Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Basic functionality and a site that doesn't literally cause headaches isn't exactly much to ask. You're also forgetting that without the users, there would be no site.

If the site wasn't ready to deliver this (and it isn't), then it shouldn't have been reopened - but the questions remain as to why this is...

• Was the migration plan ridiculously optimistic or did it leave lots of stuff out?
    • Was the testing not sufficient, or not properly planned to test key requirements?
    • Did Vanilla drop the ball? If so, what are they doing about it now and what does the post-migration hypercare look like?
    • What additional resources have been brought in to get things to where they need to be ASAP? (I really hope it's not just one dev liaising over Teams with a counterpart 5 hours away and a PM shouting at him/her)
    • What oversight was there of the project as a whole - including the comms to the userbase and presumably B2B customers?

... etc

This has nothing to do with the users and everything to do with how this project was planned, tested and implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

@Boards.ie: Niamh you been promoted to second, golden star just for that post alone. Thank you for your service.

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

On any site I’ve ever used it’s always been one greater than sign to skip to the next page and two greater than signs to skip to the last, so the addition of two symbols here to skip forward and back one page is confusing. Also I am on mobile and just tried to add the sign I am referring to and it won’t let me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Will first and last post be coming back?

As in you click on the word first etc im sure you know what i mean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hmm... Clicking on My Forums seems to display my threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is it my imagination or are Notifications coming in a few minutes after new posts?

Several times now I've made a Pavlovian response to click on a notification seconds after its arrived only to find I've already read the post.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm somewhat reluctant to pile in and bash the site as I know that upgrades are being made in good faith and for a better platform but the user experience since the update is extremely poor and turning me off the site entirely.

For me, the glaring issues are:

• all my followed threads being reset to being entirely unread so I have 514 unread threads - this needs a 'mark all as read' function;
    • no high level indicator of how many of my followed threads are unread - just that I have 514 discussions. This is a pointless metric and should be replaced with followed threads with unread posts;
    • the loss of thanks;
    • the inability to identify what time posts were made once they're older than a day;
    • an ugly UI with acres of blank space;
    • no delete post (that I can see);
    • search function just not working;
    • private forums bewilderingly segregated behind 'Groups';
    • no dropdown of my followed forums;
    • topic lists randomly sorted;
    • the 'My Forums' tab having posts sorted by Forum Name rather than date.

Worst of all for me is that the mobile site is entirely unusable. Having used the touch site religiously (and frequently) which was near perfect for what I needed, this is a huge disappointment. Using the desktop site on mobile is just not a goer in this day and age.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

How can I see my posts, replies to my posts where im quoted etc?

This is brutal, a downgrade - change it back, no harm done and we wont hold it against you

I think that the main issue was that the management left it very late to migrate, they kept the old system running on more and more "kludges" so any migration from a heavily kludged system was certain to be problematic. The migration was probably forced on them by the incompatabilities that were creaping in to the application and the underlying operating system.

How do you plan for unrolling so many kludges while maintaing an operational site?

As for support, I suspect that is is being done by a team in the US working 9-5 local time, so they're just getting started about now for today's fixes. Probably not be working over the weekend either.

I also suspect the site is being (temporarily) hosted in the US as well, hence the slowness.

I doubt that boards.ie have the financial resources to throw at a quick fix, large team of coders etc to resolve all the issues quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭POBox19

Clicking a link in a post used to open a new tab allowing you to view the link and then return to boards in the other tab.

Now you get a 'Leaving' message and you've lost where you were and another click is added to open the link. Retrograde upgrade imho.

Leaving

You are now leaving boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'. Click the link to continue to https://flic.kr/p/WbXxiu.

That is a pain, but I have seen that become more and more common on other sites as a security feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I posted about this earlier - I wish they'd sort it so the link opens in a new tab.

I've had some where you get the warning that "you are now leaving boards.ie", and some where it just goes straight to the link site - seems to be random which happens.

it was already asked, but if this the case , why US?

