Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 US OPEN Torrey Pines, LA JOLLA, Calif

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

glasso wrote: »
    Not the quality finish that was expected given the leaderboard after 9 holes.

Rahm looked seriously hefty for a young man trundling around the course there. Must have really hit the Oreos during his self-inflicted covid quarantine.

Would have liked to see Louis take it but he has a long history of second places in big events.

Seemed strange not to try to give himself a chance on the last even if it may have been outside the normal range on that one shot.

Rahm is naturally stocky, he's looked the same for years.

Shame about Louis alright, I still think he's got another major in him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

One thing I noticed was the difficulty players were having with the shorter putts. Maybe my imagination, but it seemed like a lot of misses from about four to five feet and in. Even the really good putters were missing these I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

What a performance by Rahm, has there been a better finish by a player in a Major since Schwartzel in 2011? Two ridiculous putts in a row to finish it off, fair play to him. I said that Rahm would never win a Major because he’s too firey and loses his temper too easily and I always felt that would play against him in the heat of a back 9 on Sunday. Yesterday he was just so impressive though and he fully deserved it. Maybe fatherhood has calmed him down a bit?

On a side note, I’m delighted Koepka didn’t win it. This feud he’s having with DeChambeau is getting tiresome now and I read this morning that even Scheffler was pissed off hearing Brooksy being shouted at DeChambeau yesterday. There’s nothing better than big and vocal crowds but trying to get in a players head isn’t sporting and they need to stamp it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Golf is funny old game.

Was it on 9th hole where Rahm should have been Out Of Bounds. A 6 turns into a 4.

A huge break cause had he got the 6 that was him done. Instead it gave him a second chance and fair play to him for taking it.

Those 2 putts were great. Hard to see him not win another major in next 13 months.

Was also great to see Wolff back? Pity he faded but it’s promising. Anyone know what’s been going on with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Was a poor spectacle compared to the PGA based on winner and course.

Miles behind 2008 US open of course

Golf boring without the big bad wolf chasing people down

Kinda missing a star at the moment, was lucky that it had Jack and Tiger for those years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

How was that a poor spectacle? It was an incredibly exciting final round - fair enough a lot of them fell away during the back 9 but that was exciting in itself. Then Rahm holing two massive putts to win it.

The course is crap though, very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

OEP wrote: »
    How was that a poor spectacle? It was an incredibly exciting final round - fair enough a lot of them fell away during the back 9 but that was exciting in itself. Then Rahm holing two massive putts to win it.

Agreed, far more enjoyable to watch the top guys have to battle than watching a turkey shoot with birdie after birdie.

Would agree on the course as well, very vanilla!

Just a personal gripe as well, I don't like a course with a Par 5 18th just doesn't work - there is no real logic to this just a personal view :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Motivator wrote: »
    What a performance by Rahm, has there been a better finish by a player in a Major since Schwartzel in 2011? Two ridiculous putts in a row to finish it off, fair play to him.

Phil at Muirfield in 2013 was a special finish as well, -4 for the last 6 holes on a course that only himself bettered par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Agreed, far more enjoyable to watch the top guys have to battle than watching a turkey shoot with birdie after birdie.

Would agree on the course as well, very vanilla!

Just a personal gripe as well, I don't like a course with a Par 5 18th just doesn't work - there is no real logic to this just a personal view :D

I suppose it gives an eagle opportunity, which can launch someone up the leaderboard

Another thing, that pond is awful. It does not suit it's surroundings whatsoever

OEP wrote: »

the most exciting thing to happen on the day was Bryson shooting +6

Oosthuizen losing was about as exciting as watching the air slowly leak out of a balloon, could hardly stay awake for it

if anything holing that put at the end made it less exciting than a play off

The course had a lot to do with it, played too easy really

• Advertisement

Kinda missing a star at the moment, was lucky that it had Jack and Tiger for those years
    I'd actually think the opposite tbh. One player dominating a sport is the definition of boring.

Rahm is naturally stocky, he's looked the same for years.

Shame about Louis alright, I still think he's got another major in him though.

I know that Rahm is a big man naturally but seemed to have a huge big arse and ned Kelly on him this week, even compared to normal (last few years)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'd actually think the opposite tbh. One player dominating a sport is the definition of boring.

You didn't like the tiger years? When golf went from niche to borderline watchable

Phil sad he made more money by losing to tiger than he would have winning without him

It was a joy to watch someone working miracles and seeing could anyone stop them

Even though he won a lot of majors there were plenty more to win, but you had to beat him

Pushed the sport out of the doldrums where it was just a sport for auld lads

You need a superstar

glasso wrote: »
    I know that Rahm is a big man naturally but seemed to have a huge big arse and ned Kelly on him this week, even compared to normal (last few years)

Rahm has looked exactly the same since birth

Rahm has looked exactly the same since birth

same surrogate mother as Shane Lowry allegedly.

Audrey O'Mahony-Navarro

You didn't like the tiger years? When golf went from niche to borderline watchable

Phil sad he made more money by losing to tiger than he would have winning without him

It was a joy to watch someone working miracles and seeing could anyone stop them

Even though he won a lot of majors there were plenty more to win, but you had to beat him

Pushed the sport out of the doldrums where it was just a sport for auld lads

You need a superstar
    If the same guy is winning everything, yeah, it does get boring. Where's the excitement?

Granted, Tiger in his pomp was a phenomenon, he changed the game for good and is hugely talented. But when there's nobody challenging, you just lose interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’ll still reserve judgement on Rahm to an extent on the ‘fight’ he has in him.

The 9th hole was ridiculous and a couple of miracle putts don’t quite seal it for me. His driving was still wild in the run-in and it worked in his favour that others faltered a bit more than him.

Have to give him the credit though and I’m certain he will win more majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If Louis had the fire Rahm has he'd have won that. Just not aggressive enough when it matters.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If Louis had the fire Rahm has he'd have won that. Just not aggressive enough when it matters.

The Tweet Louis put up yesterday morning was one of the more loser mentality tweets that I’ve seen. I’m saying that as a big Louis fan. Really nice fella clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

callaway92 wrote: »
    The Tweet Louis put up yesterday morning was one of the more loser mentality tweets that I’ve seen. I’m saying that as a big Louis fan. Really nice fella clearly.

Louis is well known for not really giving a $hit....i think his agent came out recently and said something a long the lines that if he cared more about winning, he'd have a handful of majors by now......he's a farmer at heart who just happens to be a serious golfer.....i like Louis too...almost like the anti Patrick Reed who'll win at any cost....plus what's not to love about that lip synch video that was doing the rounds on twitter!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All Louis needs to do is do nothing with that swing, pure bliss to watch, zero effort for purist of strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

slave1 wrote: »
    All Louis needs to do is do nothing with that swing, pure bliss to watch, zero effort for purist of strikes

Louis playing with Padraig in this week's BMW. Shame he didn't take the week off and go to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Speak Now wrote: »
    Louis playing with Padraig in this week's BMW. Shame he didn't take the week off and go to Kilkenny.

I’d follow him from the range to his putt on 18. Fabulous player to watch. I had the pleasure of following him around Sawgrass on the Thursday four or five years ago. He was out early and wasn’t with any other big names so I got to watch him without any hassle. I’ve never seen a purer striker of a ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Got him for a few holes in Portrush, looks like he hardy swings at all, bliss

Advertisement