Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Tork

I was able to change mine on mobile but not on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Tork

Is it possible to delete a comment? I posted two in a row by mistake (the second blank) and can't remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

And another thing: as the day has gone on and (possibly?) more people are back online, this comment box is freezing up more and more.

Just had to wait 29 seconds for it to come back - third time in one sentence

fourth time, 24 seconds this time.

Feckin stupid.

Ah FFS five times now.

Sixx ... seven That's it. I'mdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I see!

• Advertisement

User title only appear under the first poster in a thread. I'm talking about "Banned", "Registered User", "Moderators" etc, see below for the first and second poster in another thread.

Also notice the first poster has "Posts" showing up twice, but one states 339 posts, and the other states 325 posts

Also, the stars. First user has 2 sets of stars, one showing 2 stars, one showing a single star. Second poster only has the second star showing up

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

Why is after-hours one page, is that something to be fixed or am I just not seeing the page numbers?

The one good thing I see, is that your username isn't on display now (it used to be always visible, but now is hidden). No more being afraid of people finding out your username, if they look at what you're doing, on a laptop 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Profile editing options on the desktop = 0, not even trying to edit my username

Some more available on the phone

Isn't this wording for "f" ? What platform this is moved to you said ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can't see the vanilla emoji options, I just use the ones on my phone. 🐱🐈🦮🐕‍🦺🐕🐶

As I said on Twitter, damned if you do and damned if you don't. Hard to please everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I'm sure it hasn't been implemented yet but will mention anyway. Clicking the boards logo takes you to "latest posts" instead of the tab you have set in your profile i.e. "My Threads" "My Forums" etc

Also the header is sticky but the navigation is not. Would use this often to get back to the forum or sub forum.

Another thing is editing. Much prefer to have it in the post like before, extra clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Mobile version is shite.. switch it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Click on your profile pic on the top right, then the circled icon and select edit profile. I used an external pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

okay i have finally managed to log into my account. i was unable to earlier because this migration literally CHANGED THE CHARACTERS OF MY USERNAME as it could not recognise the fada. that is ridiculous. there i was wondering if thirteen years of my own post history had vanished from history. but now my username just looks like gibberish. i don't have the willpower to go over the many formatting annoyances that have come with this upgrade.

this migration is an unmitigated disaster whichever way you look at it. it reminds me a lot of vbulletin forums circa 2007 - 2012, when every webmaster tried to monetise them by moving to different software (xenforo and the like) to make them more appealing to advertisers. in all of these cases the forums went defunct shortly thereafter. boards is one of the last great legacy vbulletin message boards that still exists with a bustling amount of activity, and it could be argued that it has had a sort of renaissance period during the covid-19 pandemic as it certainly was not as active as it has been in the last eighteen months in the last five years before that i would say.

this migration is frankly disrespectful to the userbase. no one with any modicum of knowledge of how boards.ie works or why people use it would ever sign off on whatever the **** this end result is. and don't talk to me about "a work in progress", that's not good enough. the reasons for this migration have been obfuscated -- purchasing additional servers was probably the most obvious and efficient way to go about fixing any of boards' issues. and for those of you who are struggling to run boards on a for-profit model: it's not 2003 anymore, it's pretty much impossible to run vbulletin software on a for-profit model. this migration was completely unnecessary and has damaged the forum to a huge extent the magnitude of which probably isn't obvious to most people read it lest of all the people who signed off on this because only someone who did not actively use boards.ie or engage in forum culture at all could have thought this was a good idea.

quote me hereafter a few months from now but i can assure you this is the death knell for boards.ie. this is how you alienate a userbase and expedite your own extirpation. i hope someone at the top will see sense and revert back to what boards was a week ago - assuming you have backups - because otherwise it's game over for everyone involved.

rip boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It just dawned on me from seeing the default avatars that Digital Spy are also using Vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

For sure, that'll always be the case - most of the complaints are due to muscle memory 😀

I've been sporadically on all day on pc and mobile and I really like some of the little new features.

Drafts, notification control, notification when someone replies to me, better reply box, quote levels, better uploading images/links/spoilers, new count on bookmarks, better quote style, click thread title not some tiny widget to go to latest post on followed thread

I know navigation, themes, whitespace is to be fixed and I'm pretty sure they'll invent a new old frontpage layout - latest, bookmarks, likes, forums etc will be back

Overall I like it - it looks basically the same with new, more modern widgets and I'm sure it's 100% better behind the scenes.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hey guys quick one, I assumed being a subscriber meant you didn't see any adverts? I'm logged in and seeing ads. I'm assuming this might be something to do with profile rankings not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,061 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This may have been discussed further since this morning. I tried to do this ^^ but could not see the 'para' sign. I clicked on the space where it was supposed to be and it appeared, but missing the left hand half of it. I am on desktop Windows 10 Chrome and it seems the space on the left of the box is not wide enough for the symbol and the drop down to be shown.

You have a theme activated in Stylus at the top. Deactivate it and things will go back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

thanking you sir. i would usually be more reticent but the entire ordeal is so exasperatingly unnecessary, i could not hold back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Can't figure how to get to Sent messages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's obviously already been said by others, but the inability to search within a specific thread or forum is a disaster, so many long running threads (including many in the COVID forum) are predicated on the idea of being gigantic, long info dumps within which people can search for what they're looking for without having to read potentially dozens or hundreds of pages of posts. This needs to be sorted as a priority IMO, I realise there are many issues but it's going to lead to serious clogging of megathreads if people can't search for their question before posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Does not appear available on PC, but if you go to ALL messages it will show all conversations In/Out inclusive

For those wanting to change their avatar - https://boards.ie/profile/picture

It's horrible.

I'm leaving the mobile platform. If desktop version is same faceboards styling I'm leaving the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Is there a difference between Categories and Topics?

It seems as if there isn't, as clicking on either option seems to bring you to a page with a non alphabetical list of forums.

I've a space in my name, as indeed do you. Neither of us can update our profiles as a result... "Usernames must be 3-20 characters and consist of letters, numbers, and underscores."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I assume most people access boards on a mobile these days?

Anyone know how to get your threads showing on the front page or is that a glitch being looked at already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement