Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I have a feeling we will be playing Tipp in the semi final. I think they will beat either cork or Waterford next week. I feel we have improved from last year and our second half collapse to both Dublin and Waterford is not going to happen this year. I think we have a great chance against Cork or Waterford but tipp under sheedy will be hard bet in croke park and they will fancy their chances. I know I'm jumping the gun and they have to win next week but I Can't see us beating them unless we can run the legs off them like limerick in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭brookville

I think its hard to gauge where we are really at.Every game is different and takes on a life of its own.Waterford very poor last week and could of lost to laois but were very good against galway.The one thing I do know Is we are on the opposite side to Limerick and alot of other teams would glady take our position.We look to have a better panel than last year and our subs have being very effective but it's from here on in where it gets serious.Its amazing now that 7-10 points of a lead isn't that huge anymore and can be wiped out if a team gathers momentum and get a run on the opposition.

We have to be concerned about our midfield and we badly need to get this sorted for the semi final.Im suprised we haven't tried maher here but adrian mullen will probably stay out here for the next day.

Conor delaney and mikey carey will probably push hard for spots in defence.Some of our forwards are a bit inconsistent we really need Billy Ryan,mossy and donnelly more consistent.Bergin and Alan Murphy have done very well when the game opens up.

Does anyone know how the development squads done over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

They won celtic competition saw trophy pic on twitter.

Richie leahy got bad cut over the weekend so could be a doubt.

Delaney could be replacement for browne(hamstring bad)as is said to be going well.

Richie hogan possibly new midfield pairing

And donnelly still really struggling with hay-fever needs rain badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

U17s scored around 6 goals in the first half and beat a Kildare team handy enough.

U16 As and B were getting well beaten by Galway at half time but there was a breeze so might have got back into it.

Don't know about U15s

Re: above. Richie Hogan at midfield would be madness surely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Think we are in for a cracking end to the Championship.

Limerick obviously look the team to beat but I think Cork, Waterford and ourselves have real momentum now too

You have to wonder whether Tipp's heart is in it from here?

They will feel they can beat anyone left bar Limerick, but do they want another day of misery at their hands in an AI final?

I have maintained for 2 years that Tipp's late surge versus Wexford might never have been summoned if Limerick were waiting in final instead of Kilkenny (who they rightfully felt they could beat), so for me, a golden chance awaits Waterford on Saturday.

Are people getting a bit carried away with Cork? Clare shot 18 wides and almost won with last puck.

Hope Dubs havea full compliment and give them plenty.

I think it's going to be us and Cork and Limerick v Waterford

Cusack and Derek Mc Grath getting a bit too giddy on "Munster dominance" last night, that sort of aul crap has a habit of biting you on the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Panellist I was talking to said he was "unhurlable " out there last week

Murphy

Walsh lawlor degen

Delaney walsh maher

Hogan Mullen

Donnelly mossy Murphy

Bergin tj coady

Maybe

btw

We won the National League on Saturday!

😀

I think most of us expect to see changes the next day but it would be a big call to throw delaney and especially Hogan into a all Ireland semi final with very little hurling done

Point of note is we were in this Exact position last year and made changes before playing Waterford and when we called for the bench it didn't work.I think Murphy and bergin are better coming on when things loosen up.I think we have learnt from last years callopse and our panel is getting stronger but we won't know for sure until we're in the white heat of battle.

Did we not have to play galway to win the league final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭therealdonster

I thought that we shared this years league with Galway as we didn't end up playing each other?

I think Murphy is better when things loosen up but I also think Bergin has nearly earned his chance at this stage. Maybe Billy will be better coming off the bench the next day when his pace could cause problems for tiring defences. Either way its apparent you have to have something in reserve for later on in games.

I'd also be surprised to see Delaney and Hogan start the next day. You have to remember with no club games that neither has played a proper game since the AI semi final 7 months ago. If Browne is out the next day then.id expect Carey to start as he was excellent when introduced against Dublin.

As we cannot now play Galway, we are joint winners with them of the 2021 National League.

This win now means we have pulled level with Tipp at top of Roll of Honour on 19 wins each.

It was 17-9 to Tipp when Cody took over

We have won more leagues under Cody than we had won in total up till 1999.

Astonishing

I'd love it to be true but a massive ask to throw him in midfield at this stage of his career. I'd prefer him as a closer off the bench myself but if he's up to it then let him loose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Rosita

A League title for beating Laois, Antrim, Dublin and Wexford. Won't get that too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think it would be a huge call to put Richie Hogan in midfield at this stage of his career and with his back issues. He has the calmness and vision to do very well there but the madness and swarm of players in there I don't think will bring out the best in Richie. Personally if he's fit enough I'd have him at wing forward. He can go back and do some of that work but can also drift into space and be picked out and no better lad to lash it over the bar. Saying all that i still don't see him starting. I would say he'll be on the bench and will see 20 odd minutes if in that good of form.

