Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

VAT & Customs Purchases 1st July

  • 30-06-2021 10:10am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    It appears that after today any purchases from 'outside the EU' will incur extra VAT and customs charges applied to it any any price. So the 22.00 euro limit for your ebay stuff has gone.

    So I think everything will cost a minimum of 23% more. This means you wont be able to get sod all without paying through the nose for it.

    Lovely!!


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ freddieot


    Don't forget the Customs Clearance Fee on top of that, which varies by delivery company...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    Goods are still in short supply. I was trying to buy shoes yesterday and it was hobsons choice in a lot of shops. Popped in Easons to buy a magazine and was told they are only buying the bare minimum in titles and in amounts. I was looking at a gardening magazine and nearly pooped myself when i seen the 10 euro price tag !

    The Chinese have big warehouses in eastern europe, the Czech republic or Poland or somewhere to try to swerve the import taxes.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    We were warned of this back in January.

    The €22 limit was never that useful. If you buy something for €21 it'll now cost you €27-ish. Anything over €22 was already costing you VAT.

    The kicker is the €150 mark. After this you're subject to Custom charges as well, at 8% iirc.

    A quick way to check is to add a quarter of the cost of the item (in euros) then add 10% more. Its rough as a Bear's backside ut will give you working figures.

    I'm still buying stuff from the UK though. Even with the charges it can be cheaper. Bought a second hand mirror for my car a couple of months back and between the cost of it, shipping and VAT it came ot €76. The same one here was costing me between €125 to €140, with a new one at €255.

    My only concern is gifts. There is a limit of €45 on gifts. So if someone sends me something as a gift and its over €45 its subject to VAT and/or customs.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45


    Yup the honourable Chinese are already two steps of us Imperialistic capitalists.
    If you go to Aliexpress or the like,you can now find delivery destinations from all over Europe.Only thing different is they are now charging "postage" from China.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    Cass wrote: »
    We were warned of this back in January.

    The €22 limit was never that useful. If you buy something for €21 it'll now cost you €27-ish. Anything over €22 was already costing you VAT.

    The kicker is the €150 mark. After this you're subject to Custom charges as well, at 8% iirc.

    A quick way to check is to add a quarter of the cost of the item (in euros) then add 10% more. Its rough as a Bear's backside ut will give you working figures.

    I'm still buying stuff from the UK though. Even with the charges it can be cheaper. Bought a second hand mirror for my car a couple of months back and between the cost of it, shipping and VAT it came ot €76. The same one here was costing me between €125 to €140, with a new one at €255.

    My only concern is gifts. There is a limit of €45 on gifts. So if someone sends me something as a gift and its over €45 its subject to VAT and/or customs.

    I had an email from An Post thats why I put this up.

    If it isnt manufactured or sold in EU then really taxing the goods as an import is wrong. If it is sold or made in EU then taxing outside goods is protectionism. Protectionism is something the EU claims they are against and all for free trade. :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    Does anybody know if Northern Ireland is in or out? A bit like the Hokey Cokey.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    I had an email from An Post thats why I put this up.
    It was discussed a few months back when some of us got an e-mail from the address pal groups to say they were no longer shipping from the UK.
    Does anybody know if Northern Ireland is in or out? A bit like the Hokey Cokey.
    From the Revenue site it says goods entering NI from the UK (or outside of the EU I presume) are subject to VAT and other import taxation. Same as us.

    Goods from NI to the EU cotinue as they were.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    I had an email from An Post thats why I put this up.

    If it isnt manufactured or sold in EU then really taxing the goods as an import is wrong. If it is sold or made in EU then taxing outside goods is protectionism. Protectionism is something the EU claims they are against and all for free trade. :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

    Be your age, they claim to be democratic too, when was the last time you voted for the people who propose and force through eu laws - The commission. A massive amount of factual evidence will be presented to the eu parliament against the lead ban. It will be ignored and passed anyway.




  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    Just got the An Post email too, great, everything more expensive. A lad i know in the UK was saying 6k is been charged on every container headed for Tesco's here. Someone has to pay for that, us :(. Same in other supermarkets i suppose too. Aldi and Lidl are not stocking the amounts of goods they were, several of the middle aisle special offers are not in stock as they cannot get the stuff in.


    P.s. Premium unleaded 1.66 a litre today !


  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ freddieot


    I had an email from An Post thats why I put this up.

