Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

And does it apply to our seasonal visitors who don't live in houses. Can members of 40 different caravans meet in Rathkeale

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Next up random checks. Like the TV licence inspector coming in to see if you have a tele

Sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Unfortunately I have met plenty who not only believe it all but can’t get enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

A wise man once said:

We comply because we want it to end but it won’t end because we comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

It makes me a bit sad to be called a randomer on the internet but anyway, here's some experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

One of those studies was conducted in Italy, too. Probably way worse in countries where they don't use their hands for 70% of all communication 😛

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Quoting this because it so perfectly sums up my feelings. And from the number of likes a huge amount of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

This is a fantastic post, you have basically articulated my entire position here, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see late last night Government postponed the Testing requirements for 48 hours according to Aer Lingus, I suspect airlines (in particular MOL of Ryanair) had hissy fits 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Chief Moaner and all round utter buffoon, Adrian Cummins from the RAI on morning Ireland now.

Looking for EWSS to be increased and yet few of his members ever availed of it, of course looking for further supports, amazingly he didn't blame PUP for all his industries woes or ask for PUP to return but then again, him and his ghastly ilk couldn't give a Shyte about the staff who yet again will be the ones to really suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Possibly the best post I've read since this whole **** show started. If there was any journalistic integrity left in this country, a piece like this would be front-and-centre of the Sunday papers but, alas, we have to rely on Boards for a bit of nuanced analysis of the situation. It's just a pity that enough people won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭brickster69

Looks like part two of Delta is starting up in the States. Totally unprepared, everything open, lots of areas with low vaxed populations and winter starting. Could well turn into a total disaster if it kicks off like part two has in Europe.

I mean how can these people be so thick not to see what has gone on in other countries that got hit earlier with Delta and not prepare for the worst case. It is beyond belief

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

this “thing” 😁

a Freudian slip if ever I saw one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We'll see, Indos Kevin Doyle, "As of now there are no plans for an emergency Cabinet meeting today so it looks like these potential restrictions won’t be decided upon until next week. Vibe in Government is that they don’t want to do it but the memory of last Christmas looms large."

I think it'll be pointed out the large difference between last xmas and this xmas. Let's see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Thank christ we are as a people and government a lot more sensible in our approach to this pandemic than the lunatics over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for the kind words (and indeed everyone else who has thanked or commented on the post).

I did leave out our compliant media (many of whom are either related to the political class - particularly in RTE, or positioning for a staffer job with them) and who are making a significant sum in advertising from all those HSE ads they were running. The phrase "conflict of interest" most definitely comes to mind.

Unfortunately I don't do social media, and such a letter would never be published as you say, but the number of thanks on it today vs similar posts I've made in the past suggests that an increasing number of people do feel exactly the same way and are wondering where the end game is and how much is enough?!

Personally I only see it ending one of 2 ways...

• Leo takes power again next year and given he is entirely driven by what's good for him and his profile, the increasing loss of support for NPHET and unjustified measures among the public will sway him to push back on the "advice" in a more definitive manner. This is a far from ideal solution, but possible and the next big milestone politically will be a general election where SF will likely be in the driving seat. FG/FF will do anything (as they did this time) to prevent that, so he and the rest will have their eyes on that. I doubt very much that they'll want to be campaigning and still trying to justify restrictions at that point
    • NPHET overplay their hand completely (maybe extending masking to younger kids next as others here have suggested, or demanding mandatory vaccination) and it acts as a final straw for people and we see demonstrations along the lines of the Irish Water protests so large and diverse that they can't be dismissed as a bunch of cranks or "far right" extremists - again this is occurring now of course because of my first point above

I will say though that people need to make their voices heard, whether it be on sites like this or writing to your TDs. Our biggest problem is that we don't engage with the political process outside of an election (and even then many don't bother). This is why we are where we are now. These people work for us, not the other way around and it's no harm reminding them of this every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

There’s a lot of talk in that article about what NPHET “wants” - they can keep on wanting because nobody is listening to them at this point. Everyone should enjoy the Christmas season this year and just put NPHET “advice” on mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Has a date for these new restrictions being imposed, been mentioned? Have a wedding Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Imagine still taking any advice from NPHET or, even worse, Micháel Martin at this late stage in the game!!!

This week we had the minister for education recommend that parents should bring their kids to the GP if their glasses fog up because of the new (pointless) mask rules! How embarrassing for us all as Irish people to witness this sh!t.

I know a lot of people (myself included sometimes) can be swayed towards a grand conspiracy to curtail peoples' liberty or usher in something like a social credit system. Not impossible.

However, in this country at least, the simple explanation for our over-the-top mismanagement of c-19 is good old fashioned Irish political incompetence. Incompetence coupled with the fact that our populous is generally easy going, which allows our incompetent leaders to introduce further restrictions when the old ones don't seem to be working anymore.

I believe this hysteria honestly only stops when we all stop complying. I believe we are probably too polite and patient as a nation and as others have articulated better than me, there is some kind of weird stigma attached to anyone who doesn't just get on with things - even when those things are restrictions that don't really make sense in many cases, and more importantly aren't doing anything to combat the spread of covid. If there is no strong statistical evidence that masks, social distancing, vax passports, early closing times, endless virtual teams meetings etc. are helping the situation, then these things seriously need to go ASAP.

It kills me to say it but the Brits really are putting the rest of us to shame with their successful dismantling of covid rules.

I share the view with other posters that the normies in our country are losing patience a bit more these days, waking up little by little, and I sincerely hope its the beginning of a turning point of mass non-compliance where individual citizens adopt a common sense approach to managing their own health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭shockframe

Thats good. Lets lockdown though for the next 6-8 months just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Delta i would say. Generally it has gone in two steps. France is the perfect example and looks very much that it kicks off with the weather like we are seeing everywhere else now. For me it looks like Ireland has done far better than everyone because it has not gone totally crazy.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Lowest amount of Covid patients in 25 days.

NPHET: "Let's have more restrictions!"

Panic stations at Leinster House, initially no cabinet meeting planned until next Tuesday (Gov work Tuesday to Thursday), now it would appear stress levels rising and covid cabinet sub Committee meeting at 11 o clock today , God bless them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

lowest hospitalizations in 25 days 94% vacinated and close down for xmas was always going to happen with Nphet in charge no living in with covid here.

ha ha glad I left no restrictions where i stay

Advertisement