Delaney is probably a more likely option, heard he has been going well in training too. Still as other pointed out Mikey Carey has done his chances no harm and to be honest a lot could depend on the opposition we get after next weekend. I'd be a bit worried about Carey on some of the Tipp forwards where I think he'd be able for the running of the Waterford or Cork lads. We also have Darren Mullen and Joey as options too but the fact they haven't been given a run up to now doesn't bode well for eithers chances of starting. I think Darren still has a bit of an issue with his original injury that side lined him during the league, he can play if needed but would be a risk or would have been the last day. Hopefully he's recovered and is pushing hard for a spot. I think we'll see James Maher in there again on the other wing. I don't think James is the best defender in the game but his man will rarely get away from him and get too man clear shots off. I'd like to see him being a bit more dominant before the ball arrives but that will only come with time. We have plenty of pace in our back 6 and will need all of it against the teams that we will face. I think we're still susceptible down the middle when run at but a lot of this comes from the midfield and half forward not helping out deep enough at times. I think we need to keep the goals conceded to 1 if we're to get through the semi.

Tipp will love to play us as they have full belief they can beat us as they want. Cork seem to be getting a bit tougher but I think when the heat comes on they'll struggle again but they're coming hard and will take a lot of beating in a few years. Waterford have huge energy and we would have plenty of reasons to want revenge for last year and I don't think they would do the same thing again to us as I hope or defence would be ready for it. If Dublin get through we can't face them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know if the Minor game is showing/streaming anywhere tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

TG4s coverage of games over the last number of weeks has been sensational.

• Advertisement

Its been terrifc to watch so many matches but the commenatry on tonight's U20 Leinster final was awful. Commentator roaring his lungs out for Galway, in raptures at every score, even the routine ones. Cringe stuff.

Galway were too strong (literally) for Dubs. Game in melting pot up till last 10 mins but Galway backs cleaned Dublin forwards out of it from there. This has been a feature for me of all recent Galway undeerage wins, backs are savage and dont give you a sniff when it really matters in closing stages. That's an impressive habit.

Galway marquee forwards Mc Donagh and O' Se wer poor and shot a litany of wides. I'd be worried about Mc Donagh's temprement, got himself sent off late on and does seem fond of getting stuck in to every confronattion and complains a lot.

Dublin were ok but same old failing, no threat in the inside forward line, cant remember a single decent goal chance they fashioned all night,

I think Galway are beatable and if it's Limerick, that would be remrakable, because Galway (and Kilkenny) were 15 points better teams than them at Minor, proving that whatever Limerick are doing at 17-20 age group is serious.

Looking forward to Minor tomorrow.

I'd agree on the commentary - it's always very biased towards Gslway teams on TG4. Might be something to do with the fact that the station is based there....Otherwise you couldnt fault their coverage.

I'd also agree on Gslway not being all that - I have a feeling that O'Shea and McDonagh could struggle down the road at senior level. Neither is the biggest and size seems to matter a lot in the modern game. I think they are having slightly similar issues to us with developing players beyond the minor grade - albeit they are failing better than us if you catch me.

It all brings the abysmal failure of our U20s into sharper focus.

Yeah the TG4 commentators are normally fairly effusive in their praise of Galway scores but that lad this evening got very excited I was a bit worried for his underwear at times. It's understandable to a degree as TG4 is based in Galway so one would expect a bit of local radio vibe to it when Galway are involved but this evening was by far the most exaggerated I've heard in a long time.

Sorry, that's not to say I'm ungrateful the level of coverage they give to underage GAA is sensational, along with the club coverage they provide.

Nemeton from An Rinné, west Waterford do most of the video work for TG4 and they did a lot of the club coverage for counties last year including Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Village87

Is the Minor game on TV ? Or streamed anywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Minor Team for this evening.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

Watching some of the underage games the past few weeks, you'd get the impression that we're very much down the pecking order, particularly at U20 level, and in particular in the strength & conditioning and tactics area of things.

You'd wonder what we can do to arrest the slide? I wonder would creating 5/6 divisional teams in the county at U19 level, and giving each of them full S&C programmes as well as regular no holds barred games against each other be of better benefit to what we're currently doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Under 19 club level is the worse move the County ever made. Hurlers between 18 and 20 have had no hurling at their own age now in close to 2 years by the time this years 1st round of club games are played. How can we expect to be competitive at that level when club competitions in normal times are played in the depths of winter. The only reason under 17 suits is for ease of fixtures for the exec. It's been a disaster for our players club and county IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Exactly. Without a doubt a terrible decision which will have nothing but bad consequences for Kilkenny and the GAA. For most players, they are simply giving the games up a year earlier when they finish u17. How does that benefit anyone? But it is actually worse for the players who have the interest to keep going. They are now expected to compete straight away at age 17 against hardened adults without any games amongst their own age group. A year makes a huge difference in terms of both physical and mental maturity and all players regardless of ability would benefit from that extra year at under age. The Leaving Cert is no longer an issue as most students are now 18 1/2 doing this exam and would be over age anyway. There is so much talk about development squads etc but it is all pointless if the game is not strong at club level and the decision to go back to u17 has and will do so much harm. It should be the number 1 priority for clubs and supporters to revert to u14, 16 and 18 which has served Kilkenny so well.

Advertisement