Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

It will be a tough sell for the public health authorities and the govt to suggest that even with 90% plus of the population fully vaccinated, and that 70% of ICU admissions are unvaccinated, that the country can’t proceed with the remaining lifting of covid restrictions next Friday.

The leak re this meeting that Fergal Bowers that suggests the negative mood music with NPHET, DOH and the HSE was deeply unhelpful for the nightclub and entertainment industry who for some if the 22nd October date of reopening doesn’t proceed, could mean that they cease trading. The leak culture in this country has to STOP ASAP.

the govt are afraid to upset and undermine Dr Tony and NPHET after the Christmas debacle of last year. They clearly don’t want a repeat of this whole “meaningful Christmas” nonsense that had devastating consequences for many families losing their loved ones and led to many getting very sick.

I don’t go to nightclubs, but know that they are an important fabric of local society. Failure to reopen on next Friday will be the final nail in the coffin which would have devastating consequences for rural and local economies.

what happens will happen I suppose. But hopes that we will see 50,000 for Ireland v Portugal and bustling city centres come next month are rapidly fading. It’s a failure on our public health representatives and politicians that we continue to see the continuation of the same issues blighting the health system. It’s completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nakom

and that 70% of ICU admissions are unvaccinated

is there any data backing up this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd love to hear the rationale for keep restrictions in place post 22..

I suspect this is simply the media doing what the media does best.. talk utter shite.

But if they do indeed keep restrictions in place or even partly then I simply couldn't fathom the reasons they'd potentially give.

As I said, docile population so I'd suspect no reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The back peddling has started

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ah yes !! they will be delighted with this ... absolutely delighted!!!

• Advertisement

Conspiracy theorists incoming to tell us about how all this was predicted...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There's no reasoning except that they have to be seen to be doing something, even if it's of no benefit. Just another example of covid theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭breadmond

I knew this would happen. They were just waiting on an excuse. They claim that we have just enough vaccine protection for our current level of restrictions bit how the hell could we have any higher proportion of people vaccinated?

Just listening to the RTE news here ...

"ireland is on a tightrope , with barely the right amount of vaccines available to keep things open as they are now"

:D Talk about gaslighting !!!

yeah 90%+ vaccinated, yeah a tightrope .... and I see the "concern" is returning ... I wonder what the adherents to the church of covid will say when they do a U turn on the October 22 lifting of restrictions ...

Conspiracy theorists!!! would you go away ourra da!!!

They have been constantly backpeddling since March 2020 and "15 days to flatten the curve" ...

• Advertisement

Bryan Dobson on RTE news just short of **** on air ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The rationale for restrictions in the future will always be the same rationale that applied for them in the first place: to protect the health service.

If the health service is about to collapse then what do you do? That was the question asked in 2020, I have yet to see one reason why it no longer applies?

And remember, the key point is the collapse itself, not what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Those opposed to lockdown, or as far as I could tell any restrictions were telling us that lockdown and restrictions would have such ruinous effect on our economy we would never recover. Yet for 2021 Corporation Tax revenue rose by 8% to a record 13.5 Billion, Income Tax by 3.3 Billion and V.A.T. by 1 Billion with our GDP predicted to grow by 15.6% next year. Their budget deficit predictions were well wide of the mark as well.

I don`t see anything much in this budget of increased taxes due to the governments Covid actions. Far as I can see they are for climate change measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hiding it amidst the budget news does not strike me as a media tactic of spreading fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

im concerned about being in an office where people are not wearing a mask(during the day), thanks for reply. i guess i can drink my Tea through a straw..and eat my lunch outside

Riiight and when Ireland's health service was/will be on the brink every flu season because it's such a pox health service - was there lockdowns pre 2020???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Unless you're severly immunocompromised I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I still think returning to the office should be on voluntary basis counting on each employe personal responsibility. Each person knows the best their circumstances like situation at home, their health, vaccination status, way of commuting, which an employer can't asses. I think it should stay that way till March, which would let us get through winter and sneezing time...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Barely the right amount of vaccines available to keep things open as they are..

Urm what does that even mean? Vaccines aren't like Calpol.. you get vaccinated, you move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭bloopy

There an interesting emphasis on existing vaccine waning in the piece on radio one. Is it possible that it is not about stopping the reopening but more to do with softening people up for boosters for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The big fear for the government is getting this wrong and seeing a huge spike in the lead up to Xmas forcing their hand into rolling way back on opening up. For all our mental health's sake i don't think we can take another lockdown of any sort as a nation. I know personally i'll struggle big time if that happens.

The last few months should have been spent massively increasing our hospital capacity to handle any surge so we can remain open.

It's just to set the precedent, and they can say "See !! if we were 95% covered we would have been able to lift restrictions !! - but because of naughty naught 'anti vaxxers' we'll need to reintroduce them"

I expect them to come out with the "save christmas" tripe too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No, there were not lockdowns to protect the health service before 2020.

In 2020, there were lockdowns to protect the health service.

So which is it going to be in the future?

And to avoid the usual blather, no I would not lockdown or have any restrictions. But this isn't about me, it is about what the people who were in charge in 2020 are going to do next.

Other countries around Europe are admitting that even if there are more waves the health services can deal with it at this stage with pretty much 100% of elderly/vulnerable covered + 85-90% of the rest of the adults.

Denmark have had cases rising now for weeks, don't think they will be rolling back will they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's likely to come from those people who are still unvaccinated and Delta is quickly running through all of those! By Christmas we should have all of these groups currently being offered a third shot, done. It's not a major fear but some restrictions could come back in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

i agree, i think the majority want to just meet for pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I've heard of a few people that have got it in the last couple of weeks and all of these are double-jabbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Know of one or two who were surprised to be positive. They should not be severe cases nor hospitalisations, which is why we did all of this.

Advertisement