Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In 10th place with 10 points is
    Barna

Boston - More Than a Feeling

Heard the artist: Yes
    Heard the song: Yes

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

Another band I would rate like Toto, you know a few famous songs but nothing more. I know they probably have tonnes of albums that I’ve never listened to. This being one of their more famous songs, never realised it was their debut though. Just a great catchy song. It is a bit of a slow start but then gets going, nice tempo change. I remember many years ago, I bought the Gladiators soundtrack on cassette tape and this song was on it. Not sure if it was the first time I heard it, probably not. Anyways, I borrowed that tape to a friend, long time ago and never got it back. Not really relevant to this review but thought you might be interested. Good pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Kolido wrote: »
    In 11th place with 9 points is
    Stu

Britney Spears - Hit me baby one more time

Brilliant song choice!

In 11th place with 9 points is
    Stu

Britney Spears - Hit me baby one more time

Review

Well you don’t get many bigger debut hits than this one. I hadn’t even thought about this song when deciding this category but it is very obvious now. Poptastic. Very catchy, there’s that phrase I keep referring to too. Nice music beat, love that piece at the start. Can anyone admit they don’t sing along to this song when they hear it, I can’t. We all know the lyrics. Yes, yes, this is cringy as hell but damn it, it is too good not to like. Good pick

I think I had actually submitted something else first of all, but then the username "SineadSpears" gave me a Eureka moment and I changed my entry.

I have absolutely no regrets :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am so finishing last

tenor.gif?itemid=7910308

Brilliant song choice!

It was all you :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You could say that Sinead

*Gave you a sign*

I'll get my coat....

I think I had actually submitted something else first of all, but then the username "SineadSpears" gave me a Eureka moment and I changed my entry.

well it didn't give me inspiration because I never even thought about the song myself, and I really like that song too :D

In 9th place with 11 points is
    Beaker

Toto - Hold The Line

Review

Great song, we have all heard it. Toto are one of those bands that you will know a few songs and not many more unless you are a big fan. That is how I see them anyway. Great melody here, that piano riff and indeed guitar are highly recognisable. I think the chorus really lifts the song. Great guitar solo also. Yeah, many great things but just doesn’t have a killer pro to bring it to greater heights. Very good pick though.

I took a look back to check your orignal pick, I think it was wise to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I couldn't help myself... Not actually used it in a Walrus before so felt about time... :pac:

:eek:

• Advertisement

well it didn't give me inspiration because I never even thought about the song myself, and I really like that song too :D

It's a classic, still sounds great 20 years later.

Funny your username...because if any big pop star got totally ruined by the music industry more than Britney Spears, it was Sinead O'Connor.

In 8th place with 12 points is
    Sawduck

Linkin Park - One Step Closer

Review

I remember my friend complaining a lot about Linkin Park back in the day. I was kind of the opposite about them. I wasn’t a big fan but I didn’t dis them. I think crawling might have been the first song I remember hearing and thinking, yeah these guys sound pretty good. There was also that other band that at the time I was getting them mixed up with, Papa Roach. Looking back now, I think these guys were really fresh at the time, I had not heard metal and turntable together before. This is a song that I have listened to more and more in the last few years. This sound really heavy, doesn’t get boring and I love the guitars in this. Really catchy and quite short, could really throw this one on at any time for a music hit. I wouldn’t say it is my favourite LP song. I should point out also, Hybrid Theory is a superb album. Great pick.

It's a classic, still sounds great 20 years later.

Funny your username...because if any big pop star got totally ruined by the music industry more than Britney Spears, it was Sinead O'Connor.

well well, aren't you a smart little cookie ;)

I took a look back to check your orignal pick, I think it was wise to change.

Poor Hozier.

Yeah, I wasn't really feeling it and I don't actually like Take Me To Church. I couldn't deny though that it was a huge hit and launched him to instant global stardom.

Are you thinking of running another round tonight Kol?

Linkin Park - One Step Closer

another briiliant choice that i hadn't even considered :)

In 7th place with 13 points is
    Shane

Avril Lavigne - Complicated

Review

Another really big hit back in the day. I just loved this song when it was released. I can’t really pinpoint what exactly it was about it that dragged me in. I think it was the catchy lyrics, nice music and just something fresh at the time. I did like their follow up hits also but never really got into them that much. My brother dragged me along to see them at The Point in the mid noughties, it was actually a really good gig I must admit. In the last 10 years or so, I started listening to their early albums and really enjoy them to this day. So a really good song originally, that I didn’t really listen too much until more recently and to this day, a great hit. Nice pick. So guys, what do you want to do after this reveal, go crash the mall?

So guys, what do you want to do after this reveal, go crash the mall?

Have a heap of pints and watch the football preferably :D

well well, aren't you a smart little cookie ;)

JgjgiBV.gif

Poor Hozier.

Yeah, I wasn't really feeling it and I don't actually like Take Me To Church. I couldn't deny though that it was a huge hit and launched him to instant global stardom.

Are you thinking of running another round tonight Kol?

Just the 1 round tonight, hoping to do another tomorrow night around the same time.
    LeVar has a few reveals also over the weekend so sharing the prime time slots with him.

Just the 1 round tonight, hoping to do another tomorrow night around the same time.
    LeVar has a few reveals also over the weekend so sharing the prime time slots with him.

Ah right, good stuff, hopefully I'll be here.

• Advertisement

In 5th place with 14 points is
    Aris, CeeJay

Lady Gaga - Just Dance

Review

I always thought ‘Poker Face’ was her debut but I was obviously wrong. I have heard this before, but wasn’t very familiar with it. On first listen, I thought it was average. But I thought I was a bit harsh on it, after a few more listens I have a new found appreciation for this song. Vocally it will not win many awards, but there is actually some kind of reverb trick going on here that is playing with my ears and I really like it. This is one for the headphones. Very good pick that I initially dismissed.

Now that is good GaGa :D

Happy enough to not be bottom 3 this round, was struggling to pick something that didn't seem too "safe" and ended up going with what was randomly stuck in my head that day!
    Aris, CeeJay

Lady Gaga - Just Dance

On first listen, I thought it was average. But I thought I was a bit harsh on it, after a few more listens I have a new found appreciation for this song. Vocally it will not win many awards, but there is actually some kind of reverb trick going on here that is playing with my ears and I really like it.

Pretty much sums up my reaction when I first heard it, didn't like it at first but it really grew on me after a while. I actually prefer this one to Poker Face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Necro wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a Walrus without a purple tin Tom Petty entry.

I think *Think* he might like Tom Petty :pac:
    Well there is two kinds of people in this world.
    Tom Petty fans and people who have never heard him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Aris, CeeJay

Lady Gaga - Just Dance

Review

I always thought ‘Poker Face’ was her debut but I was obviously wrong. I have heard this before, but wasn’t very familiar with it. On first listen, I thought it was average. But I thought I was a bit harsh on it, after a few more listens I have a new found appreciation for this song. Vocally it will not win many awards, but there is actually some kind of reverb trick going on here that is playing with my ears and I really like it. This is one for the headphones. Very good pick that I initially dismissed.

giphy.gif

Top and bottom 3
    Bubbly
    EN
    Liz
    Necro
    Seph
    Shelly
    Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've been beaten by Rick Astley? :eek:

Stop the world and let me off!
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FOR8yonr9LZgU8%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Where's 6th and 4th place?

ShaneU wrote:
    Where's 6th and 4th place?

Two duplicates would be my assumption

• Advertisement

In 17th place with 3 points is
    Liz

Kesha - Tik Tok

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

When I saw this song picked I thought, great, I haven’t heard this for some time and remember liking it. Then I played the video and remembered I was mixing it up with another song. Another Kesha song. I mean this is catchy, especially the chorus but it is not going to win any awards. I don’t think she can sing at all. She actually reminds me of an ex, attitude and looks. I do like the promo video and as I said, catchy chorus but not much more to say about this one. An average rating is probably about right.

Advertisement