window.

https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/13-rich-editor#what-causes-the-warning-icon-while-inserting-a-rich-embed

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement