Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• If they wanted an accurate model (that's debatable) but they could be assuming that 75% of the population are fully vaccinated and 75% of those recovered would be fully vaccinated, so recovered and double vaccinated, meaning for the assumption of the model they don't have to account for waining in the recovered group.

Probably make more sence lobbing them in with those boostered (assuming they account for that, who knows though)

• Advertisement

• Ya, they've pretty much rode roughshod over it so far, so I wouldn't take that bodily autonomy stuff as them being unable to do mandatory vaccinations.

• Its an assumption in a model, not a stated fact. The level of waning following infection is not really understood. Its the same mechanism as with the vaccine though, so it will happen.

• I will defer to the Lancet on this:

In this study we have inferred phylogenetic relationships among the human-infecting coronaviruses, demonstrating that a phylogenetic analysis of the ancestral and descendent states can inform our understanding of virus-specific waning of antibodies post-infection, the probability of infection at a given antibody level, and the distribution of likely times to reinfection. Our analyses show that both the waning antibody profiles and the probabilities of infection at a given antibody level are heterogeneous among human-infecting coronaviruses. Quantifying both of these parameters by ancestral and descendent states analysis enabled us to infer a timescale to likely reinfection for each coronavirus. Reinfection by SARS-CoV-2 under endemic conditions would likely occur between 3 and 63 months after peak antibody response, with a median of 16 months. This protection is of less than half the duration revealed for the endemic coronaviruses circulating among humans.

So a bit longer than vaccine but subject to similar waning. The good news though is the whether natural or vaccine induced, effectiveness against serious illness will remain robust. It is also likely that booster immunity will be longer - repeated exposure produces better immune response - for example polio vaccines require 4 doses for maximum efficacy

• Advertisement

• Is there going to be another lockdown this month?

• Don't like some of the early noises from NPHET. Hospitality for the boosted only is on the cards I reckon.

Chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said Nphet would be meeting on Thursday to consider whether further restrictions were necessary, “mindful of Delta and the uncertainty around the Omicron variant”.

“If we could see extensive use of the vaccine pass, whether mandated or voluntary, all of that would give us greater assurance in relation to protection and prevention of transmission,” he said.

• Can't see it happening they should leave things the way they are and bring back contact tracing in school.

• Well that ain't a runner given the level of boosting we currently have.

The extensive use of vaccine pass he refers to is the recommendation to use it in gyms and personal services. It's been recommended twice in the last 3 weeks and turned down by government each time.

• I wouldn't be so sure, we had division between vaxxed and unvaxxed during the summer and it was the young who were left outside.

• Bit of a difference in doing that when the 20s were getting vaccines and when its over 60s getting boosters.

At that point everyone was eligible to get a vaccine, not everyone can get a booster at this point

• Advertisement

• The government allows it, that's the main issue for me.

• If she's really THAT naïve, she has no business being in that job. She's standing at a podium giving an interview. Of course everything she says is going to be reported - including her "personal" opinion (which some might also call kite-flying/groundwork-laying)

But as I have said previously here and elsewhere, it is more evidence of the EUs overreach into the average citizen's lives. Ah I miss when it was just a trade body!

• The Government nowadays is the Cabinet, and even then a subset of that group for many key issues.

That's an even bigger issue in itself.

• On Freedom of movement

Article 40.4 states that “no citizen shall be deprived of his personal liberty save in accordance with law"

Meaning legislators can make it law that you have to stay within 2 or 5km of your home, similar to the constitutionality of MHQ where people can be stuck in a hotel room

On the right to a livelihood.

Article 45.2 states that the citizens (all of whom, men and women equally, have the right to an adequate means of livelihood) may through their occupations find the means of making reasonable provision for their domestic needs.

That, in a nutshell, is why the PUP exists. The 350/week is considered "reasonable provision"

• I really don't think there will be tribunals about the Covid response. If there is, it'll be a complete waste of money.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, Clutch, The Cure

• Advertisement

• Another article in which the actual quotes from the Taoiseach bear no resemblance to the headline.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, Clutch, The Cure

Advertisement