Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

It's a long standing Legal tactic. Sue the person with the biggest pockets and they will settle on the steps of the high court to get you to just **** off. That's why "Failure of Regulation" is used to drag in a County Council or in this case the state in so many compo claims. But in this case it seems that the population of Donegal have interpreted that legal advice as a free winning lottery ticket rather than as a way for a handful of genuine people to have their homes repaired.

Between this €3.2 billion estimate and the campaigners going on Morning Ireland yesterday rejecting out of hand a proposed offer of €350k each (plus limitless expenses to cover, rent/hotels, stress/medical bills, legal fees etc) I think the public are firmly turning against the Mica campaigners. Last night I was at football training and all the parents thought it was disgraceful that this amount of taxpayers money was being spent. They have pushed it too far. A month ago the government were the bad guys. Today public opinion is swinging firmly against these massive payouts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am not - I was answering a point made about IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

When your construction product is in compliance with the Construction Products Regulation, a Declaration of Performance has to be compiled. By drawing up the Declaration of Performance, the manufacturer takes responsibility for the conformity of the construction product and the declared performances.

Primary responsibility for demonstrating a construction product’s compliance with the requirements of the Construction Products Regulation rests with the manufacturer of the product.

A question to be asked is did the builder buy the blocks without seeing this Declaration of Performance cert? If the answer is yes, then it's not only the block maker who is responsible for the mess.

The government or the taxpayer are not responsible for redress in any way. Legally anyway.

Beggars belief that they are giving away €3.2 Billion of taxpayers money, nearly €800 for every man, woman and child in the country to address something that they are in no way liable for.

Very expensive votes. 😀

Post edited by 10000maniacs on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Because people wouldn't be in a position to rebuild without their own cash

So a lot would be frozen out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

We really need to be able to jail people for declaring that their product satisfies compliance standards when it doesn't, its not good enough that companies can be would up and re-opened with no consequences. If owners and CEO's had a chance of going to jail you would see far less of this.

In regards to the redress, my opinion and the opinion of anyone I've chatted to is they are pushing too hard for 100% redress.

Yes I have sympathy for them but this is going to cost the state billions that it doesn't have. I don't want to see anyone made homeless but an amount that will build a reasonably sized house is all that should be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

The Mica issue in the like of Donegal and Mayo is only the tip of the iceberg, expect plenty of more Priory Halls coming down the line, they are only waiting to see how all this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a point at which you balance what needs to be done with these houses versus the cost of doing so. I don't think pushing so aggressively for 100% redress does them any favours. With that new report it's now all about the massive headline figure and voters would certainly not be supportive of such a huge sum without some very stringent control over how the money is disbursed.

As I said earlier, I think there is probably a lot more road on this particular theme but the more I learn about it, the clearer it becomes that neither the government nor the public have all the necessary information. I don't believe any government can sign off on something like this without first understanding just how deep that pit is.  

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"The report said that homeowners on the working group advised that the average size of home affected is 2,400sq.ft with "many homes" between 3,000-4,000sq.ft."

Wow, the average size of home is twice the size of a four-bedroomed semi-d.

There is a real issue of equity at play here. We have thousands of people paying high rents who are not able to own their own modest 800 sq. ft. apartment, yet one group thinks that they should have a McMansion up to five times that size built for them free of charge.

€3.2 billion is only for those 6000 houses in Donegal and Mayo. If other counties start making Mica claims, €3.2 billion will look like loose change when the final bill is calculated.

Also, nobody has explained anywhere with any logic why it is presumed that the state is responsible for any of this.

• Advertisement

I won't have to, it's all coming down the track, I'm actually surprised more hasn't come to attention to date, but I suspect the people are waiting to see how this mica redress works out, and also keeping quiet so as not to devalue their property.

I heard Aodhan O Riordan on the Late Debate last night muttering something along the lines that people were coming to him with concerns, so maybe take it up with him if you don't believe me.

The Government wants to be very careful as to the way this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've made a statement with no basis or facts to back it up. So yeah technically you do have to. You made the comment after all

If the people living in them don't want to publicly say it can see why I should be bothered to.

But let's just say I worked in construction before the last crash so I have a good basis for my claims.

