Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Had a look there and there is no link directly on your profile on desktop.. which is another thing that needs to be added I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ah give over with the "muscle memory" nonsense. After a week's downtime, supposedly in the name of allowing for a smooth migration, we were presented with a platform that lacks some of the most basic forum functionality. It's not a "muscle memory" problem if you have to look for third party extensions and personal CSS solutions to make the site readable, and then still have to look for workarounds to make it usable.

Some of what, at first, seemed to have been lost is still here in one form or another, e.g. the "Find my posts" which has been referenced a few times (including by me). Well, I found it last night ... ... ... on the mobile version, buried under about six layers of taps and scrolling. Great - I can retrain myself to consider posts as "comments" (why? why do we need to invent a new word for an industry standard term?) ... but even if I know where to go now, (a) I'm only given 10 posts at a time [feckin' ridiculous on a forum where members will usually have thousands of posts, so that feature was not designed with a boards-like community in mind]; (b) there's no way to filter them by any criterion whatsoever; and (c) the stupidly short list is displayed after all my profile info, which takes up the whole screen of my mobile, so I have to scroll past my own info to read every - single - new - batch.

That's not a "muscle memory" problem. That's pure, unadulterated, incompetence on the part of the (Vanilla) design team, and a serious lack of judgement on the part of whoever in Boards decided to avoid all the other very good, very stable, very functional forum software solutions and opt for this instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm finding it really difficult to use the site at the moment.

Major fixes that are needed:

• 'My Forums' drop down menu needs to be brought back, I can't navigate the site without it. My Forums on the homepage is not the same thing, it does not list your subbed forums.
    • Soccer Forum needs to be fixed, I know you're working on that though.
    • A Dark Theme needs to be build once all the other layout issues are sorted. Currently the site is far too bright and will give many users headaches.

More minor fixes that are needed:

• Bring back the bold for unread and non-bold text for read when viewing thread lists
    • Bring back post numbers
    • The time only displays for posts posted on the current day, for posts on previous days it just shows the date. It needs to show both the date and time for all posts.
    • When you post in a thread, the new post is displayed under previously viewed post and not after new posts that were made in the meantime. You have to refresh the page in order for your post to show the correct position in the thread.

Hopefully Boards doesn't lose too many users in the coming days, it's a bit of a mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Credit to Trigger above, but https://boards.ie/profile/comments should take you to it. There's no button anywhere I can find, hopefully that gets added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

For the touch site a lot of issues could be fixed with some simple ui changes.

Buttons on the homepage (or at least in one place) for subscribed forums, subscribed threads, trending and latest

Cut out the wasted space on the thread/forum listing - lots of padding around titles etc

On thread, have a better distinction between post header (username etc), post content and post footer (quote, report buttons etc). Just altering the background colour between the 3 sections would make threads much easier to read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is there a version for mobile? The whiteness is giving me headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You could try the below:

• Open Chrome on your device.
    • In the top right corner, tap the three vertical dots > Settings > Themes.
    • Choose the Dark theme. Or you can select System Default, which will put Chrome in dark mode if Battery Saver is enabled or if your device-wide settings are set to dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You can follow a forum here btw - go to menu > categories, click the gear icon and then follow. They don't look to have been imported

You can view them on the homepage then

Also you can get to subscribed threads here:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

FWIW (if anyone from Boards is reading this thread) - I've been reading stuff on computer screens for more than 35 years and never had any real problem with any site, not even the psychedelic multicoloured flashing sites of the early 90s. But even with the minor CSS tweaks of yesterday, I am genuinely finding it painful to read this new layout on a proper screen (laptop).

Can't quite work out where the problem stems from, but I think it's the combination of font face and size, crammed into a tiny space in the off-centre of the screen, as it's not anywhere nearly as bad on the profile info page.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not being metaphorical here - it's giving me a pain in my temples, the like of which I have never experienced before ... which goes away as soon as I close the discussion window.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Anyone else unable to post a new discussion here? https://boards.ie/categories/state-benefits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can't see it on the desktop or touch site but where all my thanked posts gone. Much the same as checking your previous posts, it was handy to check the posts you've had thanked or that you thanked. This new like functionality instead is crap and doesn't seem to count the older posts that were migrated over in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just look at the date stamps on the most recent posts all are before the "abomination" so looks like no one has posted since the site went back on line.

