Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Big difference in taking a kid to a protest and having them hold signs portraying quotes of theirs about the situation, then taking a picture of that and spreading it all over social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Anyone here know in terms of 'pre cast' products - what is the difference between precast concrete tank formed in a mould etc and a standard precast or cavity concrete block produced likewise?? I smell a court case for discrimination. This is surely why Revenue interpreted the legislation to include all concrete products. Otherwise we're down to readymix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I watched the prime time show the other evening on Mica and pyrite.

From reading up further I’m amazed that it can take up to 20 years to show up which is a hell of a long time. Obviously the levels of mica and pyrite are huge in Mayo/Donegal but it can even be 10 years or more before it shows it’s face as it might only start in the foundations after many years in just one corner and slowly start attacking the rest of the house over time -I wonder will there be more instances coming to the surface literally in the coming years?

You could easily be the second home owner of that house before realising you have a problem- a nightmare avoided for one family and a nightmare started for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭jj880

Its only getting started. I live in North Donegal. Houses built in the 80s now cracking up due to defective concrete. Mica has been proven a red herring. Tests from petrolab uk showing the problem is mainly pyrite and pyrrhotite. Worst thing about it is the government is doing their best to divide and conquer with headlines giving the impression every defective block home owner just rings up the council and gets a cheque for 420k. The truth is the amount is on a scale depending on square footage. 420k is the maximum. People are having to abandon their houses mid build as they aren't getting anywhere near what they need to rebuild after demolition, disposal, removing and replacing foundations, rental, storage and professional fees are taken out of the grant. Then you have people saying homeowners should be grateful for any help at all. A grant scheme is useless if the vast majority cant top up the grant to finish the rebuild. Its not a redress sheme. Its a government grant. Homeowners are trying to make the point that they aren't looking for a handout. They want restoration to what they've already paid for. Then you have the idea of chasing quarries for the money. Looking at their insurance. Of course this should happen. Every avenue should be explored to protect taxpayer funds. Darragh O'Brien has said he would look into this. Nothing further since except now a concrete levy. More divide and conquer tactics. This is a complete failure of government regulation and accountability. Not 1 prosecution due to defective concrete. Still no proper regulation in quarries to this day. Its insanity all round.

I wont be replying to posts directed to me after this. The usual suspects who've been banned from the Donegal forum will no doubt be piling in here testifying like rabid dogs soon enough.

It is indeed insane how the whole matter has developed. The most sensible proposal I've heard to get out of this mess lies in https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118317170/#Comment_118317170

That or a 'Fair Deal' type scheme where the value is recovered to the state on the death of the original homeowners.

• Advertisement

Wow- 1980s- jayzuz that’s bad - I’m actually seriously considering selling my own and moving (East of the country) as not convinced it will last - just gut feeling but unfortunately property market not where’ I want it- hopefully next 5-8 years will be kind and house will remain ok in meantime but don’t want to stay here long term - best of luck I feel for all of you- can’t be easy and lack of govt support no less legal redress is disgraceful

It’s not a bad idea at all to be honest - the programme last night or this week highlighted that digging out the foundations was 1000s more- so they could demolish all the houses short term and maybe sell the sites medium term but with the proviso new owner digs out foundations themselves and council signs off - (ha ha where did we hear that before😀)

but yeah, a very practical solution - from the programme last night these people need:

1. A forever home
    2. security of finances and an end to ongoing bills
    3. certainty

that idea, yes it has its issues but it’s not unrealistic and it could well be oversubscribed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The one issue never addressed is building capacity - there simply isnt enough for all the properties suffering from defective blocks. Especially since each house is different and needs rebuilt different, takes far longer than building a load of brand new houses would

There would be building capacity if the state develops housing estates and those qualifying can choose to move in there and have their defective house demolished. Or alternatively staying where they are and funding their own remediation. People could then decide on the basis of their individual cases.

Advertisement