Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Maybe it’s been mentioned already but the search doesn’t bring up forums with that name anymore on touch. Which is a pain seeing as my followed forums is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Jesus this new boards is probably the death of boards for me and I've been here about 15 years through closed accounts etc.

Whoever tested this needs to have their head examined and so does whoever Greenlit the change

Are you not going to look at fixing the fact that there’s no way to land on the first unread post in a thread? That one is absolutely vital to get working.

When did there top banner menu on mobile go dead? None of the buttons work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭xlogo

Sorry not read all of the threads but will the app be back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That is working. Click the thread title to open first unread post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just realised that when you click on a thread that you've already been reading, and there's been a lot of new posts since you were last in it, you're brought to the top of the last page and not the first unread post.

I almost missed a whole heap of posts in this thread overnight, including one that was a direct reply to me - it was only the notification of the reply that gave the game away. (This despite thinking that I'd turned those notifications off 🙄)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why did you change to this woeful new look?

This is a massive step backward for mobile users particularly.

Any I’ve tried (on mobile or desktop) land me way back from where I used to be on a thread and I’ve to go up the pages looking for the latest post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That's weird. Try clearing your cache and cookies and allow cookies if prompted.

It should keep track of where you left off after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not much to add really other than to echo the general sentiment; the new site completed disaster in terms of usability and navigability.

Edit: ok much more readable using the desktop site on the phone.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Only posts for today have the time displayed for when they were posted. Any post before today just says the day, so it is impossible to know what time a post was made yesterday for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Not liking the new look

The whole thing just hurts my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

The correct way to view a website? I presume we should all use dial up as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You need to cut your losses and revert back to the old site for the present. Work on the new version in the background and then relaunch at a later date when you have ironed out all of the difficulties.

This is a very poor effort I'm afraid. You have taken the narrow-minded approach of trying to cut down on ongoing dev resources at the expense of EVERYTHING else including users. With this much upheaval and dissatisfaction from users, how can your advertisers be happy?

Simple things like finding previous posts are impossible. All of my followed forums have disappeared with no obvious way to re-follow them so I constantly have to manually scroll to the top of a page, click on Topics, wait, scroll through ALL of the forums and sub-forums, find the forum and click, wait, then get to the forum and repeat ad nauseam. Just poor.

The site on mobile is worse. So much white space on a small screen and it doesn't fit it properly. The page doesn't 'lock' to the screen either so there is a slight sway left and right as I scroll the page.

So many many things wrong which not be apparent on a live site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'd love to know the breakdown of users, mobile or desktop, because I think the largest chunk of complaints is from those of us trying to use the mobile site. Desktop doesn't seem quite as bad, though not perfect.

Couple of questions.

Can we chop quotes when replying or do we need to quote the whole thing?

Can we multiquote?

How do you search username, or advanced search?

Will there be some kind of subscription or perk to get rid of advertising, do Mods still not have adverts or is it foisted on them as well?

Do we click on the fleg to report posts?

Is the roll out going as well as Boards HQ expected?

Maybe I've just got used to it but Reddit on mobile is a much more useable site than this is currently. I did miss clicking on my familar boards forums while it was away though, and hopefully it will iron out the kinks sooner rather than later, because it can't afford to lose many more users I wouldn't think.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,858 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I highly doubt this was tested at all.

Essentially we're all beta testers at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Desktop is really no better though.

• No favourite/subbed forums make navigation a mess
    • Too may clicks generally. No hover option
    • The navigation menu at the top is a bigger mess than it was when they reduced to 4 headings "temporarily" on the old site
    • Unless you work around it with something like the Dark Reader extension, the colour scheme is a literal eyesore. I was genuinely getting headaches trying to use the site yesterday before someone suggested that extension on a thread

... and all the other issues that people have flagged on this and the AH threads

But the BIGGEST issue I think is the response from Boards itself. Despite multiple threads and hundreds of posts calling this stuff out, and expressing a LOT of unhappiness and frustration over the change and questioning the supposed benefits it was to bring, the silence from the staff is extremely noticeable - except for the occasional post telling us what they're working on next (which seems to be somewhat random and not in any sort of priority)

That's great and all but it sorta misses the point. You are ploughing on regardless of the feedback of your users and (no doubt soon to be) customers. It's the same old, same old of user feedback only being welcome if it's in glowing terms. Some of the tit-for-tat nonsense on Twitter over the last week for example was ridiculous. Yes, some people were frustrated and taking it out on whoever was replying, but Boards needs to be a lot more aware of how a petty squabble with a random twitter user is perceived by others - in short, if Boards wants to be a serious business, ye need to start acting like it across all engagements .. even if that means holding your tongue sometimes (think about how you'd react and view the company if you had an agent from one of the big utility or mobile companies acting like that if you called with an issue).