Tried a couple and couldn't post in any.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are we going to get a user manual on how to figure out this mess??

ive tried, but I can’t even find my posts from yesterday? I’m struggling to find one single positive from this new site. It’s dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

There's two things that I struggle with currently. Can't figure out how to change my profile pic or if it's even possible. The second one is struggling with navigation. One thing I noticed is that if you search posts, you can't jump to a section on the board from the results like you were able to before. What I mean is, it shows the path to the message under each post title but it's static, the path contains no clickable links. I used to use that as a shortcut sometimes as it's too tiresome to go through categories trying to remember in which category under which topic the thing you wanted to check out was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

Jesus Christ relax will ya?

I've read nearly every thread about this and yes, it's mostly where's My threads/My Forums/My Posts/How do I? etc

It's a completely different platform that is not going away, which is being worked on as we speak so +1 for constructive posts, not so much the whining.

We all know the clusterfck of the downtime and what needs to be done and when it's all fixed up within the platforms capabilities the old muscle memory will still be at the forefront of complaints/frustrations till it's not.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Probably mentioned already, but the "Last Post" time displayed seems to be using GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Same as myself. It's genuinely painful to use after even only 10/15 minutes

Try the "Dark Reader" extension for Chrome/others. It was recommended on one of these threads and it's definitely helped me in the meantime. After some tweaks I have it looking like this...

... still not perfect, but a lot better than it was/currently is for most.

New gripe, links that take you off boards.ie instead of opening in a new page - copy and pasted links and worst still adverts do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Advertisement

I did a module on designing websites a few years back as part of a degree and accessibility was a huge part of the training for web design. Font sizes and colours, sans serif, serif, backgrounds, size of display, also ease of navigation, understandable buttons, easy reverse, etc etc. These are kind of fundamental issues. They do not just affect people with recognised disability. Anyone can have temporary disability, anyone can have declining sense faculties, anyone can just not be completely hip to the ever-changing tech groove. I find the modern style of less is more in websites and their icons and navigation to be frankly silly and indulgent. There are some minimalist websites that one goes to and it's like one of those mono-coloured canvases that took the artist 3 torturous years to envision and complete... 😂

https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-intro/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I was able to change mine easily yesterday. Click your icon in the top right, click edit profile then you should see the below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Probably for ads alright. Ad blocker might be doing its thing also. Some sites have ads beside the top few posts then the rest of the posts in the thread get moved over which could work out better here. A lot of white space. Even if posts where centre to the screen and kept the width they are it would be better. I prefer the shorter to read lines of text though the spacing on the right seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here with the summary of it. Communication from boards has in my view always been poor. Through out the whole debacle it’s been piece meal. Then the reply from boards to people on Twitter came across fairly blunt and some of them rude. Take this thread for example there’s what now 20+ pages on mobile with one or two comments for boards staff. It’s fairly obvious that the site was nowhere near ready to be launched but yet it still was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

No Settings in Profile? There used to be an extensive settings section where you could set themes as well. The loss of the dark theme is keenly felt. The desktop version at least has the My Forums tab again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Pasting image is nice and all, could have more if once image shifted(aka float to...) to a side would allow text body to be on the other. would save some space and would be better readable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Super, Perfect on android - One the followed forums data is migrated over and this can be seen handy on desktop IMO, things will be flying again 😁

The point is where would I find a help page when the navigation is messed up. If I've not already posted in a help page thread I'm not going to waste my time trying to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Not sure either. People don't like change and will just complain about it. Site is a lot better than the previous version. Sure it is a tad bit slow at the minute and there's lots of bugs and missing features. Sure it could have gone smoother, but this is how it is get on with it! 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

What makes you think there will be any further migration? My guess its too complicated to be worth the effort.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement