Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking

Options

Comments

They’re assholes but if they’re parked legally then you’re beat. Going to become more and more of an issue in the coming years unfortunately.

If they’re not legal then go to town on them. The ‘friendly neighbour’ thing is a dead duck in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They’re assholes but if they’re parked legally then you’re beat. Going to become more and more of an issue in the coming years unfortunately.

If they’re not legal then go to town on them. The ‘friendly neighbour’ thing is a dead duck in this day and age.

How is it arsehole to park cars outside you own house..

Let's say there are 4 adults in the house in a 2 vehicle driveway. What should they do. Leave the road clear outside in case the neighbour have visitors ? It's a public road.....

I moved to the country to get away from this nonsense. Pretend ownership of something you have no ownership over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

<SNIP>

listermint wrote: »

Let's say there are 4 adults in the house in a 2 vehicle driveway. What should they do. Leave the road clear outside in case the neighbour have visitors ? It's a public road.....

I moved to the country to get away from this nonsense. Pretend ownership of something you have no ownership over.

Oh yeah I’m not disputing they’re technically in the right if the cars are up to date with paperwork and all.

From what you've described they're parked legally, I don't know what you expect going to the Gardai will do, once they're not actually blocking or obstructing your access to your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    <MOD SNIP>

You’re a lovely neighbour to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As another poster said, reverse into your driveway.

Far far safer whether cars are parked on the road or not and once you get into the habit you will wonder why you didn't do it previously

As for neighbour parking. There is nothing you can do if there are no parking restrictions.

Fils wrote: »
    You’re a lovely neighbour to have.

Was just going to post that about myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    <MOD SNIP>.

I think there’s a video of your family on South William St doing the rounds.

I'm hardly serious now people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

OP widen your driveway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

After 3 pages these usually descend into after hours territory...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

frag420 wrote: »
    Surely just tax so long as you’re not driving it no!?

Any car parked on public space needs tax, insurance and an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting

frag420 wrote: »
    Surely just tax so long as you’re not driving it no!?
    This is not correct. This post is about parking in a public place, so Tax, Insurance and NCT are all required.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Funny thing about all this could generally be solved by smallest bit of consideration, but w*****s be w*****s, would not in all conscious park a big f*** off van on top of my neighbours drive ! But hey ho that's me ! Especially when there's other options 50 meters away that wouldn't impact on anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Incorrect, a good camera will give left and right view. Perhaps in your car you have poor camera.

You don’t understand the laws of physics if you think reversing cameras can give clearer angles and sight lines than driving out. And before you ask I have excellent reversing cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Dav010 wrote: »
    Where is it going to be parked?

Ah, public road, I get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Do you drive a Dacia perhaps?

Just to be argumentative, the Prestige model for Dacia have overhead 360° cameras.

Not that they'd be much use to you if you have cars blocking the view of the distance anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Marcusm wrote: »
    You don’t understand the laws of physics if you think reversing cameras can give clearer angles and sight lines than driving out. And before you ask I have excellent reversing cameras.

I’m sure you do, I’ll leave you in your ignorant post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

CRI0ST0IR wrote: »
    Or just buy one of those reflectors/mirrors and stick it across from the driveway entrances to see oncoming traffic.

If there are houses across the road, you would need to get permission from whoever owns the house directly opposite yours. And you might need planning permission also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can understand it in older areas, but modern houses should be required to have more than two parking spaces. It is pretty much the norm now for adult children to have cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting

Stanford wrote: »
    I always assumed it was illegal to park against the flow of traffic?
    It is illegal in some other jurisdictions, but it is not illegal in Ireland.

However, the previous posts did not state whether or not anyone was parking against the flow of traffic.

Edit, Sorry my mistake, I didn't notice that you are the OP.
    But anyway it is not illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

listermint wrote: »

I'd love a big trampoline but I live in an apartment. Maybe I should just park it on the street?

I'd love a big trampoline but I live in an apartment. Maybe I should just park it on the street?

Parking a trampoline at the side of the public road would be illegal.

Parking a taxed car, is not.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you did widen your driveway to the width of your house, would that prevent people parking in front legally? Presume you need planning, and would be expensive. Funny though, to see the faves of the neighbors. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Perhaps but I have never seen a camera on a car which shows 180 degrees

Most decent stand alone rear view cameras have a FOV of 130 degrees. (Final image could be cropped somewhat)

If you have a more advanced 360 camera system, they will typically used 190 lens and offer features such as cross traffic alert.(some will even brake aoutomatically, if the ultrasonics sensors detect a car/bike/ object).

But none of this probably helps the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Agreed but my issue is that of road safety which you don't really address

I’d just park there every time you get the chance. They might f**k off and park somewhere else then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Having a good reverse camera makes it safer to reverse out rather than stick the front of car blind onto road and expect everyone to obey you.

Really struggling to see how a reverse camera would help :confused:

They can look in a straight line, if you drive out, your head can look both straight ahead, left and right, so that would seem more logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,869 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can't, sometimes the cars are parked there for days on end, anyway I don't want to play tit for tat and add to the problem which they are causing

If you can't do this, you won't see any improvement. You're happy to accept it being a problem for yourself but never for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,658 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check if the cars all have valid tax, NCT, insurance discs on display, if not report them to Gardai. You can check NCT status at NCT.ie.

Advertisement