@[Deleted User] I also suspect the site is being (temporarily) hosted in the US as well, hence the slowness.

still over pond. Were there no locals available to pull the job or someone fancy to get data "lost" on database transffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,874 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was gonna ask as the lack of being able to have a ‘find all my posts’ option is really some disaster of a decision or oversight on whomever’s behalf....

i thought I just wasn’t finding it but alas it seems to be not an option..

if you made 30 posts today on 12 topics across 8 forums... picking up where you left off the following day or hours later is a disaster.

Ireland is supposed to be the "digital hub" of Europe, as there are so many tech companies here, but of course they're only here to "rest the money in the account" not the technical expertise, that's outsourced everywhere else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I've just noticed another issue:

On the 'My Threads' tab on the homepage - there is no indicator on any of the threads to say if they have new posts or not. You have to guess based on the time of the last post in the thread whether you have read it already or not. If you go to a forum it does say if threads have new posts so surely it should also say it under the 'My Threads' tab. Currently this tab is all but useless.

Stop finding excuses. The pain is it opens in the current window instead of new window. Fine have your security in a new window but why have the user make 4 clicks to view an offsite webpage and then get back to where they started. Pain for links in Bargain alerts for example.

• Advertisement

If you go into it via the Boards header (top left), that's the case. It's like they just left the old look, but it doesn't work quite properly.

If you go into it via your avatar/bookmarks, then you can see if there's new posts. I'm gradually training myself to do that, it's still two clicks instead of one (why can't they have a hover menu drop down from your avatar???) but at least I'm not clicking into the same thread five times because I don't pay attention to all the detail in the header!

I'm still trying to figure out what "My Discussions" is about in the same menu under the avatar.... anyone?? I thought maybe it was threads I'd posted in, but doesn't seem to include them all, seems to be a bit more random than that.....

Cancel that! It's threads I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Site really really slow,loads of missing features.Back to the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Getting basically one update a day from those running the site isn't helping matters with a frustrated user base!

Did anyone tried start new discussion? More cooking needed here or i am missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

Yep, the front page is old look but without being the way it worked previously. Your explanation is the current correct way which is enhanced with more info, the new count.

This works on mobile too which I'm finding grand btw bar thin border between posts.

Discussions is a bit confusing, it means different things in different views afaics

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

A really small issue but worth adding if this thread is genuinely being taken seriously.

Very minor point - on a desktop I have to scroll right to the end of a post before I "Leave a Comment" otherwise the pop up notifications from the bottom left of the screen block the "Leave a Comment" dialog box and interfere with it. Thing is never had the issue with notifications from other sites or apps as they mostly come in from the bottom right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bleedin’ developers....

User: ‘I’m quite happy with the way things are. I like the useability and interface. Why would you change anything. It’s grand. Leave it alone!’

Developer: ‘No no no. You’re doing it all wrong. That’s not how you’re supposed to be using and interacting with the site. Here. Do this from now on and do it this way. Why? Because if you don’t, I’m pointless. Also, I know better. I did a course’.

I’ll give it a month. If it’s still shyte I’ll give it a permanent miss. No reintroduction of the dark theme will be a deal-breaker for me. A dark option is pretty standard everywhere else. Why not here?

I'm gradually getting used to the new way of navigating around.....

But the maddening thing, both in Touch on the phone, and desktop on the laptop, is the slowness of pages to load - it's really, really slow! Very hard to get used to these days - and hopefully something that will be addressed sooner rather than later.

Also while I'm typing this on the phone in the Touch site.... the screen doesn't automatically scroll up when my typing goes below the bottom of the text box, I have to push/swipe the page up myself..... not exactly the end of the world, but another irritating, unexpected glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Actually this is very good tip, this was really annoying me, also just now instead of starting at top of last page it put me to last read comment

Seems like its improving all the time

• Advertisement

Anyone know if there is a way to mark all threads as read?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement