Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 US OPEN Torrey Pines, LA JOLLA, Calif

• 14-06-2021 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

2021-US-OPEN-_TORREY-PINES_POSTER-uai-1032x1522.jpg
    The fairways and rough are mostly kikuyu, the greens poa annua. Devlin’s Billabong, the large bowl of soup fronting the 18th green, is still the only water hazard (other than the Pacific Ocean). The 387-yard second hole is still the only par 4 under 400 yards.

Additionally, the picturesque, 195-yard third hole, which plays downhill into the prevailing wind, is still the signature par 3. With multiple teeing areas and wind directions, it can call for anything from a pitching wedge to a long iron.

As in ’08, the dogleg-right sixth hole, which plays as a 560-yard par 5 during the Farmers Insurance Open, will be converted to a 515-yard par 4.

The easiest hole in ’08 was the 568-yard, par-5 18th (4.79 average), the site of the do-or-die Woods’ putt, and Dan Hicks’ call: “Expect anything different?” Expect it to be the easiest this time around, as well.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2021-top-100-golfers-ranked-torrey-pines-south

Selection from above that I think could win.
    29. Shane Lowry
    28. Marc Leishman
    26. Jason Kokrak
    25. Max Homa
    15. Jordan Spieth
    13. Patrick Reed
    12. Xander Schauffele
    11. Will Zalatoris
    10. Viktor Hovland
    8. Bryson DeChambeau
    7. Tony Finau
    3. Jon Rahm
    2. Collin Morikawa
    1. Brooks Koepka

tiger_us_open_gif_getty_ringer.0.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

Worlds dullest Golf Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I wouldn't say no to a round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

When Patrick Reed won the Travellers earlier in the season, the commentators said he spent his entire practice rounds that week playing US Open golf. He won that tournament by 5 shots. He loves the poa annua greens and loves the course. I always thought a US Open would suit him because he’s a dog, he just never gives in and he just hangs around the leaderboard. I don’t think there’s a better grinder on the PGA tour than him. I haven’t been as confident about a player’s chances in a major since Woods in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Motivator wrote: »
    When Patrick Reed won the Travellers earlier in the season, the commentators said he spent his entire practice rounds that week playing US Open golf. He won that tournament by 5 shots. He loves the poa annua greens and loves the course. I always thought a US Open would suit him because he’s a dog, he just never gives in and he just hangs around the leaderboard. I don’t think there’s a better grinder on the PGA tour than him. I haven’t been as confident about a player’s chances in a major since Woods in his prime.

I really, really hope you're wrong

I really, really hope you're wrong

Like him or loathe him, he’s some player and has the short game to tackle Torrey Pines. I’d much rather Reed compared to Koepka, who is fast becoming the most unlikeable player of any era and not just the current, or that other clown DeChambeau.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

tiger_us_open_gif_getty_ringer.0.gif[/quote]

Surely the most iconic fist pump in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will it be won over par ? Like some US open courses. Last year it was expected to be won over par but Bryson had other thoughts

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Will it be won over par ? Like some US open courses. Last year it was expected to be won over par but Bryson had other thoughts

If the rough is anything to go by, it’s going to be some slog. Poulter put up a video today of his ball in the rough literally 3 foot from the green. The ball was invisible, he had to put the camera down about 6 inches above the ball so it could be seen.

The greens and fairways will be as fast and firm as you’ll see anywhere so it should be a great test.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Unless its a Shinnecock '04 type farce situation, par will be broken.

Brooks Koepka in ominously good form early doors. 3 under through 9 and tied at the top. He probably having a point to prove against his critics one would suspect. A two time US Open champion so knows how to get the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭Xander10

how much delayed are the tee times?

looks like i will be in bed before my main interests start

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

Xander10 wrote: »
    how much delayed are the tee times?

looks like i will be in bed before my main interests start

Why are they so late?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭Xander10

bamayang wrote: »
    Why are they so late?

fog

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Xander10 wrote: »
    fog

And an 8 hour time difference, will be a late night Sunday night.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

And an 8 hour time difference, will be a late night Sunday night.

We're actually lucky this time, expected to be done and dusted by 1am our time. The main channel in the US (NBC I think?) have prior commitments to show Olympics qualifying in the USA so the golf is starting earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Fantastic looking golf course. Never seen so many par 4's over 5 hundred yards. And the par 5s are enormous. At the same time the secondary rough is brutal. Great to see Shane hanging in there. Can see cut levels at +6 or +,7. Had thought Harrington was close to qualifying. What happened there?. As for golf swings Wolff has a shocking swing, it's nearly as bad as mine, but clearly more effective 😀

Plus 1 for Shane ain't shabby. Gwan Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Fantastic looking golf course. Never seen so many par 4's over 5 hundred yards. And the par 5s are enormous. At the same time the secondary rough is brutal. Great to see Shane hanging in there. Can see cut levels at +6 or +,7. Had thought Harrington was close to qualifying. What happened there?. As for golf swings Wolff has a shocking swing, it's nearly as bad as mine, but clearly more effective ��

Harrington was in a playoff to qualify with something like 8 others, including Rickie Fowler. I believe an amateur holed out from the fairway to win it. Not sure who the guy is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

Very enjoyable coverage so far. Good lot of different players being shown, and not having to watch anyone line up a shot or putt for 2 minutes.

bamayang wrote: »
    Very enjoyable coverage so far. Good lot of different players being shown, and not having to watch anyone line up a shot or putt for 2 minutes.

not one reference to Lowry in his 18 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    not one reference to Lowry in his 18 holes

They showed a few of his shots at the start of the round. Americans don't want to watch Lowry!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some round from Louis, could get to -5 if the greens are receptive as he has a par 5 to play.

Inspirational stuff from 48 year old Richard Bland co leading the US Open. Playing some beautiful golf from tee to green and holing putts too. Just shows what a victory (last month's British Masters at the Belfry) can do for confidence and belief in your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Inspirational stuff from 48 year old Richard Bland co leading the US Open. Playing some beautiful golf from tee to green and holing putts too. Just shows what a victory (last month's British Masters at the Belfry) can do for confidence and belief in your ability.

Had a look for the craic and he's no where near the top when looking at winning odds despite being joint leader, which generally is slightly odd. Would be great if he could continue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great performance by Bland so far, hopefully he can keep it up and get into one of the later groups tomorrow

Bryson on the charge, brooks look out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bryson on the charge, brooks look out.

Not sure I want them paired together over the final two days. Not sure any other player would be shown then

Not sure I want them paired together over the final two days. Not sure any other player would be shown then

Hopefully we can get them into a ring and they can sort it out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great performance by Bland so far, hopefully he can keep it up and get into one of the later groups tomorrow

Was delighted when he finally got the win on the European, playing great stuff so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Imagine bland winning after taking so long to win on the European tour!

Advertisement