Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Getting weird errors on the touch site, just to add to the misery of it.

[quote]

An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database. dsn: host=10.232.1.111;dbname=vf_boards_L7U2F;host=10.232.1.111;dbname=vf_boards_L7U2F;charset=utf8mb4, error: host=10.232.1.111;dbname=vf_boards_L7U2F;host=10.232.1.111;dbname=vf_boards_L7U2F;charset=utf8mb4SQLSTATE[08004] [1040] Too many connections

[/quote]

edit:

ffs! it can’t even do [ tags ]

🤦‍♂️

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

Here are some of fixes we implemented today. More tomorrow...

• Added logo to top Nav (mobile/m)
    • Replaced page heading – Now Ye’re Talkin’ (m)
    • Homepage, Category View – Thread Title font colour (m)
    • Homepage – in [Forum Name] – Update font size, colour and spacing (m)
    • Page header background colour (m)
    • Some button colours (New Discussion, for example) (m)
    • User Dropdown (in Nav bar) background colour (m)
    • Updated breadcrumbs font colour (m)
    • Remove large white space from above quotes in a post (all)
    • Replaced white background across site with a greyDisabled Who’s Online plugin based on user feedback (m)
    • Stopped long usernames and large lists of user roles from spilling into post or making the user info box very wide (all)
    • Password reset emails have been turned on (all)
    • Disabled Who's Online

Some bigger issues being worked on

• Missing content from Groups being investigated and migration team looking at this now
    • SEO deep Links to be updated to go to the correct thread/forum
    • Followed forums not imported
    • Replicate Edit Profile settings that are on the mobile version on to desktop (change password, change avatar)
    • Speed of site (Needs some investigation - more to follow)
    • Homepage Trending Tab on mobile for easier access to threads.
    • Replicating navigation structure that was on Desktop and Touch.

I will check in again tomorrow. In the meantime we will continue to work into the night to resolve known issues - in particular the bigger ones called out.

While our go live was by no means perfect - Boards of old was end of life. We had to make a change. But now instead of our strategy being one of keeping the site alive until next time... this change means that we are now on a stable platform that will allow us build out new features, have a faster more stable site and focus on building new products, services and communities.

Thanks all,

Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Really need the drop down menus at the top. Finding anything at the moment involves a scroll marathon and is cumbersome.

I used the dark theme on the old site - is/will this be possible soon? Currently there's too much white which is hard on the eyes on a desktop screen.

24 hour time format please or maybe an option in profile to select the preferred time format...?

Why the double line spacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,858 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was really annoyed with how the migration went, 7 days down time? That's really poor showing and for me really show lack of planning and testing. It's basically incompetence. I work in I.T I fully understand huge moves BUT why wasnt this planned better?

Is there any particular reason why there couldnt be a new instance of boards running while keeping the old one live and do all my testing on the new one and when everything move all users over.

I could forgiven all this if the website performed well and actually was useable but this current incarnation of boards.ie is abomination and worse I have ever seen in my 17yrs on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Why was the old forum end of life? Bodybuilding.com runs on vBulletin and has 16.5m users

Simply selecting text also brings up a formatting menu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I came on with an open mind, but whatever this is that I've logged onto is woeful.

Too bright. Categories doesn't work. Cloudfare issues. Can't find the directory of forums. Are private hosted forums gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Where are all the editing tools gone for posts?Cut& paste doesn't work,and the "Edit" button doesn't do anything either?Help please?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Stop everything! This abomination has to be scrapped. I can no longer access the site on my Nintendo Wii U web browser. Whereas before, I could. Clearly, this wasn't thought through enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s great to have a “work around” but it’s a pain in the arse to have to do every time you switch browser tabs.

The site should just have one like before, hopefully it gets added soon.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Also on mobile needs to better show what page your on. The the light blue/ black aren’t the easiest to differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Can we have the page numbers at the top of page 1 of a multi page thread. page 2 and on is fine, just missing from top of page 1.

page1

subsequent pages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Almost got lost witch thread i am posting to. Having thread path banner would be nice feature to get back.

So much relaxing colour....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

For intolerable scrolling on desktop/laptop, use your keyboards people.

Home/Spacebar/PgUp/PgDown/F5

Your wrist will thank ya for leaving it functioning for what it was intended to do 😀

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Has anyone found out how to go to your last read post in a thread yet? I can't cope with scrolling right through a thread to find out where I left off??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

May I suggest something like this for the top bar? The followed threads button is what I use the most but it's hidden behind a click (or two if I want to go to the full page). I would like to see the messages and notifications indicators too. It's really annoying having the basic navigation and notification features hidden away.

Simply click on the thread title (once cookies are set/allowed)

No more tiny leftside widget for that.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Thanks archfi, there used to be a "view last read" or something like that no? It wasn't a tiny widget for me but I use it on a laptop not phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Well at least things are being worked on. I've been using it at various times today on desktop and mobile and the biggest issue for me is how slow it is to load a page. Next is the lack of drop down menus for categories and followed groups (or the total lack of followed groups anywhere) and the fact that the "breadcrumbs" don't remain visible when you scroll down a page.. There are probably others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I just noticed something - from main page (click on boards.ie logo) the old style is still in operation - the widget thing to get to your first unread post in thread.

The new way (click on thread title) is in Bookmarks, the new My Threads😉

I only ever had the two down arrow widgets - view first unread post in thread and view last post in thread on pc/laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Anyone else noticing that the time of post always seems to be 1 hour behind, most especially on the mobile version (apart from quotes which seem to show the right time). On the desktop site, it seems to be 1 hour behind when viewing latest post on the home page, yet when I click in the time of post is correct (example - thread on main page shows latest post by example_1 at 9:45pm, click into thread and latest post by example_1 is at 10:45pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I'm starting to get used to it. I like that I get a notification if someone quotes my post. I've been looking for that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Site is extremely slow, hardly bothered with it today, just too cumbersome....

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

I'm not a computer guy, but wouldn't it have made sense to, I dunno, test the new site before migrating to it?

It's borderline unusable on laptop, completely unusable on mobile.

What was wrong with upgrading to vBulletin 5 instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Page loads are notably slow, but the #1 issue I can't be forgiving of is the dropdown list is just, gone. Without the droplist, I don't want to click through 2 or 3 pages just to find the forum I want to check. Top-right menu from the prior version could please make a comeback that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Having migrated to the Vanilla system, what is the deal with thread limits. Do they still exist at 10,000 posts, or is the new system capable of handling greater than 10,000 posts in one thread smoothly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The white is such an eye strain.

Had to turn down the brightness on my phone.

Why do we have to scroll down to the end of the page to post a comment? There should be an icon for posting at both top and bottom.

Overall, I don't like the look and layout but welcome the image upload which was badly needed.

To thine own self be true

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement