Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭prunudo

If they do backtrack on removal of restrictions it is no longer about covid and everything to do with the hse mismanagement of the health service. They now have a perfect excuse to hide behind their failings and can lean on the government to implement restrictions on the public.

Again if this does come to fruition, it can be added to the list of things many posters said but were rounded on for saying would happen. Its all too predictable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The HSE have no control over the number of cases nor the severity of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ridiculous day for COVID news,

Morning - worried about figures

Afternoon - we are on track for reopening

Evening - can't guarantee 22nd reopening will go ahead (something they usually say a few days before they plan to delay something)

Can these idiots get anything right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seriously folks, I know you are looking at all those kites flying and recalling the multiple times we saw those kites before and how that turned out, but just remember that a few high profile posters in here have been extremely clear that all restrictions are going on October 22nd, and that no further restrictions will be brought in over the winter.

There is no debate here, it simply isn't happening, all restrictions go on the 22nd. They were very clear on that, no matter what the government says.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

they should probably stay indoors so and let the rest of us get on with our lives

• Advertisement

Throw up an auld screenshot of the headlines on RTE website there, or does that only happen when it suits you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That there are government ministers even talking about potential delays to full reopening is mind boggling. 90%+ vaccinated and we have the Taoiseach musing about not reopening as planned. Honestly it's a farce at this stage, but we've seen this movie before with kites flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

"High profile posters" 🤣

They are just opinions from normal people. Nobody knows what's going to happen.

Going to be some serious egg on faces around here if the reopening is delayed. But I'm sure they'll tell us that this was actually always expected to happen and is probably a good thing.

Really? They seemed very certain to me, quite unequivocal about what was going to happen and how others were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Normally i’d agree but the below comments are now surfacing. There’s not a hope 22nd is going to happen now, :

Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn today was

"serious"

That the trajectory of the disease has taken a

wrong turn, he added, with a sudden increase in

case numbers.

He said that Government wants to see more data

and that it will reflect on the situation.

"It's very important that the public at large realise

that Covid hasn't gone away", the Taoiseach said.

He said that hospital numbers are higher than he

would like them to be and this is having an impact.

It was an

"alert to all of us to knuckle down, refocus

on this virus because it hasn't gone away," Mr

Martin added.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Waterford has the highest vaccination rate in the country followed by Carlow.

Waterford has the highest incidence of Covid in the country followed by Carlow.

There goes the theory that the unvaccinated are the ones testing positive.

Again, something else that proves my point. This nuthouse fixating on a single headline while the reality is that it’s a single headline amid a myriad of stories

So do you think there is nothing to see here and it's full steam ahead for the 22nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Approving another lockdown or further delaying the reopening with 90% of people vaccinated, would be like admitting that the vaccine doesn't work. And of course if the vaccine doesn't work the green pass is as useless as a chocolate teapot: for this reason, any person capable of reasoning, that complied with the measures, cannot think that the 22nd will be postponed/cancelled. Because if that happened it would mean that they fooled a whole nation....

....oh wait 😷

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The NSE itself in 2009 said it need to have 587 Fully Staffed ICU beds by 2020....guess wha' Ted...we had 291,a figure which remained largely ststic throughout the Pandemic...but HEY !...good news budget 2021 has sprung into action .....the HSE may yet get its wish...sometime around 2041....https://www.rte.ie/news/budget-2022/2021/1012/1253160-budget-2022-at-a-glance/ "€10.5 million has been provided for 19 additional critical care beds in 2022, bringing the total ICU beds next year to 340"

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm honestly not surprised at these stats, what is curious is what I perceive as an odd agenda or narrative led by certain individuals in the HSE focusing on un vaccinated people being the only people being infected. Particularly when it's common knowledge even those vaccinated can and do get infected. Fair enough we know or at least hope that once vaccinated seriousness illness possibility lesson's but the question not really being answered is vaccine protection weakening after 6/9 month's. Its a fact most people vaccinated are nearing 6 months and the most vulnerable 9 months.

Yes there's an additional dose now rolling out and it's not even being called a booster .

Honestly, I worry that the government seems to have hedged all its bets on the initial vaccine roll out, there appears to be absolutely no plan B 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If they do delay, it will have seriously gone beyond a joke.

If I hear “this virus hasn’t gone away you know” one more time….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They won't allow places open at full capacity even with the covid certs

It's a real middle finger to parts of the entertainment sector who have been preparing for there long awaited return

Few people have been as contemptuous as Raind towards those concerned that restrictions may not go as quickly as hoped. My favourite was the comparison with Japanese soldiers living in caves afraid to face reality, that was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not quite ....the HSE never even came close to meeting it's own target.

Almost exactly 12 months ago....

Funding has enabled the HSE to put in place 55 permanent and fully-staffed beds during the pandemic, increasing capacity by 25% since before March and bringing the current number to 280. 

Separately, he said, there also is funding in the Winter Plan for an extra 17 beds, bringing the number close to 300.

Pre-Covid capacity: 225

Temporary surge capacity: 354

Current permanent capacity: 280

Capacity after Winter Plan funding: 297

There were 41 of current 280 full-staffed beds available yesterday.

Pitiful stuff,which puts the actual Pandemic in the shade.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

If they do delay what will it be in aid of? I see no logical reason not to reopen although maybe our very brainy politicians have that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I will continue to live my life as normal as possible as I have done since June 2020, restrictions or no restrictions.

Like me, many of of my friends, family and colleagues will be doing exactly the same after 22nd whether Tony says so or not. Life is happening now. Death and packed hospitals have been a feature of life for as long as I can remember.

Don’t believe in the media hype, understand what Covid is. And realise that we are all going to get it at some stage and this is life now.

I can see many reasons to reopen to be honest. Don’t know what planet you’re living on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Surprise Surprise a couple of weeks away from opening up and the scare stories start ramping up and now talks of a delay. Its not like this tactic hasn't been used before.

Apologies for the typo, for clarity, I see no reason NOT to reopen (original post will be updated)

Also for clarity, "our brainy politicians" was sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I haven't even checked on this sub forum in weeks as my life is basically back to normal more or less and covid is an afterthought for me, but Martin's comments today are absolutely farcical.

Like there was a bad cold going around last week, I picked it up myself as did the woman. She works in healthcare so needed to get tested, which came back negative. Fought it off after a couple of days.

Have we lost all ability to stay at home if we are feeling unwell? Why can't the doubly-vaccinated and whoever else get on with their lives and let those with symptoms or who refused to get vaccinated isolate themselves this time? Or should we just let the remaining industries that haven't opened yet go down the pan because 69 people are in an ICU amid a population with one of the best vaccine take-ups in the world?

Gutless.

Advertisement