    If it isnt manufactured or sold in EU then really taxing the goods as an import is wrong. If it is sold or made in EU then taxing outside goods is protectionism. Protectionism is something the EU claims they are against and all for free trade. :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

    In fairness. if you lived in GB, their Government abolished the low value limit on 1 January 2021, once BREXIT took full effect. It was about £17 (22 Euro). If anything the EU have waited longer than most to protect their own markets.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    freddieot wrote: »
    In fairness. if you lived in GB, their Government abolished the low value limit on 1 January 2021, once BREXIT took full effect. It was about £17 (22 Euro). If anything the EU have waited longer than most to protect their own markets.

    Then if it wasnt cheaper in the first place from the UK I wouldnt have sourced my goods from there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45


    www.deliverme.ie.
    For those things, you just HAVE to buy in the UK, and the UK won't ship to the ROI direct,but will to NI.Bit expensive mind at 25 euros a go.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭ JP22


    tudderone wrote: »
    .............Aldi and Lidl are not stocking the amounts of goods they were, ...............

    It’s not just Aldi & Lidl, lots of the bigger shops/retailer’s have greatly reduced stock/reduced variety than here to fore.

    Someone said to me, food and necessary consumables take first place now, everything else is a bonus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    www.deliverme.ie.
    For those things, you just HAVE to buy in the UK, and the UK won't ship to the ROI direct,but will to NI.Bit expensive mind at 25 euros a go.

    Pricing tools from Germany and the postage was nearly as expensive as getting them from the Uk. Its grab your ankles and think of home and beauty time !


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ Car99


    Wouldnt you think An post would set up addresspal Germany or France and ditch the now useless UK service .


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cookimonster


    JP22 wrote: »
    It’s not just Aldi & Lidl, lots of the bigger shops/retailer’s have greatly reduced stock/reduced variety than here to fore.

    Someone said to me, food and necessary consumables take first place now, everything else is a bonus.

    There's seemingly a big international shortage of shipping containers that is also adding to a combination of post Brexit, Pandemic and a few other international happenings.

    The other half said there was a good piece about the VAT rate on the radio this afternoon. Seemingly its a EU thing and not a fall out from Brexit, it's just now that the UK is gone out of the market that we will feel it. Will this finally close the Chinese Internet market ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭ JP22


    There's seemingly a big international shortage of shipping containers that is also adding to a combination of post Brexit, Pandemic and a few other international happenings.

    The other half said there was a good piece about the VAT rate on the radio this afternoon. Seemingly its a EU thing and not a fall out from Brexit, it's just now that the UK is gone out of the market that we will feel it. Will this finally close the Chinese Internet market ?

    True, (saw a piece on tv about it) containers are in short supply and charges have gone through the roof deepening on origin and end destination.
    Now, end of China market, doubtful. Yes, they produce lots of cheap ****e and plenty of counterfeit stuff.

    But, if you’re a big serious international player, get your dies/plans to them with own in house QC personnel, they can produce just as good as most countries and more importantly far cheaper.

    Working conditions are crap though and consumer demand controls most things today. We all want it now and cheap and people dispose of stuff just to get the latest and newest fad stuff when the old stuff still works. Crazy.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    There's seemingly a big international shortage of shipping containers that is also adding to a combination of post Brexit, Pandemic and a few other international happenings.

    Yeah saw a vid on this. Apparently last year in first Covid, all shipping containers went one way from China. Because we werent working nothing went back, so containers are everywhere else but China where they want them.

    It is cheaper to melt containers down than send them back empty. (get more steel on ship). But they are places where they are do not make steel or only a few do. So a container is worth lots but not worth moving it unless you can fill it with something that somebody else wants at the time there is a boat available that is going in that direction.:confused:

    It's one of those very complicated but very simple things.:rolleyes:

    So the price of steel is going through the roof but when it gets sorted it could crash.........Dunno.

    I rang about some roofing sheets last week and woman said price goes up by 30% from 1st July. :eek:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    Theres a huge demand for Melton Mowbray pork pie. People having withdrawal symptoms going cold turkey for 6 months now.

    It's not nice. I have been there. Waitrose Gala pie, the pork pie with egg inside. Food of the gods. It's been a long time but I could taste it now just thinking about it.

    Could make a mint running a pork pie smuggling chain from UK to Ireland. Need a fridge van though.:)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    tudderone wrote: »
    Pricing tools from Germany and the postage was nearly as expensive as getting them from the Uk. Its grab your ankles and think of home and beauty time !

    Lock your vans lads and cover them with a blanket. Gone in seconds.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ Fils


    Install van vaults in van, blanket what is that for?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    Fils wrote: »
    Install van vaults in van, blanket what is that for?

    Dont get too excited:) Cover your tools silly.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ Fils


    Protect your tools, install a van vault add a layer of security.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    Dont get too excited:) Cover your tools silly.:)

    Hey, hey, hey, less of that now. The Catholic Church have been campaigning against that for years. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45


    Car99 wrote: »
    Wouldnt you think An post would set up addresspal Germany or France and ditch the now useless UK service .

    Or become some enterprising lad like the Poles and E blockers do. Get a weekly run going with a lad in a van to collect your goodies in an EU country, and bring them over. Anything from a letter to a suite of furniture,to engine blocks,tools etc,and have a return run bringing stuff back from Ireland. Works out cheaper than the postal services in some cases for big items.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭ JP22


    BEWARE - An Post

    If customs/taxes due and your package is being handled by An Post, they will text you with a link to pay whats due.

    Madness - They must have their heads buried in the sand, or have they not noticed we were hacked or have they never heard of mobile number spoofing.

    Sending texts with links is crazy, its just making things easier for criminals.


  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ GSBellew


    tudderone wrote: »
    Just got the An Post email too, great, everything more expensive. A lad i know in the UK was saying 6k is been charged on every container headed for Tesco's here. Someone has to pay for that, us :(. Same in other supermarkets i suppose too. Aldi and Lidl are not stocking the amounts of goods they were, several of the middle aisle special offers are not in stock as they cannot get the stuff in.


    P.s. Premium unleaded 1.66 a litre today !

    The €6k is going to be VAT or predominantly VAT with a bit of Duty if they are importing non UK origin goods from the UK, Tesco get an input credit for the VAT paid, same as if they bought the goods from an Irish supplier, business pretty much as usual, just used to be a Zero rated intra EU transaction before.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ Bog Trotter99


    GSBellew wrote: »
    The €6k is going to be VAT or predominantly VAT with a bit of Duty if they are importing non UK origin goods from the UK, Tesco get an input credit for the VAT paid, same as if they bought the goods from an Irish supplier, business pretty much as usual, just used to be a Zero rated intra EU transaction before.

    Going off topic here but the EU's attempt of trying to teach the UK a lesson and warn any others thinking of leaving........... By charging Irish citizens extra money for goods purchased in the UK and by stopping half the goods we always saw in our shops is not business as usual.

    The EU has restricted our normal life and dictated on who and what we can buy and spend our money on/with. They have also made goods rise in price in the shops or be unavailable to Irish citizens and businesses.

    They have dumped on Ireland from a great height. If the UK citizens wanted to leave that is up to them. There is no way us in Ireland should be penalised because the EU cant accept it. Brexit rant over.


  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ GSBellew


    Going off topic here but the EU's attempt of trying to teach the UK a lesson and warn any others thinking of leaving........... By charging Irish citizens extra money for goods purchased in the UK and by stopping half the goods we always saw in our shops is not business as usual.

    The EU has restricted our normal life and dictated on who and what we can buy and spend our money on/with. They have also made goods rise in price in the shops or be unavailable to Irish citizens and businesses.

    They have dumped on Ireland from a great height. If the UK citizens wanted to leave that is up to them. There is no way us in Ireland should be penalised because the EU cant accept it. Brexit rant over.

    The EU are not charging us anything over and above any charges that would be levied on any goods from any third country, in fact the trade deal is pretty good, the U.K. Could have taken Theresa Mays deal, which would have kept you happier, they didn't, that's their fault, not the EU's

    You are free to spend your money wherever you want, it'll cost more outside the single market naturally, sure what would be the point of a single market if an outsider (the UK in this case) got full access without being inside it?

    I suggest you redirect your anger towards those that left, or perhaps focus on purchasing from within the EU, you might find it surprising, but you can buy stuff from an EU country, in the same currency, delivered to your door.

    If you want to join brexit land perhaps start or join a political movement with that aim, or when that fails emigrate to the UK.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭ It wasnt me123


    Cass wrote: »
    I……….


    From the Revenue site it says goods entering NI from the UK (or outside of the EU I presume) are subject to VAT and other import taxation. Same as us.

    Goods from NI to the EU cotinue as they were.

    No customs duties on products being sent to NI from GB, only VAT and you pay that anyways, regardless of what country in Europe you buy from.


Advertisement