Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working - the future?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Strumms wrote: »
    Im againt WFH because in a lot of cases employers wont be willing to give a choice....

So people who wish to WFH should have the choice removed from them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

We are in the middle of a massive housing shortage, and you think people are long-tetm reallocating space in their homes to use as a workplace? Really?

And before you try " they can just move to a small town with plenty of housing" - the shortage is happened in many, many smaller places too.

Bedrooms are for sleeping in, not working in.

No we are not in the middle of a massive housing shortage.

We are in the middle of a housing location shortage, It is not "massive" either. Don't believe all the headlines you read. Plenty of houses in Ireland, just not in the right locations.

Bedroom are for doing lots in, some sleeping of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Antares35 wrote: »
    So people who wish to WFH should have the choice removed from them?

Yes because they are attempting to remove it for people who want work location and home... seperate.

Make no mistake.. businesses wont give employees the option if it means said business is saving thousands.

Yes because they are attempting to remove it for people who want work location and home... seperate.

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Make no mistake.. businesses wont give employees the option if it means said business is saving thousands.

Ah so you want people to go on long commutes and spend less time with kids because you have some fear of a manager ringing you at 7pm while you try spend time with your kids.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ah so you want people to go on long commutes and spend less time with kids because you have some fear of a manager ringing you at 7pm while you try spend time with your kids.

No fear whatsoever, the difficulty as I said is when your blur the line... your home is now your workplace so to many your time off will be fair game too.

If people choose to live xx kilometers away from their workplace or apply for jobs 30 kilometers away...that’s on them :confused: the fûck would I be listening to any mangler encouraging or demanding work from home...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No fear whatsoever, the difficulty as I said is when your blur the line... your home is now your workplace so to many your time off will be fair game too.

If people choose to live xx kilometers away from their workplace or apply for jobs 30 kilometers away...that’s on them :confused: the fûck would I be listening to any mangler encouraging or demanding work from home...

Not sure what the difficulty is, if your manager is contacting you after hours while working from home, he is contacting you after hours while in the office currently, he is not going to start calling you because your not in the office.

If you are working in the office and are home by 7 its the same as if your working from home and at 7 and he contacts you.

If your manager starts contacting you after hours because he can't see you in the office earlier in the day the problem is the managers ability to manage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My wife's emoloyer going to remote first just offered my wife a 30% salary increase to cover home office costs... so not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Jim2007 wrote: »
    My wife's emoloyer going to remote first just offered my wife a 30% salary increase to cover home office costs... so not all doom and gloom.

That's a hell of a boost. Fair play

has she been asked or is there a gun to her head ? Personally I’d want the increase for home office costs as in light, heat, electricity etc... plus some on top for providing them with a workspace.

• Advertisement

has she been asked or is there a gun to her head ? Personally I’d want the increase for home office costs as in light, heat, electricity etc... plus some on top for providing them with a workspace.

A gun to her head to accept a 30% increase? :D

A gun to her head to accept a 30% increase? :D

Absolutely...Financial increase...

I’d be asking questions pertaining to whether quality of life and a barrier between work time and off time exists ...
    What they might be loosing... time would tell if it’s worth it... I guarantee employers won’t be dangling 30% increases across the board, sorry if you are of the opinion they will... :)

Absolutely...Financial increase...

I’d be asking questions pertaining to whether quality of life and a barrier between work time and off time exists ...
    What they might be loosing... time would tell if it’s worth it... I guarantee employers won’t be dangling 30% increases across the board, sorry if you are of the opinion they will... :)

Again with your refusal to accept that for thousands and thousands of adults across Ireland there is no issue with a barrier notwithstanding that they are working from home for the last 15 months. If you have a problem with the mere sight of your laptop "contaminating" your home, or you don't feel like you can say "no" to your boss's unreasonable request to be available at all hours, then your problems extend far beyond WFH.

I'm not looking for a 30% increase in exchange for the privilege of axing my ten hour commute and spending more time with my daughter. In any event, I'm happy enough with the 18% payrise associated with the promotion I got in January :)

Again with your refusal to accept that for thousands and thousands of adults across Ireland there is no issue with a barrier notwithstanding that they are working from home for the last 15 months. If you have a problem with the mere sight of your laptop "contaminating" your home, or you don't feel like you can say "no" to your boss's unreasonable request to be available at all hours, then your problems extend far beyond WFH.

I'm not looking for a 30% increase in exchange for the privilege of axing my ten hour commute and spending more time with my daughter. In any event, I'm happy enough with the 18% payrise associated with the promotion I got in January :)

They are working from home why ?

Because they need to earn money and they don’t want to contract a potentially deadly virus and bring it home to loved ones... that’s actually why, covid, remember ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Because they need to earn money and they don’t want to contract a potentially deadly virus and bring it home to loved ones... that’s actually why, covid, remember ! ;)

People were working from home long before Covid.

You seem to be unable to understand this.

A lot of people (85%in surveys) prefer WFH.

Some don't but that doesn't change the fact that for many WFH suits employee and employer .

WFH was here long before Covid and will be here for a long time in the future.

Infoanon wrote: »
    People were working from home long before Covid.

You seem to be unable to understand this.

A lot of people (85%in surveys) prefer WFH.

Some don't but that doesn't change the fact that for many WFH suits employee and employer .

WFH was here long before Covid and will be here for a long time in the future.

I understand perfectly, but the number of people doing just that are in a minority... of my family and friends one works from home...my cousin by choice.

In any of my jobs, sales were the only people who worked a combo of home, customer calls and an occasional office visit..

Of course it suits employers, it’s huge cost saving... it suits too some people with young families...but when it’s not by choice...

Covid hasn’t invented WFH but it’s certainly giving an opportunity for businesses to pressure, harry and harass people to become a lesser inconvenience on their cost center.

Yes that's why my employer has agreed to an indefinite 0-5 day option from September :)

I understand perfectly, but the number of people doing just that are in a minority... of my family and friends one works from home...my cousin by choice.

In any of my jobs, sales were the only people who worked a combo of home, customer calls and an occasional office visit..

Of course it suits employers, it’s huge cost saving... it suits too some people with young families...but when it’s not by choice...

Covid hasn’t invented WFH but it’s certainly giving an opportunity for businesses to pressure, harry and harass people to become a lesser inconvenience on their cost center.

You talk about choice an awful lot for someone who doesn't support a choice based system.

You talk about choice an awful lot for someone who doesn't support a choice based system.

I support choice if it doesn’t create the expectations that everybody follows suit.

ineedeuro wrote: »
    No we are not in the middle of a massive housing shortage.

We are in the middle of a housing location shortage, It is not "massive" either. Don't believe all the headlines you read. Plenty of houses in Ireland, just not in the right locations.

Bedroom are for doing lots in, some sleeping of course :p

I'm in Waterford and there is a housing shortage here, my mate is in Wexford and he also had issues finding a house. There is a housing shortage all over this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's pretty damn impressive.

Was she particularly lowly paid beforehand?

Are any conditions are attached, in terms of the quality of the home office space and wifi that the employee provides?

That said, in Ireland a 30% increase means 15% in the hand. For someone on 50k, that would be 7.5k per year in cash. Just about enough to rent an office in my neighbourhood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Was she particularly lowly paid beforehand?

No very far from it. Almost makes me want to consider coming out of retirement, but not quiet.
    Are any conditions are attached, in terms of the quality of the home office space and wifi that the employee provides?

None, but then Switzerland is not a nanny state.

What are peoples feelings on the remote hubs that are popping up everywhere? Three fairly good sized ones planned within a 20km radius of me, I’d be a bit sceptical that they’ll fill them tbh. Government pushing them like mad with grants so they obviously see them having a big role going forward. I can’t see myself using one but my office is relatively close by, if I had a long commute it may be a different story. Anybody here planning on working from one?

I would use one if I was in a remote area
    Even if it just gave me the chance to meet up with local business people in the area

I'm in Waterford and there is a housing shortage here, my mate is in Wexford and he also had issues finding a house. There is a housing shortage all over this country.

No, if you add up all the houses in Ireland plenty of them available, even with holidays home etc

Location is the problem. Again you are defining an area you want to live in, which I would expect is a popular area, plus you probably have a list of requirements which are very specific. Similar with your mate.
    At the moment in Waterford 326 houses are available for sale. In Wexford 491.
    How is that a housing shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

No, if you add up all the houses in Ireland plenty of them available, even with holidays home etc

Location is the problem. Again you are defining an area you want to live in, which I would expect is a popular area, plus you probably have a list of requirements which are very specific. Similar with your mate.
    At the moment in Waterford 326 houses are available for sale. In Wexford 491.
    How is that a housing shortage?

Do you know how many people want to buy in Waterford/Wexford?

If its more than 326 and 491, then that to me is a house shortage. When supply doesn't meet demand.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Do you know how many people want to buy in Waterford/Wexford?

If its more than 326 and 491, then that to me is a house shortage. When supply doesn't meet demand.

If that was the case then zero houses should be available for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Im againt WFH because in a lot of cases employers wont be willing to give a choice....

" you want this job, your home is our / your workplace "

Then don't work for them.

I expect WFH will be the minority. Most places will still have people working in an office. So you'll have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

If that was the case then zero houses should be available for sale?

Why do you say there's not a housing shortage, your only quoting one side of the coin here, the supply side?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would use one if I was in a remote area
    Even if it just gave me the chance to meet up with local business people in the area

How much would you be willing to pay, per day, for that?

What facilities would you expect to see provided?

• Advertisement

How much would you be willing to pay, per day, for that?

What facilities would you expect to see provided?

Valet parking of course
    I would want a red carpet with trumpets to welcome me on arrival to the building
    A seat that can massage me while I work
    A person standing over me with a damp cloth to cool me down, also with a fan to blow a slight breeze on my face...if I get stressed they would humm soothing music

Fairly standard

Advertisement