Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is still much cheaper for the taxpayer.

The one-off houses should never have been allowed anyway, and removing that blight from the countryside would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

What does it cost the taxpayer to house generations of the same families in council houses in prime city locations every year? handing out A rating houses to people who have never done a days work in their lives costing over 500k a pop like confetti.

I'm as pissed off as the next person with all this, but a least with these people from Donegal and Mayo they got of their holes and build or bought their own houses from themself and their families. but it looks likes anyone that tries to do the right thing in life often makes me wonder why bother.

Sorry, maybe you misunderstood, but if I were the State, I would offer to rehouse those affected in brand new estate in the many nearby towns and villages and hand ownership over to them. In return, the State could take ownership of the sites on which the one-of houses were built. A fair deal for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

What would the state do with all the sites of one off houses? They would be suitable for nothing else other than for new houses.

Why should they move into estates when they lived in the country all their lives.

Seen that you like the idea of moving people why not move everyone not working out of the cities and let the people working there buy up these council houses. Surely that is a better idea, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

In this case, the State had an option to recoup the money well into the future with a levy on concrete products or new builds if it wanted. So not comparable to other capital spend either.

We are paying for insurance levies from the 80s. And there's a banking levy in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ridiculous suggestion...but you are entitled to put it forward.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I am not forcing them, but if they need to be housed, it doesn't have to be in the house of their choice. After all, Margaret Cash et al have been hammered on here for wanting a four-bed semi with a garden big enough for a trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not equivalent. The mica affected have paid for their houses and will continue paying off their mortgage. They are not looking for anything free. They are looking for full compensation for being sold a defective product.

Comparing Margaret Cash to these families is laughable. like caulk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭jj880

Listening to this clip (the 2nd half especially) it sounds very likely Europe will have to step in to sort this properly and hold those responsible to account. The sooner the better.

Our government are not serious about compensating homeowners properly and not serious about holding those responsible to account. Fix houses now and recover every cent possible from all other avenues. They are looking for some half baked middle ground that is not acceptable to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

350k is serious. Anyone who thinks that is not a serious offer is not serious about getting a roof over their head .

Agree with that, more than generous, you could build a fine house in Donegal for that sort of money, but they know now that the government has no backbone so they will keep pushing for more.

Listen to the clip then comment. Dont cherry pick and put words in my mouth. They are going to use European legislation to make those responsible cough up AND get proper compensation for ALL homeowners. Should people still accept the current inferior offer on the table? Do you have a problem with Europe stepping in?

Europe aren't stepping in anywhere.

And 350k is a huge some to build.

It's night time people started working on moving on if the deal is as good as the figure touted.

Ok you do realise that the delegation that went to the European Commission during the week went to assess what case they have under EU legislation. Then what happens is if a case comes before judicial review in Ireland that proves IS 465 needs amending (i.e. doesn't follow EU legislation) then Europe will force Ireland to stop using IS 465 until they fix it. Precedent will be set. It happens more often than you obviously think it happens. Let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

…..Really looking forward to watching the rebuilding of some of these lovely country pile’s at our expense 🤣👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Surely they are looking for much more than that. In a self build situation the cost of the blocks would be very small relative to the total build cost. Someone said many of the houses were self builds.

An interesting point re demolition and rebuild is would the mortgage owner have to consent to the demolition? Would the State have to require the householder/bank consent to the mortgage being transferred to the new build in advance of its construction?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think the Government need to tread carefully here. There doesn't seem to be the widespread support amongst the wider public to shoulder taxpayers with an open bill running into billions of Euro. Some people are letting on there is massive public support for the campaigners. I don't see it myself. Just my own gut feeling after hearing a few friends, colleagues and family members mention it in passing over the last week - all wondering why the State is so eager to step in.

The Mica campaigners are running an effective campaign for sure, but that doesn't necessarily equate to public support all the same. There's obviously a regional dimension to the public opinion too.

Yeah none of that is going to sort your 100 percent redress though. EU are not stepping in to the breach to solve this . Delegations can go all they like tbf .

The negotiations are going to take place here. And lumping your lot in with folks with investment properties and or massive self builds that want the full value of the property back isn't going to resolve anything.

This thing will be dealt with case by case with a ceiling limit on cost.

• Advertisement

Class actions are allowed under EU legislation. Want to try again?

Edit: also its our government thats trying to make a kite flying distinction between primary residences and rentals. I suspect the EU will see a defective product has been purchased and treat it as such. It wont matter who has paid for it and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Piss or get off the pot!

I've already seen enough silly comments in this thread without having to read scaremongering posts of yours.

There are loads of semi-detached houses in estates and modest bungalows affected. Why do people in this thread constantly highlight the outliers? ...and why should someone who has poured their money into their dream home (big or small) have to suffer through a lack of government oversight? If 5,000 homes were destroyed by an earthquake in the north west of Ireland, you can be sure the government would sort it out. Why not this?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Many of the comments on here stink of "anti Donegal" stuff or jealousy. But just wait til this issue spreads around the country, it might not be as far away as you think. House size is irrelevant. People here have saved hard, and worked hard to build their homes. What size it is shouldn't matter, as they paid for, and many are still paying for it, in good faith.

I have travelled around various parts of this country, and you'd think Donegal was the only place with large houses. On my staycation this year around counties Meath, Louth and Kildare, I seen many houses that would dwarf the ones I see crumbling now. So its time the moaners got over the size of the house, and wanting people to move into a large estate with all the others, its not going to happen. You're just trolling and being vindictive.

People in this thread are not the ones highlighting the outliers.

"The report said that homeowners on the working group advised that the average size of home affected is 2,400sq.ft with "many homes" between 3,000-4,000sq.ft."

Yes, it was homeowners on the working group who drew attention to the McMansions. However, if you are right, then 350k is more than enough.

What the fúck is a McMansion anyway? What size constitutes a 'McMansion'?

What nickname is used for mansions in Kildare, Dublin, Wexford etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

I like the "government should think about recovering money later". That's not possible - stop pretending it is.

This is just a nonsense from those affected with mica to try to sell the taking on of all costs by the taxpayer with a "but you win this pig in a poke"

Remember that this scheme will likely run for somewhere between 10 and 20yrs, so the costs being bandied around will be spread over that timeframe, so it may be more palatable if spoke about as 200m per year rather than 3.25bn upfront.

Also, when the government put in 200m annually, or 3.25bn, think of how much of that will be recouped as tax on wages, VAT, building materials etc. A fairly hefty amount will be coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

If I bought a car and the engine blew I’d pursue the dealer/manufacturer…..not the state…..If my house was levelled in an earthquake,I’d go after my insurance company,not the people of Ireland……This “100%,no less” mantra reeks of entitlement.

If the state offered to help out I’d take it with both hands but wouldn’t be expecting to pony-up for the lot (including upgrades, refitted kitchens, upgraded insulation etc) and I certainly wouldn’t be setting up insta pages in anticipation of a state-sponsored windfall!

Advertisement