Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Litter fine

13»

Comments




  • some council estates Whose residents I know collectively organise vans to take bags of rubbish routinely and feck them out the sidedoor going down country lanes . disgusting behaviour.
    This didn't happen.




  • 1874 wrote: »

    You say you got a fine for a letter in your name delivered to your neighbour, who must have known this (and didnt pass it on to you, ok possible) but then managed to leave it in their own yard (I wouldnt say necessarily a usual way to describe a part of a garden in an estate or group of houses), and then you got fined for littering in their garden/property/yard?? How/why would a littering fine be issued for 1 letter found on private property? I don't think the Councils have that much time on their hands or your neighbours to deal with one letter.
    It wasn’t one letter. It was quite a bit of rubbish left in bags which included one letter with my address on it. I have no idea why the family that lives there didn’t deliver the letter but the fact they let so much crap outside their front door tells me they weren’t the most considerate types.

    The council warden’s argument was that I was dumping all this rubbish in their front yard. They had checked the garden because their next door neighbour had complained about them. I don’t know if others were fined. I just know I was because one back of rubbish had a letter with my name and address on it.

    I'm calling bull$hit here
    You can do what you like. I was just posting to show that sometimes fines aren’t warranted and thankfully the council agreed with me and rescinded my fine




  • This didn't happen.

    I wouldnt put it past some people, I have seen clearly where rubbish could only have been fired out the door of a van on numerous occasions, I even saw someone fire stuff into a canal from a moving vehicle, most managed to go in the canal, some hit the wall and went back on the path, so it does happen, I've seen it myself.
    Dodge wrote: »
    It wasn’t one letter. It was quite a bit of rubbish left in bags which included one letter with my address on it. I have no idea why the family that lives there didn’t deliver the letter but the fact they let so much crap outside their front door tells me they weren’t the most considerate types.

    The council warden’s argument was that I was dumping all this rubbish in their front yard. They had checked the garden because their next door neighbour had complained about them. I don’t know if others were fined. I just know I was because one back of rubbish had a letter with my name and address on it.


    You can do what you like. I was just posting to show that sometimes fines aren’t warranted and thankfully the council agreed with me and rescinded my fine


    Well, thats different to what you described, and adds some detail that helps explain your earlier story. In that case maybe your letter got delivered to someone else completely ie another neighbour who subsequently dumped their rubbish in the garden of the neighbour that found it, the family that found the rubbish probably either never searched it and reported it where the council found the letter, OR they did search it and thought the cheek of that cnut DODGE at no. X, not realising it was not your doing, but thought so and reported you for it.


    So they probably didnt deliver it to you and neither might I, thinking (incorrectly) that you were a selfish cnut for littering in their garden.


    For the most part, I think people who litter can be lazy, too lazy to even remove identifying items like bills, I found stuff twice with names on it as we had a spate of dumping domestic rubbish at one point. Both instances clearly identified who and where they were from, one definitely had to be done by the person that entailed driving from a nearby estate and dumping their rubbish, I reported that and the council didnt seem interested, the next identifiable instance where we had rubbish dumped near us semi regularily. I took pictures, knocked on the persons door and informed them that they had some rubbish left near us that identified them multiple times, they looked stunned, more that they were caught, I suggested to them that it might appear they were littering and nicely said it might be a good idea if they cleaned it up, which they did, didnt waste my time with the council.
    I have just had too many instances where I had to dispose of bags of other people's rubbish they just dumped, someone clearly thought myself and another neighbour were going to pay to dispose of it for them.




  • 1874 wrote: »
    I wouldnt put it past some people, I have seen clearly where rubbish could only have been fired out the door of a van on numerous occasions, I even saw someone fire stuff into a canal from a moving vehicle, most managed to go in the canal, some hit the wall and went back on the path, so it does happen, I've seen it myself.
    Fly tipping happens.
    residents I know collectively organise vans to take bags of rubbish routinely and

    This doesn't happen, and if it was, it could easily be stopped with one or two phone calls.




  • Fly tipping happens.



    This doesn't happen, and if it was, it could easily be stopped with one or two phone calls.



    Fly tipping happens, but then it doesnt?
    Which is it?


    how is this sorted with a few phonecalls?


    If you are omnipresent to know,why dont you just stop it in the first place?


  • Advertisement


  • 1874 wrote: »
    Fly tipping happens, but then it doesnt?
    Which is it?


    how is this sorted with a few phonecalls?


    If you are omnipresent to know,why dont you just stop it in the first place?

    Flytipping happens.

    Flytipping organised collectively and routinely by a group of residents doesn't happen.

    I can't stop it happening because I don't know where/when it is happening.

    If you or the other poster knows where/when it is happening, a couple of phone calls to the local litter warden will get it sorted.

    If you don't know where/when it is happening, then it's not happening.




  • This didn't happen.

    What are you saying didn't happen?




  • What are you saying didn't happen?

    Flytipping organised collectively and routinely by a group of residents doesn't happen.




  • Flytipping happens.

    Flytipping organised collectively and routinely by a group of residents doesn't happen.

    I can't stop it happening because I don't know where/when it is happening.

    If you or the other poster knows where/when it is happening, a couple of phone calls to the local litter warden will get it sorted.

    If you don't know where/when it is happening, then it's not happening.


    The only part I agree with there is that it might be by residents who know each other, maybe.
    As I havent seen anyone organising that or not, I cant say either way.


    I have seen people unloading a van load of mattresses and other junk down a backroad, and Ive seen the outcome of that when I didnt witness it firsthand, so I think fly tipping is organised by some people who take advantage of other peoples selfishness.
    By not paying for their rubbish to be removed, and paying unlicensed persons to remove it ends up with the stuff in hedges, which I think likely costs even more to remove.


    I think we do waste collection wrong here, compared to the UK where it is incorporated into their council tax, we pay property tax and it just goes into the pot, it is not even for waste collection services or any services. While I understand what we pay is significantly less, at least their council type tax appears ringfenced for a specific purpose and is likely to be representative of costs in that area.


    In the UK from what I have gathered (information) most people pay taht and have access to some service or shared system. There is less if any incentive to dispose of domestic waste by fly tipping because the services are paid for, and it is even free to drop off waste in collection centres who also have a wider range of services.
    If someone doesnt pay they still have to use some service, however challenging it is to follow that up, it is significantly easier to track that and them down and deal with it that way, than trying to locate where they fly tipped their rubbish.




  • This didn't happen.

    This Happens. Ballymun. Still going on. Newly built council estate with ‘old’ residents. Disgusting.

    The councils array of cameras installed ‘don’t work’ and they are too busy worrying about the drug dealing and machine gun toting and hand grenade throwing other residents to do anything about it.


  • Advertisement


  • Dodge wrote: »
    It wasn’t one letter. It was quite a bit of rubbish left in bags which included one letter with my address on it. I have no idea why the family that lives there didn’t deliver the letter but the fact they let so much crap outside their front door tells me they weren’t the most considerate types.

    The council warden’s argument was that I was dumping all this rubbish in their front yard. They had checked the garden because their next door neighbour had complained about them. I don’t know if others were fined. I just know I was because one back of rubbish had a letter with my name and address on it.


    You can do what you like. I was just posting to show that sometimes fines aren’t warranted and thankfully the council agreed with me and rescinded my fine

    I’d just be wondering how a normal family (yours) can generate enough waste to warrant putting out a half full 240 liter bin EVERY week. I put my black bin out about twice or max 3 times a year. Full. The green bin goes out every month or so.




  • I’d just be wondering how a normal family (yours) can generate enough waste to warrant putting out a half full 240 liter bin EVERY week. I put my black bin out about twice or max 3 times a year. Full. The green bin goes out every month or so.

    Sorry I posted now but we put out a bin each week. One week it’s black, the next week it’s green. No one said they were half full

    You’ve no need to worry about how we generate that waste…




  • 1874 wrote: »
    ?? beggars belief, yep, you are not meant to leave stuff out all night, so its only meant to be out from before when they are collecting it.
    I guess thats either to stop drunken eejits as you think stealing your rubbish or kicking it around, or as likely to stop the wind picking it up and taking it away.

    I had wheelie bins 20+ years ago, Im fairly sure we had even green bins, so either you put out excess stuff or just carted it out there and left it.
    I still see people leaving out rubbish beside the bins, extra recycling in bags on the recycle collection day and general rubbish on the black/grey bin day in bags beside the bin, not supposed to be done, invariably if there is a bit of wind it just gets blown all over the place.
    Your fine was justified, if the OPs was anything similar, same.
    Cant fathom how you still dont get it??

    I honestly didn't foresee that my contribution here would kick-start such discussion. I see there's been several posts in response, but I'm replying only to this one as it was the first actual reply.

    I obviously don't know what part of the city you lived in 20+ years ago, but there were no wheelie bins where I lived at the time c. 2000/2001. I don't mind telling you it was a ground-floor apartment at Mountjoy Square, with its own entrance that wasn't shared with any other flat or apartment.

    The routine for myself and other occupants of other buildings (whether they were residential or commercial) was to leave the waste out in black refuse sacks or similar containers, the night before they were due to be collected. Larger items, which wouldn't fit into black sacks or similar, could be left out separately. For what it's worth, collection generally took place sometime between 5 and 6 a.m. the following morning.

    The box in question was approx. 6' x 4' x 2' (it was the packaging for a piece of furniture that I still have). I flattened it down and folded it up as best I could, and left it wedged between a black sack and the railings in front of my door, just as I'd done with several other items in the past, and just as you'd see at several other premises along there every week.

    For those suggesting I should have removed the label - perhaps. But I honestly didn't see the need since I was simply leaving the box out in the usual way for proper collection.

    Anyway, I can say no more. I didn't think it would become necessary to set out such full circumstances of the incident.

    Finally, I trust that all the self-righteous who have criticised and/or lectured me set an alarm themselves for maybe 10 minutes before their waste is to be picked up on collection day, and only then put it out, and probably wait to see the binmen in action too, just to make sure it's picked up properly.

    Because anything less than that would mean they're doing the same thing now that I did back then.




  • Anyway, just to add....

    I'm currently with Greenstar for waste collection. Their Collection Calendar schedules for all routes they operate in the country are here: https://www.greenstar.ie/collectioncalendars/

    Choose any one of them and you'll find the following line at the bottom left corner of the PDF:
    Please ensure to put your bins out from the night before your scheduled collection as collection times may vary.

    Meanwhile, here's a passage from the customer service section of the AES waste collection service operated by Bord na Móna (see https://www.aesirl.ie/home/help-centre/collection-and-bin-queries/):
    I put my bin out late and the driver has already passed. Is there a driver in my area?
    It is important to ensure your bin is left out the night before collection. If you left your bin out late and it was not collected, please fill out the following form


    The people who insist that waste shouldn't be out put out until just minutes before collection might like to contact these companies with their concerns. ;)

    And finally, a story from 2013 about new rules meaning bins in Dublin were not to be let out before 6 p.m. the day before the collection. Which means that in 2000/01 (the time of my own incident), it was okay to leave them out even before that....never mind at 10 p.m. or 11 p.m., which is the time I used to put the waste out myself:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-waste-laws-973518Jul2013/#:~:text=Rubbish%20can't%20be%20put,to%209pm%20in%20residential%20areas.




  • This Happens. Ballymun. Still going on. Newly built council estate with ‘old’ residents. Disgusting.

    The councils array of cameras installed ‘don’t work’ and they are too busy worrying about the drug dealing and machine gun toting and hand grenade throwing other residents to do anything about it.

    Why haven't you reported it?

    Tell me where and when it is happening, and I'll report it if you won't.


Advertisement