Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working - the future?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I personally think we'll go back to the previous way for a while but it will eventually come back by the end of the decade. All the powers that be want people back in offices; it's good for commerce, it's good for owners of capital, it's good for organisational structure, it's good for cities. Too many stand to lose out too much for it to be embraced whole heartedly. What you'll see, imo, is the most sought after people being able to call the shots but the more middle rung will have to tow the line. Eventually though it will reach a critical mass where more and more demand that they be able to WFH.

As an owner of a business it certainly wasn't good for me, it's actually terrible to be paying rent on a building if you don't need to.

Obviously there are some businesses who are in a different position, but anyone who is coming near the end of a lease and can manage with remote working is going to do exactly that. It'd be an act of self sabotage not to.

People think it's in employers interests to keep an eye on people, but its much better to not pay any rent. It's a huge cost. Slackers are slackers, you have them at home or in an office. In a sense it's easier to catch them out at home, they'll be judged by output.

The reason it's going to dominate largely because its in company's interests. The fact that workers and employers are largely on the same side is a bonus. Again, the fact it's good for society overall by taking people out of crammed cities and allowing them to live in declining rural areas is also just a coincidence.

There are vested interests that are losing out, but I don't see how anyone, the State included, can compensate businesses enough to stick with offices. It's more important now to make the transition as comfortable as possible, it has happened a bit suddenly, but that's just how business is, sometimes unforeseen things happen and you have to move on. If that means your city centre coffee shop has to let go some of the workers, that's unfortunate but unavoidable. The State needs to help people suffering this type of consequence, because there's no preventing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,972 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ok so it's gone from not wanting to see your laptop because it's a reminder of what you do for a living to having to power it up because your boss contacts you. Amazing the amount of people who don't seem to have the word "no" in their vocabulary.

I too drove to work, after putting up with the Luas shenanigans for too long. My commute was still an hour. Those ten hours a week are more valuable to me now, whether they were previously spent on a tram or in a car.

I don’t even want to have that discussion or expectations placed on me...

I want to work in a workplace not my front room, kitchen or at home, anywhere.

Strumms wrote: »
    Well for a pointless discussion you’ve said quite a bit...

Post covid there will be a kickback :)

And employers won't care a jot, it's about the bottom line and there's plenty of replacements for people like you.

Like I said, wheels are in motion. No turning back. Sowwy.

:fake smiley:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I don’t even want to have that discussion.

Ah..ok :)

And employers won't care a jot, it's about the bottom line and there's plenty of replacements for people like you.

Like I said, wheels are in motion. No turning back. Sowwy.

:fake smiley:

Many already don’t care a jot, what do you mean ‘won’t ‘ ;)

Replacements, ohhh we’ll see... you simply can’t rewrite contracts or terms of employment, not legal my friend.

Wheels are in motion, hahaha :D you might be surprised about how fast wheels come off when employers start pushing their weight around.;) the legacy that many employers have left post covid isn’t positive, people are smartening up.... prioritizing themselves, family and wellbeing over greedy drip bags.

:sincere smiley:

• Advertisement

Many already don’t care a jot, what do you mean ‘won’t ‘ ;)

Replacements, ohhh we’ll see... you simply can’t rewrite contracts or terms of employment, not legal my friend.

Wheels are in motion, hahaha :D you might be surprised about how fast wheels come off when employers start pushing their weight around.;) the legacy that many employers have left post covid isn’t positive, people are smartening up.... prioritizing themselves, family and wellbeing over greedy drip bags.

:sincere smiley:

It's already happened. You're living a lie. Bye now.

Not at all, :). I’m living very comfortably... but you keep enjoying Disney time for yourself there, ciao Bella. :)

Not at all, :) but you keep enjoying Disney time for yourself there, ciao Bella.

Lol. The next year is going to be a rough one for you.

Buckle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think you are being disingenuous here. Its currently happening because we are in the middle of a pandemic and the government said everyone who can should work from home. And during that time the requirements for a proper home office or a requirement to have a childminder were overlooked. They wont be after.

There will probably be more companies who offer WFH after the pandemic but likely it will be a hybrid system. But you still need to live close enough to commute to the office. Which will still be close to bigger cities for most.
    Then the price of a house with a room for an office will be too expensive so people will just go to the office every day.

This doesnt apply to everyone and there are a lot of people who will be delighted with a hybrid system or some companies who offer 100% WFH.

Lol. The next year is going to be a rough one for you.

Buckle up.

Mystic meg here, I think you need to have a lie down and some vitamin C ... everything is rather sunny here thanks and getting better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There will always be jobs that someone has to go to do them, construction, nursing, farming, pharma for example.
    It's just work previously done in offices that's going to go remote. There'll always be people going places to do work. But it is something for people to think about, if you're an accountant, IT worker, that work will probably mean being at home. That's not for everyone, no more than the jobs themselves aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

Hello everybody

Just wondering what everyone's employer is doing now in relation to future working arrangements (assuming you can wfh).

the Whitaker poll from NUI Galway showed almost one third of all time want to work remotely 100% of the time.

Personally, having wfh'd since March 2020, I have seen the huge benefits of no stressful commutes - more productive, more time with family, just happier!
    That said, I am a home owner with a small office space (but does the trick) and have reliable broadband.

I am not sure I can ever see myself commuting again.

What are people's general thoughts on this? I believe many offices may have pressure from Senior Execs to get people back in the office.

Going work and back home what makes who you are.

There will always be jobs that someone has to go to do them, construction, nursing, farming, pharma for example.
    It's just work previously done in offices that's going to go remote. There'll always be people going places to do work. But it is something for people to think about, if you're an accountant, IT worker, that work will probably mean being at home. That's not for everyone, no more than the jobs themselves aren't.

Loads of people work from home...but by choice... a good friend of mine who unfortunately passed away 3 years ago, a freelance account worked from home... I think working for yourself that’s appropriate. HIS choice.

An acquaintance of mine who is a physiotherapist, her own business ....she lives just her and husband in a huge old property, converted part of it into her workplace / studio... again by choice... ��

Nobody placing expectations on them.

Mystic meg here, I think you need to have a lie down and some vitamin C ... everything is rather sunny here thanks and getting better. :D

The things you are in denial about are already happening. The things you clearly expect to happen in your above posts fly in the face of what's already happening. You're going to have a rough time adjusting to this new world.

I feel sorry for you. Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ok so it's gone from not wanting to see your laptop because it's a reminder of what you do for a living to having to power it up because your boss contacts you. Amazing the amount of people who don't seem to have the word "no" in their vocabulary.

As in "no, we are not passing your probation, its not working out for us" ?

The reason won't be stated, but will come down to you not being responsive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The reason won't be stated, but will come down to you not being responsive enough.

Someone will pass the probation if they are doing the work expected of them.

If an employer doesn't pass somebody after probation because they are not working late or taking after hour calls than the employee will be lucky not to work for such a place.

You seem to have never worked in a workplace with a competent manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Do you honestly think someone doesn't pass probation because they don't answer the phone out of office hours?

If that is your experience then you really must have worked in some terrible places.

The things you are in denial about are already happening. The things you clearly expect to happen in your above posts fly in the face of what's already happening. You're going to have a rough time adjusting to this new world.

Everybody i know is either continuing or of the ability to maintain regular and normal work places and patterns..long term.

You can spend your aftèrnoon feeling sorry for me a person whom you dont know or find something more constructive to do ;)

As in "no I'm not answering my phone outside of work hours". If you can't manage that level of autonomy and conviction then I'm afraid it isn't WFH that's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We are in the middle of a massive housing shortage, and you think people are long-tetm reallocating space in their homes to use as a workplace? Really?

And before you try " they can just move to a small town with plenty of housing" - the shortage is happened in many, many smaller places too.

Bedrooms are for sleeping in, not working in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I guess the point you are missing sir, is that you want a workplace.

All I want is a desk. Whether that is in my house, or in an office, I don't care. In fact, if WFH means I get to spend more time with my family and friends who I really care about, rather than a bunch of people I don't really care about, that's good with me.

But look - different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If that means your city centre coffee shop has to let go some of the workers, that's unfortunate but unavoidable. The State needs to help people suffering this type of consequence, because there's no preventing it.

What could happen is the local coffee shop in the regional town is opened because people are WFH. This means more jobs where the cost of living is lower. So it too is win win.

I guess the point you are missing sir, is that you want a workplace.

All I want is a desk. Whether that is in my house, or in an office, I don't care. In fact, if WFH means I get to spend more time with my family and friends who I really care about, rather than a bunch of people I don't really care about, that's good with me.

But look - different strokes for different folks.

No point is being missed.. people certainly have different points of view which is fine...

Mine being that i dont want to contaminate my home with my work... thinking about it... doing it or fielding enquiries about it.

The only thing i do at home is relax and enjoy life....

The people advocating this wfh shìtshow will feed an expectation that others do it and are expected to...

Whilst getting the same pay for the most part and nothing for themselves...apart from a regular wage..

No point is being missed.. people certainly have different points of view which is fine...

Mine being that i dont want to contaminate my home with my work... thinking about it... doing it or fielding enquiries about it.

The people advocating this wfh shìtshow will feed an expectation that others do it and are expected to...

Whilst getting the same pay for the most part and nothing for themselves...apart from a regular wage..

Why is it so hard for you to accept that WFH isn't a "****show" for thousands and thousands of workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

What could happen is the local coffee shop in the regional town is opened because people are WFH. This means more jobs where the cost of living is lower. So it too is win win.

Is happening already ! , new businesses are opening around the country and not just coffee shops.

There has also been an increase in business in many local shops with the ' shop local' message being acted on.

As they say actions speaks louder than words and new businesses - grocers / fish mongers / hair salons / coffee shops are springing up around the country.

Has your employer told you that you will be WFH anymore? If no, then your point is moot. If yes, you have the option to change jobs. People leave jobs every day of the week for a lot less

Isn't that what everyone wants

Its been stated many, many, many times already, but WFH is not for everyone or every role. For some, it will suit, for others it wont. Some will change companies to obtain WFH, some will do the same to avoid WFH.

You've made it clear you wish to remain in an office. Great, more power to you, enjoy. However, I'm at a loss to understand why you are so against others doing WFH. How they work has no bearing on you in the same way you choosing the office has no bearing on them.

You've made it clear you wish to remain in an office. Great, more power to you, enjoy. However, I'm at a loss to understand why you are so against others doing WFH. How they work has no bearing on you in the same way you choosing the office has no bearing on them.

There was some suggestion by the poster that those supporting the "shítshow" would create an expectation for others. I think fear might be a motivating factor behind the vehement opposition to WFH in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Euh... yes?

Im againt WFH because in a lot of cases employers wont be willing to give a choice....

" you want this job, your home is our / your workplace "

If an employer leases office space for 8000 euros a month.... 50 desks, canteen, meeting rooms, private offices say xxxx thousand square feet... they only need half of that space on average if 25 are wfh all of a sudden... they need a smaller premises so massive savings... nahhhh not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It depends on what you consider something extra for themselves.

I value the below more than money.

More time in bed
    More time with kids
    Use breaks to get housework done
    Finish and go socialize with friends instead of travelling home

Advertisement