Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter fine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

kirving wrote: »
    "Before" what time?

If you could tell me what time on Tuesday the bin truck will call around, I'll arrange some time off work so I can drive home and stand there and guard the bin in case they're late.

I know people tend to be righteous on Boards, but that's another level entirely.

95% of people put the bins out the night before, and shouldn't be targeted because someone thought it was a laugh to kick a box down the road. You know, common sense.

No its not, this country is blighted with litter, from selfish morons who cant be arsed to do the bare minimum, and dispose of their own rubbish.
    Its simply not a case of pegging it out into the street the night before and hope it gets taken and then wonder 20 years on what they could have done or be expected to do, its your rubbish, sort it out.

The collection service I have, has it listed to put out at the side of the road before or by a certain time that morning, I just have it ready to go and wheel it out that morning
    I couldnt possibly know what your collection service wants, you should look it up yourself, you cant even manage that!

I wedge the bin up against the kerb so it doesnt get blown over as easily.

There are ways in which waste collection could make it easier/better, but most people are going to be lazy/selfish about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

One of the bin companies here regularly comes by at 7am on a Saturday morning. Don't think there are too many who want to have to get up at 6.45am every Saturday to put out the bins.

tscul32 wrote: »
    One of the bin companies here regularly comes by at 7am on a Saturday morning. Don't think there are too many who want to have to get up at 6.45am every Saturday to put out the bins.

Well I have no clue who that bin service is?? I dont know what is in their T&Cs?
    I dont think a saturday is a great day for bin collections, maybe everyone could sign up for another service provider so they dont have to get up on Sat mornings.

If they dont like it, they could, not sign up for that service, if no alternative, its a small price to pay,

There is a good episode on the Simpsons, I thought it was a bit of a joke and a poor episode, but in reality, it seems it was highlighting just how lazy and selfish some/many people are willing to be about their waste/rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

1874 wrote: »
    No its not, this country is blighted with litter, from selfish morons who cant be arsed to do the bare minimum, and dispose of their own rubbish.
    Its simply not a case of pegging it out into the street the night before and hope it gets taken and then wonder 20 years on what they could have done or be expected to do, its your rubbish, sort it out.

The collection service I have, has it listed to put out at the side of the road before or by a certain time that morning, I just have it ready to go and wheel it out that morning
    I couldnt possibly know what your collection service wants, you should look it up yourself, you cant even manage that!

I wedge the bin up against the kerb so it doesnt get blown over as easily.

There are ways in which waste collection could make it easier/better, but most people are going to be lazy/selfish about it.

You put your bin in the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This is probably neither here nor there in respect of the OP's post, but I remember once getting a littering fine myself while I lived in Dublin some 20 years ago.

It was in respect of a large cardboard box that had my name and address on a label attached. I'd put it out late one night for collection early the following morning, same as I always did with my rubbish/recycling at the time.

It was gone the next morning all right, but about two weeks later I received a fine, stating it had been found a couple of streets away. I've always presumed it was moved by some drunken eejits on their way home, who maybe played games with it along the way, or something.

I appealed the fine at the time by setting out in writing the circumstances of what had happened. The appeal was denied on the grounds that I was still responsible for it until time of actual collection. I then reluctantly paid the fine.

I still don't know what they actually expected me to do. It seems I'd be supposed to either stand guard over it all night, or else get up around 5 a.m. to put stuff out just as the collection lorry was arriving.

As I say, probably neither here nor there in respect of the OP, but could be one explanation why the mother is reluctant to pay the fine, if something similar happened to her.

You’re supposed to break it up and put it in the recycling bin or else take it to a being centre. Or, more simply, realise that removing your address label from it would hve meant you would not have received a fine!

• Advertisement

You put your bin in the road?

In the road, no? at the side of the road, yes, thats where they ask for it to be left, and for the most part that's where people leave them.
    Why? possibly to prevent bins tipping over? I don't know, most likely it makes it easier for them to collect and place on the truck for emptying.

In the road, no? at the side of the road, yes, thats where they ask for it to be left, and for the most part that's where people leave them.
    Why? possibly to prevent bins tipping over? I don't know, most likely it makes it easier for them to collect and place on the truck for emptying.

So on the pavement so. I’m not sure I follow how you wedge it up against the curb as the curb is the same level as the pavement.

So on the pavement so. I’m not sure I follow how you wedge it up against the curb as the curb is the same level as the pavement.

Its pretty clear, anyway, why is it relevant? I pay to dispose of my rubbish, I makes sure it doesn't get strewn all over the neighbourhood,
    I follow the conditions of the service provider, I have something of a legacy account with them, although they keep edging up the charges, I found if you are sensible about it, you rarely have to put a bin out, 1 grey bin a month-6weeks, 1 green bin every 2 months, if you rinse and squash item, the bin wont cause odours, compost as much as possible then what ever is left over is in the brown bin. It requires a bit, but I consider minimal effort.
    The state of anywhere in this country you care to look, rubbish/litter strewn everywhere, Id say its an embarrassment and down to laziness/selfishness. Glad to see some Council somewhere is giving out fines, its a fraction of whats going on.

Some of the worst I saw, was someone firing rubbish and by the look of it some nappies out a car window, while crossing a canal.
    Another person emptying a load of cigarette butts and a host of other rubbish as they waited on their takeaway,
    I dont really understand when I see people just throw rubbish/wrappers/whatever away as they walk along??? beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well I have no clue who that bin service is?? I dont know what is in their T&Cs?
    I dont think a saturday is a great day for bin collections, maybe everyone could sign up for another service provider so they dont have to get up on Sat mornings.

If they dont like it, they could, not sign up for that service, if no alternative, its a small price to pay,

There is a good episode on the Simpsons, I thought it was a bit of a joke and a poor episode, but in reality, it seems it was highlighting just how lazy and selfish some/many people are willing to be about their waste/rubbish.

"They let me sign cheques with a stamp Marge...WITH A STAMP"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

its your rubbish, sort it out.

The collection service I have, has it listed to put out at the side of the road before or by a certain time that morning, I just have it ready to go and wheel it out that morning....

By your own logic, if you leave the bin out at 9am as requested by the company, and the truck comes at 9.30, then me kicking your bin over for the laugh at 9.15 is your fault.

It's your rubbish. You should be looking after it.

Can you see how your logic means that the only solution to this problem is to stand guard by the bin until the truck arrives.

• Advertisement

Its pretty clear, anyway, why is it relevant? I pay to dispose of my rubbish, I makes sure it doesn't get strewn all over the neighbourhood,
    I follow the conditions of the service provider, I have something of a legacy account with them, although they keep edging up the charges, I found if you are sensible about it, you rarely have to put a bin out, 1 grey bin a month-6weeks, 1 green bin every 2 months, if you rinse and squash item, the bin wont cause odours, compost as much as possible then what ever is left over is in the brown bin. It requires a bit, but I consider minimal effort.
    The state of anywhere in this country you care to look, rubbish/litter strewn everywhere, Id say its an embarrassment and down to laziness/selfishness. Glad to see some Council somewhere is giving out fines, its a fraction of whats going on.

Some of the worst I saw, was someone firing rubbish and by the look of it some nappies out a car window, while crossing a canal.
    Another person emptying a load of cigarette butts and a host of other rubbish as they waited on their takeaway,
    I dont really understand when I see people just throw rubbish/wrappers/whatever away as they walk along??? beggars belief.

Jaysus ok buddie, I was only asking a question, no need to get so wrecked about it.

It obviously isn’t clear how you’d wedge a bin against a curb unless your curbs are higher than your pavement. Which they’re not.

But forget it, I can’t bear the stress I’m putting you under.

Jaysus ok buddie, I was only asking a question, no need to get so wrecked about it.

It obviously isn’t clear how you’d wedge a bin against a curb unless your curbs are higher than your pavement. Which they’re not.

But forget it, I can’t bear the stress I’m putting you under.

wtf? Im not stressed, sound like you are.
    I just think its fairly despicable that grown adults think its ok to litter, shure someone else will clean it up mentality, it is widespread in this Country.
    Good to hear some fines are being handed out, tip of the iceberg though.

wtf? Im not stressed, sound like you are.
    I just think its fairly despicable that grown adults think its ok to litter, shure someone else will clean it up mentality, it is widespread in this Country.
    Good to hear some fines are being handed out, tip of the iceberg though.

Ok buddie. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

?? beggars belief, yep, you are not meant to leave stuff out all night, so its only meant to be out from before when they are collecting it.
    The bye-laws in Dublin City say that residents can leave out their bin from 5pm the previous day. I imagine other bye-laws are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Victor wrote: »
    The bye-laws in Dublin City say that residents can leave out their bin from 5pm the previous day. I imagine other bye-laws are similar.

I checked and my council bye law says 8pm, although I read somewhere in T&Cs by my service provider, no earlier than a certain time on the day. Someone seemed up in arms about it, the bye law also refers to kerbside collection.
    A lot of people do put their bins out the night before, which shouldnt be a problem unless there is weather thats likely to blow bins over. It would be useful if bins were all a standard design and had a basic latch mechanism that was operated when the bin was lifted, to open the lid, so if bins get blown over they dont spill their contents.
    Anyway, this thread was about paying fines, either for blatant or negligent littering, not bins.

I checked and my council bye law says 8pm, although I read somewhere in T&Cs by my service provider, no earlier than a certain time on the day. Someone seemed up in arms about it, the bye law also refers to kerbside collection.
    A lot of people do put their bins out the night before, which shouldnt be a problem unless there is weather thats likely to blow bins over. It would be useful if bins were all a standard design and had a basic latch mechanism that was operated when the bin was lifted, to open the lid, so if bins get blown over they dont spill their contents.
    Anyway, this thread was about paying fines, either for blatant or negligent littering, not bins.