You are right. There is Verdemount in Blanchardstown where there was the fire a couple of years ago and concerns remain about the cost of remediating the problems with those apartments and there are real fears that there are many more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The building figures being touted are baffling me here: a 350k build cost is the kind of figure most of us are only used to seeing on Grand Designs or Building the Dream. Surely it should cost far, far lower than that to rebuild a 200sqm home when you're in a position to re-use the existing windows and doors, roof slates, kitchen and bathroom fixtures and fittings etc?

Going a step further, and avoiding the crazy increases in the cost of wood over the past few years, if you're re-building entirely like for like it should even be possible to do the demolition in a way that would allow you to re-use the existing roof structure, stud-walls, flooring joists (and hell even any carpeting or floating floors). I'm guessing the argument against this is that it would be cheaper to buy new than to pay for the labour and storage of the materials? With the price of wood, however, I think it'd be worth doing a cost-benefit analysis on that.

I'd wager that many, if not most, of the homes in question were self-builds and that the homeowners put a lot of their own time and effort into building them in the first place which they're now looking for any assistance scheme to pay someone else to do in the re-build: paying skilled labour rates for jobs that the average person would have no trouble with. With a bit of joined up thinking there could be some real opportunities here for tackling local unemployment (which if memory serves is very high in Donegal, about18% or so I think?) via the creation of additional apprenticeship schemes where the apprentices could serve their time in assisting with the re-building...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The house size/350k cap issue was raised on Prime Time last night, the mica group rep tried to deflect it by saying that the houses in Donegal were "slightly" above average size. Most of my sympathy for these people evaporated at this point.

They are out there alright, I'm just surprised they are not getting attention, but I suspect a lot are waiting to see how this mica compensation works out.

I suspect that if you gave the house owner the cheque for the cost that a builder would charge you to build it, say 350k. then you decided to build it yourself I would say an awful lot of stuff would be reused.

It's going to pandemonium in the building trade

Whatever they do don't balls it up again with more mica or pyrite or partial renovation

That would be a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Slightly above average size my arse, just take a drive around northern Donegal. Where did they ever get the cash to build the size of many of the gaffs?

The government would want to be careful here. Roll on a few months and we're back to lack of investment into affordable housing in parts of the country where there are chronic shortages and they will pay a very heavy price. Just think what this proposed €3 billion could achieve where it matters, instead of being splattered over the hills of Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't know where they get the money either, maybe they are in the building trade or else family members are and give them good rates. And they "might as well" build a huge house as a smaller one because "economies of scale" and so on.

A common scenario would be building a house on Daddy's land with the husband working in building and the wife working in the local hospital, school, council office etc. Or else husband and wife are both public servants and the husband is stalwart of the local GAA club too.

Many people in rural Ireland are both insecure and property obsessed, they need a 4000 square foot house as the neighbour's house is only 3500 sq feet. Meanwhile, both they and the neighbours are living paycheque to paycheque and can barely afford to heat their houses.

So many of these muck mansions about that if someone builds a 1500 sq foot one off house it almost looks out of place.

People seem to forget that you could build one of these mansions for the price of a 3-bed semi in a city a few years ago, it's all about location, location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You aren't comparing like for like. You can't compare an apartment in Dublin with a detached house in Donegal.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm fairly conflicted on this one.

If it happened to me, I'd like to think there'd be someone to help me out, rather than my life financially ruined. I don't for a second think the people are to blame for not checking their builders suppliers. Nor do I think the government are "accountable" as one poster kept saying. There's probably someone to blame for it, but realistically, it could have happened to anyone building a house.

But on the flip side, it's a hell of a lot of money, and as others say, that money could sort quite a bit of our housing crisis.

There's a offer on the table, both sides are negotiating at the moment. I'm sure they'll find some common ground. You need to cap the payout somewhere.

Land is cheap in Donegal which means people could afford to build a slightly bigger than average house.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Well, yes, I can compare. You may not like the comparison but I can compare.

You do realise that in other countries, there would be an offer of social housing, and pretty much nothing else. For the taxpayer, the better option may well be to build a few estates of three-bed semis in certain villages and offer them to those affected.

There are chronic housing shortages in Donegal currently. Would you rather another 5,000 families were left homeless?

Money for old rope with those guys.

I am writing a book.

A Thousand More Novel Ways to Screw Money from the Irish People.

Volume 2. (Post Celtic Tiger edition)

• Advertisement

...and what happens to all the estates full of mica houses? What happens to all the social houses that were built with mica blocks? What happens to all the one off houses crumbling in the countryside? Just let them fall?

A few estates? For 5,000 families? That's more than a few estates worth.

Advertisement