Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone receiving an mRNA vaccine or an AZ vaccine has a four week wait for their second jab. Ergo, even if everyone who wanted a vaccine was given one tomorrow, it would be at least August 23rd before everyone who wanted a vaccine was considered fully vaccinated. There are a wide variety of reasons that people may have chosen to go through the HSE portal as opposed to their local pharmacy - not least because of the utter havoc with which the pharmacy rollout was launched, resulting in confusion among pharmacists themselves, lack of supplies, and chronically clogged phone lines.

Question: do folks believe, if the options were opening to vaccinated or maintaining closed indoors until everyone got access to the option of a vaccine m, that we have chosen the worst of those two options?

Oh, is it four weeks now for AZ, really cant keep up with all the changes, it was twelve weeks recently..

Its less than twelve weeks since a decision was made not to give AZ to young people, seemingly they were at more risk from the vaccine than they were from covid. Delta is causing no harm to young people, hundreds and thousands of 18 year olds caught it while partying, did any of them even go to a GP.

But now the scariant variant talk has started so lets change to goalposts and tell young people AZ is safe after all.

we will have boatloads of AZ shortly and its much cheaper than the other vaccines. The money is running out so encourage the young to take AZ, hold out the prospect of never getting inside the door of a pub or nightclub and watch the teens bite.

This vista was forecast twenty months ago and those who had the foresight to point it out were scoffed out.

who read the room correctly, certainly not you stephen, you have been defending the nonsense going on for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Defending what nonsense? All I've done is point out your factually incorrect post with regards to the current rollout and options available. Btw the young aren't being encouraged to take AZ, it's being made perfectly clear in any information that Pfizer and Moderna are the preferred option. You'd swear nobody in their 20s is getting Pfizer or Moderna the way your going on.

If your alluding to vaccine passports can you point to a post where I'm in favour of them ? Because you won't find one.

I'm not in favour of them outside of international travel but no point in ranting in raving about it, the decision is made. Learned a while ago, don't get worked up over something you can't control, would help a few people

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

Getting my vaccine on the weekend, I recovered from covid a little over 6 months ago so realistically I don’t need it, but the government are basically forcing young people like me to take it. Its an absolute joke that I’ve had the past year and a half of my life wasted and now I’m being told that if I don’t take this vaccine that I don’t even need then I won’t be allowed to drink with my mates or eat indoors with my partner. Its really putting me off taking it the way it’s being forced on me, and only a few weeks ago they were saying it’s dangerous for young people??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When your only position is to put forward a false choice, your argument has run out of road and reduced to being disingenous

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I think its insane because we could have chosen the option we have chosen months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭brickster69

All roads lead to Rome.

Why is it a false choice? It’s two options. And once again highlights in the face of continued and sustained relaxation of restrictions with an obvious end point that actual progress, even if slower than some would like, is not what people here want. It’s just an outlet to vent blind fury for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Next few weeks crucial so or insert whatever other meaningless pr phrase you like.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

From a wider economy point of view it makes sense to go down the route we are going down, fewer people on the PUP or reduced hours, the flip side is beer gardens will be quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are we the only country that is banning unvaccinated from certain indoor activities AND not using tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

If those were the only choices then perhaps opening on Monday would be the lesser of two evils.

But who decided these were the only options? It wasn’t clear from NPHET that the reopening of indoor dining (no mention of certs) sometime in September was conditional only on everyone being offered a vaccine - moreso their models predicted the current wave and forecasted potential overwhelming of healthcare system, would subside by then (yes due to increased vaccinations but also exposure to Delta). Perhaps documentation was always to be required come September for certain indoor services, but it wasn’t mentioned.

Considering in the short term hospitality are accepting HSE cards stating patron is fully vaccinated alongside digital certs on phones and hardcopy - why wouldn’t a recent negative PCR be enough to gain access? It was enough for international travel.

By the time the app/scanner is distributed there’s no reason your negative PCR can’t be incorporated just like in most EU countries. That’s without even getting into antigen testing, which understandably would be a large-scale operation, and one that should have been initiated months ago, but one which other EU countries have provided their citizens with to allow them access to certain services in the absence of vaccination for any reason.

Creating a two-tier system which by and large tells young people to go f*ck themselves is not "progress". Reopen for everyone, reopen with antigen/PCR testing or reopen later are all options which avoid the undeniable air of "the people we care about are vaccinated so we're going ahead, as for you twenty and thirtysomethings, well, sure you should know from all of our other policies that we don't care about you or your psychological wellbeing in the slightest".

Negative test should of course be an option. There is not the capacity to do pcr at that rate however. Daily antigen should be an option at this stage due to reduced risk profile. Eg fewer vulnerable therefore the impact of failed to detects is mimimised.

I agree, I am raging too that my young adults who have had covid are prepared to take this unnecessary vaccine in order to live a life they are entitled to.

It was bad enough that Johnson was an option but now pharmacies have no stock left.

so its log into a portal and take what you are offered.

So Astra and wait whatever number of weeks the “experts” have decided, or pfizer ir Moderna.

And shut up complaining and moaning because its not going to make an difference anyway, how did young people become so passive, they have decades of their lives to live so should not be forced to take a vaccine for a virus their immune system has seen off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I see we still have posters pretending testing isn’t an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Things are going to get nasty over the next 6months in Europe. Irish people will roll over for it but you won't be telling Italian's, French, Greeks and most certainly the likes of the former eastern block that they can have their freedom if back but you need to do X.

Poland have hit 40odd percentage with a first jab and they've hit a wall. The take up has slowed dramatically. Romania got to 20odd percent and have had to start selling their vaccines. I don't want to get into vaccine skepticism but it's one thing we know for sure, the citizens of these countries will not take kindly to the mere threat of the freedoms that them and their parents fought for to just roll over give such power to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What about the option to have a testing regime also like in Denmark for example? That's been completely ignored in Ireland.

This is the blind rage I was talking about without any effort to verify the facts. Adults recovered from Covid will be allowed enter.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0721/1236324-indoor-dining-decision/

There are areas in poland now rated as GAY FREE zones, actual towns. I know many poles who will not take a vaccine and some who believe sun creams cause skin cancer.. all that aside, as you say, these folks will not go softly into the night, we need chapters not leafs from their books on this area.. the sun creams and gay stuff..just context as to the culture.. having survived WW2 and escaped Russia and having had a plane blown up years ago, full of polish leaders..they are very distrustful and now right to be so!

The point is the option we have taken is progress. There of course can be a debate about whether different options could have been taken, but it’s a path to opening while delta passes. We do know that nphets preferred option is to wait until post peak

Lots of “nasty” uprisings been predicted here for the last 16 months

I know someone from Slovakia who believes Ireland are giving non Irish saline. Reasons everyone he knows from outside Ireland had no side effects while all the Irish he knows did.

But the most interesting thing is he doesn’t know anyone here who says they will not get a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I didn't guarantee it but I certainly poo-poo'd the notion.

The difference between here and Denmark is that they'll accept a negative test.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭brickster69

Look like it's mass protest time in quite a few Italian cities tonight and a National protest coming up in France on Saturday. Interesting few weeks ahead.

All roads lead to Rome.

id love to tell you the feck off but you're correct, Id say he's right. I know a few who wont take it or at least until this phase 4 is done which could be a few more years for long term effects to show. BUT my family and all of my friends have got theirs for their reasons, as it should be. I prefer to sit in the long grass for some time yet thanks. It looks like the long grass will be out side the coffee shops too into next year. This covid pass thing will go on for good.

And on the uprisings in IRELAND, it's not like Irish water, again, you're right I feel, it just wont happen here or I stand to be corrected maybe.

• Advertisement

Give it a couple of weeks and you'll all be complaining that pints of Guinness indoors don't taste as nice as they used to since you last had one.

Advertisement