Gotta wonder why you brought up bins then. Yer man mentioned a cardboard box and you went into one about bins and curbs and wind and not overnight etc etc. LOL.

Gotta wonder why you brought up bins then. Yer man mentioned a cardboard box and you went into one about bins and curbs and wind and not overnight etc etc. LOL.

I thought you said goodluck! I didnt bother responding to that,
    what that chap did sounded essentially like littering,
    littering is basically ignorant and stupid, because people that do it, mostly do it where they live and it is easily avoidable, and relatively cheap to do right.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Our case is sumthing very similar too this.im not going into the full details here but it was a simple mistake made by my mother.3 phone calls later too the litter warden- he had to bee seen too do sumthing.

My only concern is there was 3 letters with 3 different names in the bag,does all 3 people get fined or is it just 1 €150 fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

They will all get a letter from the council.

• Advertisement

But once 1 person pays the fine that should be the end of it ? The fine is not €450 it's €150,so since the fine is paid surely that's the end of it.

But once 1 person pays the fine that should be the end of it ? The fine is not €450 it's €150,so since the fine is paid surely that's the end of it.

Not the case.

Not the case.

Please explain what you mean

Say I as a council litter warden find a box with 3 letters inside for different people, how do I know who is responsible? 3 letters would be sent as the perpetrator is not known. Standard practice.

Say I as a council litter warden find a box with 3 letters inside for different people, how do I know who is responsible? 3 letters would be sent as the perpetrator is not known. Standard practice.

So the fine would be paid 3 times ?
    The fine is €150,so once 1 person pays the fine would the other 2 still be chased too pay the fine too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

So the fine would be paid 3 times ?
    The fine is €150,so once 1 person pays the fine would the other 2 still be chased too pay the fine too ?
    Your Mother is responsible for making sure that letters addressed to her don't end up as litter. The other two individuals are equally responsible for making sure that letters addressed to them don't end up as litter.
    It appears that there were three identifiable people responsible for the littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

brian_t wrote: »
    Your Mother is responsible for making sure that letters addressed to her don't end up as litter. The other two individuals are equally responsible for making sure that letters addressed to them don't end up as litter.
    It appears that there were three identifiable people responsible for the littering.

Or as the case may be, fly tipping by three different people in the same spot.

some council estates Whose residents I know collectively organise vans to take bags of rubbish routinely and feck them out the sidedoor going down country lanes . disgusting behaviour. Won’t pay for their bins to be collected thou - or be arsed taking it to recycle which is free. Every piece of litter found that had a name or postcode or delivery barcode than be scanned and traced gets a per item fine. Personally I’m very happy with that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

brian_t wrote: »

Just on this. A letter I was sent was mistakenly delivered to a house 4 doors down. They had rubbish out their front but I was fined as my name and address were on a letter found in their yard

I contacted the council and showed a record of my bin collections to show it was collected every week (including the weight so show it wasn’t full every week) and argued that I had no reason to litter

I got a letter back to say they had rescinded the fine

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Just on this. A letter I was sent was mistakenly delivered to a house 4 doors down. They had rubbish out their front but I was fined as my name and address were on a letter found in their yard

I contacted the council and showed a record of my bin collections to show it was collected every week (including the weight so show it wasn’t full every week) and argued that I had no reason to litter

I got a letter back to say they had rescinded the fine

Look, I cant categorically state this didn't happen, but it started out sounding like a hypothetical example until the last line,

You say you got a fine for a letter in your name delivered to your neighbour, who must have known this (and didnt pass it on to you, ok possible) but then managed to leave it in their own yard (I wouldnt say necessarily a usual way to describe a part of a garden in an estate or group of houses), and then you got fined for littering in their garden/property/yard?? How/why would a littering fine be issued for 1 letter found on private property? I don't think the Councils have that much time on their hands or your neighbours to deal with one letter.

I'm calling bull$hit here, I don't think this happened you as described, I can see where it might happen.
    I see people who put bins out regularily, with lids up because they are overfilled, quite possible for them to be having their rubbish blown down the road.
    If you really had a fine rescinded, it's likely as you have a record of paying for rubbish removal and the council probably accepts one item just got out of your bin, but one item on private property :cool:
    It would be different if along with that one letter there was a pile of other rubbish in their property plus something that identified you or you were routinely letting your bins overfill and stuff blowing down towards your neighbours, maybe they then made a complaint because whoever was doing that was identified, its possible they dont like you anyway, given they wouldnt return one letter to you with your name on it, but if it was along with other rubbish waste and there was a history of that (whether it came from your bin or not) then I might understand why this came about as a real scenario and see why they might not be happy, I think there is more to this than you are saying or worse, realise.

Advertisement