Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling- what’s gone wrong and where do we go from here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think pundits can't really call out the handpassing as they'll get a name for being mouthy and awkward. To be a successful pundit in the current environment you have to be a safe pair of hands and stick to the script. I'd say being able and available to play golf is no load either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The idea that high scoring games are inevitably better than lower scoring ones went unchallenged for a number of years, but seems to have been exposed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭randd1

• Limit the size of the bas of a hurl to 14cm and strictly regulate it, goalkeepers included. This should be a given, I can't think of any other sport that requires equipment that is completely central in which that equipment isn't even checked, never mind vigorously and repeatedly monitored with penalties for breaking the rule. It would take a few yards off most strikes, and the smaller bas would see the occasional mis-hit/mis-control, adding a bit of chaos into the game. The goalie hurls should be the same which would mean not only would the keeper be playing with the same equipment as everyone else, there's be more chance of missing a shot too, as well as shorter puck-outs.
    • Alter the hand-pass rule so the pass can't be hit with the same hand. This would completely remove the throw, which has become a cancer in the game.
    • All puck outs to go past the 45 yard line. This would put an emphasis on contesting the ball, and catching.
    • Create an square ranging from the edge of the D outside the 21 yard line to 20 yards either side of the centre of the goal, and strictly implement to sin bin rule within the area. No point in having this rule apply to areas near the side-line.
    • Retrospective bans for hits to the head, regardless of whether the ref dealt with it in game. An accidental hit requires a one match ban. A deliberate strike (like Gearoid Hegarty's or Seamus Flanagan's last week) gets a two match ban, and all bans from a deliberate strike to come with a 15 game warning, in that a further incident of a similar nature will see a 5 match ban. It might give plenty of lads pause around charging in with shoulders to the chest.

Those rule changes alone would see the contest and organised chaos put back into hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You might as well have ornamental gnomes either side of the posts

Referees being able to select their own umpires needs to go the way of the dodo.

I wouldn't disagree with your substantive point but would it not be very hard to recruit reliably available umpires unless you had referees using their own regulars?

• Advertisement

You mean like the difficulty we have in finding reliably available linesemen?

I have no idea about linesmen or how difficult it is to recruit them for big games but a referee needs four umpires to be regularly available. That could be difficult to organise centrally by appointment (assuming logically that that's the alternative) as distinct from letting the referee look after it and having a core group he works with constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It shouldnt be for majority of bigger games. Always working with the same team has disadvantages as well as advantages. It shouldnt be that difficult to organise centrally if you have a panel of suitably qualified officials.

Currently, the umpires role is to back the ref and not make him look bad, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Well what training do they get and assistance to improve as match officials. it isnt simply just noting the scores. Its also why for top level games the umpires should be full qualified officials and not be the same every week just like in other sports you dont have same linesmen and touch judges every game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Kilkenny killed the game, Limerick took their physical dogmatic anti hurling approach to a new level.

Cork are on a one team mission to save real technical hurling. The only true purveyors left, of real hurling.

Every neutral should be behind them, their potential succuss the only spark that can reinvigorate teams to play hurling how it should be played.

Otherwise, the alternative is, who is the biggest, most dogmatic and most physical.

Cork don't get enough credit for sticking to their own game, despite their losses. Their belief they'll finally overcome anti-hurling, playing the right way, has to be admired.

And they will get there. Hurlings greatest county, producing the most natural hurlers for decades, will get there. They've had hard learning curves, but they will adapt with experience and outplay the rest. It's just a matter of time

Hurlings greatest aristocrats are coming for their crown. Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Romantic Ireland’s dead and gone,

It’s with Christy Ring in the grave.

p.s.

shup shite talkin'.

And before anyone comes out with the nonsense, Kilkenny are the greatest hurling county, Cork led the roll of honour for literally decades. It's only recently KK surpassed them.

Cork splitting provincial honours with Tipp for decades, KK had over 20+ attempts, with a handy Leinster provincial title, with no back door, to surpass them coming from Leinster. You'd assume, had Cork won their provence 80+ times like KK, instead of circa 50 times, they'd have 40+ All Irelands.

And much of KKs dominance had to do with the implosion of Cork GAA in the late 00's, gave KK a free run. Make no mistake, the greatest and most talented hurlers come from Cork, not Tipp or KK. Cork play a unique technical, special way, near all but lost today.

All neutrals should be behind them, the last true hurling county, playing the right way. People don't want to hear the truth, clearly.

You love true hurling, get behind Cork!

Tipp one of the greatest opportunists since Corks fall in the late 00s, yet still couldn't have an era they dominated

Forever destined to live in their shadow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Needed a laugh on my night shift. You delivered. Thanks

I love how people laugh at it, yet can never dispute it. Laugh to cover how they've no real rebuke

KK were effective and brilliant at what they did, Limerick have taken it to a new level. This thread is about what's gone wrong with hurling

The dominance of KK and Limerick is precisely what's gone wrong with it, advertising to the young the wrong way in how to play the game.

Watch Cork and learn how to play it properly

Tipp won 3 all Irelands in last decade playing unbelievable hurling, not worthy of a mention?

Spread out, never really dominated. And that was the best they could muster, after watching Cork fall away.

A half competitive resurgent Cork, beat them 2017, and since then, Tipp haven't been up to much. Won a flaky All-Ireland in 19, but most betting people, would have Cork to do a job on Tipp any day of the week since. And this one of Corks weakest eras

Just shows you the standards and dominance Cork set over the years. Tipp having half a dominance over them after an implosion in the county, is a reason for considered success .

The past is behind us, all it takes is a quick glance of the raw talent coming from Cork right now. Normal service will soon be resumed.

And when Cork dominate next, like KK, it won't be 3 all Irelands spread over 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Can you describe in your words this "unique technical, special way" that Cork play?

As far as I can see it involves Cork players doing a lot of running around taking excessive steps throwing the ball to teammates, and occasionally using their short stubby hurls with comically oversized bas intended to overcome their lack of skill.

Not exactly how Michael Cusack imagined it is it?

The answer is in your question I'd say. Tipp won some All Irelands which by definition seems to be a sellout of the game's traditions. This poster's logic seems to be governed by the belief system that has it that poor people are intrinsically more moral than rich people. Hurling-wise a team must win nothing in order to be seen be protectors of the game.

• Advertisement

A previous poster asked me was I not impressed by how Tipp recently won All Irelands. I wasn't. They took what KK did, and yes the difference was more skill. They tried to beat KK at their own game, then let skill tell, like Galway after them. Limerick took it to a new level.

Cork are the only team who didn't go down this road. What I mean by technical skill isn't simply running at opponants, the ability the find 40 yard passes to a team mate under pressure, to run off his team mate seeing a silky pass, the general ability to put a 70 yard pass in their team mates hand.

Physical teams break this up, but I believe Cork will adapt to it and finally outplay them. Hurling needs them to succeed. They're the only team that hasn't gone down the KK rabbit hole, of a physical and dogmatic approach. They still play true hurling, the last team left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

All those teams had way more skillful and better players than Cork for almost the last twenty years. For the last five years, there's nothing a Cork hurler can do that a Limerick hurler couldn't do better consistently. That includes every skill.

This thread is about what has gone wrong with hurling. I'm surprised with the responses. After watching 20 years of dogmatic hurling, and after asking themselves what the problem with hurling is today, I'm surprised more people aren't agreeing.

People able to see how pungent and dire it is when their team don't win, and when they do, gloss over it. As a neutral it's been pungent since KKs dominance .

I understand people don't like Cork, it's not about liking them, it's about getting behind what they represent, and their cast iron belief in playing a system where they are continually losing, but won't change, knowing if they persist they'll win out.

I'll tell you something, when they finally overcome the negative physical dogmatic approach, and get the hang of how to play against it, the rest may as well pack it in.

The rest have invested in a certain style for near two decades now, a certain way of playing, and when Cork suss it, and get the better of it, alot of county's will be in serious trouble trying to adapt.

I never said Cork had more skill in those years per say, but the system they persist with is technically superior, even if losing now

You forgot something very important and most if not all hurling counties agree is that cork are soft as shite. Have been for near 20years now.

18years is a long to play a system that's not working, some would say that is very dogmatic.

I acknowledged their problems, yet in that time what have Tipp really won? 2001? Couldn't even dominate after their great rival fall fell.

Your last comment very important, Cork soft as sh1te? They are now, but won many All Irelands playing that way. They persist with a philosophy, admittedly, being bullied by everyone at present. They can't compete physically.

But just consider, they've youngsters of a raw talent, who can play that style and succeed coming through?

What's Limericks, KK, Tipps answer to a team who can play around and through them on a technical level, once they adapt to to what's constantly beating them? You don't think Cork are going back to the drawing board after every defeat and doubling down on this?

They're going to win playing a game the rest abandoned, and when they get on top of it, the rest are in very big trouble imo

tipp have won 3 all Irelands since corks last win 18years ago, put it this way no way in hell would a cork team have stopped that great kilkennys team drive for five. Any sane cork man would rather have tipps recent record then corks famine. You are a funny character, a philosopher that doesn't seem to live in the real world however. You seem to want a non contact version of hurling, ring would turn in his grave at the thought.18years, cork must have a very big drawing board to keep going back to.

Cork since he late 00's were a disaster. No one was saying they would of had a team to beat or compete with KK, but alot of that comes down to internal problems, and they slowly went downhill, year after year, after that

Their resurrection came in 2017, and Lehane dragging them up several levels, since then they've been back to an extent.

I'm sure Cork would have loved 3 All Irelands since their last win, but I can gaurantee you if they won 3, they would have dominated. They've had huge problems and lost years, but since they've been rejuvenated, they're working on something.

They're getting closer every year, persisting with lost tactics where everyone says they're soft, living in the past but persisting with it. They're building to something.

The great rivalry coming will be Limerick v Cork. Limerick a proven team versus the pace and speed of Cork. It is coming. And Cork will topple them and hopefully change the ideals of how hurling is seen and played

• Advertisement

Leahne, oh Jesus, he wouldn't crack eggs. I really hope this is how the cork players and management think too. Sure they would have dominated, the fact you say stuff with no evidence to back up your points only thoughts shows how far cork have really fallen, actually sad nearly.

Advertisement