I think that one of the biggest problems this site has (before the mess that is this relaunch) is perception of how its run. That perception may not always be justified or fair, but it's still out there: heavy-handed inconsistent moderation, feedback and constructive criticism or suggestions largely ignored, and generally not a nice place to be if you aren't on the right "side" of an issue.

Maybe one thing you should consider @Boards.ie: Odhran is how you plan to professionalise your team's (this includes the mods - the "they're volunteers" argument doesn't hold up when they're representing/acting on behalf of the site) engagement with its customers. The first step would be to clearly acknowledge and apologise for the issues over the last week and especially since yesterday, set out why ye have relaunched in this state, what resources have been allocated to addressing the issues, a realistic and achievable timeframe to resolving the most significant ones (and a list of what you've identified those are), and so on.. Then come back here with regular updates on how you are progressing through this - and yes I know you are kinda doing this, but there's a lot more needed to address the other points I've raised.

If you are serious about this site moving forward and growing again - and especially if you intend to make more money from it - then you need to really address these issues rapidly. Unlike 15/20 years ago, there is no shortage of alternatives, and while Boards has a lot of great (user-generated) content, it wouldn't take much for a competitor to setup a new site with a new ethos and take a lot of your audience I'd suggest - especially this week!

So, we're not just at a crossroads for the platform and the site as a technical entity. It's also a crossroads for whether it'll survive and grow, or wither and die IMO if the feedback I've read over particularly the last 24 hours is any indication.

The choice as they say, is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Small thing in the grand scheme of this "upgrade" but on the mobile view no way of telling stckies from regular threads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I actually prefer mobile over the desktop version. Desktop version is an eyesore tbh and I actually find it hard to look at. Mobile whilst very limited is cleaner and had a lot less whitespace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Logged into boards on my desktop and there is no option to sign in. This new version is an absolute disaster.

Without a ''find my posts'' option I have no clue where I last posted - I don't always read the thread title or what forum it is in, just post and go. (I know, I know!) It used to be that by posting one automatically was then Following that thread. But now no automatic follow and no record of one's posts under avatar. So I have no clue what replies have been made or how the conversation is going etc, cos I cannot find the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

Besides the bugs 😉, I think a lot of complaints are to do with users muscle memory and stuff like new monikers for the most used sections ie, Categories for Forums, Bookmarks for My Threads, Discussions for Threads

I wonder is it possible to present familiar section titles at the frontend to users or are you stuck with using 'Categories' 'Discussions' etc?

I see DigitalSpy Forums use exact same terminology 'Categories' 'Discussions' (rejoined recently just to see how they've implemented it)

Maybe tooltips should be employed to help users know what the new names, icons etc are for in relation to the old familiar functions - something that is activated at start and is able to be turned off in settings when users get used to the layout/navigation

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Had dark mode on the other boards, dark reader extension will do as a temp fix.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh/related?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You can use the comments link in your profile to do that.

https://boards.ie/profile/comments/

Unfortunately there is no search for it that I can find, It sorted from newest to oldest and if you click on the date beside the comment it will bring you to that post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Adding to this, I clicked on a link in this thread https://boards.ie/discussion/2057864762/whod-live-in-a-house-like-this-part-2#latest and I was automatically directed to the site without having to double click confirming I was leaving. But in other threads I still have to confirm I wish to "leave" Boards after clicking. This confirmation needs to be removed?

Thank you.

But where on earth is that comments option? I looked in my profile on Desktop and don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I worked for a company a number of years back that got a new fancy schmancy operating system in, literally spent millions buying and getting it installed. It was the first company to ever buy the software and was essentially the guinea pig for it. It was a disaster and eventually after 4 or 5 years it was phased out and replaced by something else, costing millions more. The vendor though was able to work through all the kinks on my then employers dime and sell on a working product to other firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cadetirldub

Hi Odhran,

Most of my private messages are gone now. Any way to fix this? I know I had some unread messages that are now gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For me, the number 1 biggest annoyance is that there is no button to see my own most recent posts.

I can see all threads 'started' by me, but i don't start many threads, I want to see the threads that i've commented on

If this is there already, can someone please show me where it is!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement