Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads are sky even showing practice etc ?

OK that is a joke - felt in fairness that it was actually a fair pick of a course - but will be all in the course set up again - yanks will want a putting contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

This thing with the courses being set up by the home team is a load of nonsense. I also think that the way equipment has advanced and how good the modern player is it doesn’t matter anyway. McIlroy played 4 tournaments last season and used four different drivers and different wedges each week as well. The equipment is tweaked to give players that extra bit of help to suit the course.

The wind is forecast to be up this weekend so Mcilroy will knock a degree or two off his driver and change his wedges. The thing about the course set up just doesn’t matter any more let’s be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Course set up makes a lot of difference, there’s even talk of the courses being set up independently because of the impact it has. Hazeltine 2016 was more suited towards the American’s bomb and gauge style with the pins set up easy it didn’t matter where they were off the tee, they could still get at them. Similarly in France the fairways were narrow and rough was long to punish the erratic drivers the Americans had on their team (Phil, Tiger, Bubba), this was before Bryson overcame that approach with his increases in swing speed.

If you look at each team, Americans are superior in SG driving and SG putting. It makes complete sense for them to cut down the rough (which they have by the looks of the videos that I've seen on twitter) so they aren't going to be punished for sending it miles and a bit wayward. Similarly to Hazeltine, I would imagine the pins to be very gettable, so it will turn into a complete birdie fest. Given that the 6th is drivable (maybe even the first too for Bryson) and on the 12th (I think) the par 5 can be cut over the lake so the lads will have a short iron in, setting up the course to favour the team's strength will give them a huge advantage.

Post edited by CSWS101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Saw a bit of the media sessions the afternoon, Bryson said he and Brooks had dinner last night, hinted heavily that Stricker may pair them. That'd be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Those two are so loopy I wouldn't be surprised they bury the hatchet and destroy their opposition

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Seen Paddy in his press conference - the guy is a dream for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Got home from a long day of work and hoping Sky will have some decent build-up on repeat... Stuck watching a special on Monty! Think I'll go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why do they still talk about things like they've done over the last 30 years.

Suits Europe because of x, y and z but really they all play full time on pga tour bar a couple of players for a few events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah it's crazy how early and how much coverage there is, Sky Golf were live from Whistling Straits for 10+ hours yesterday!? The only golf they showed was practice round 1st tee shots. I had it on in the background as I was working and it was mostly just various pundits rehashing the same things over and over again. If I had a bingo card of Ryder Cup cliches it would've been filled in no time. The only interesting parts were interviews with the players and managers and they can just be watched on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Yep wiesberg the only player on European team not to feature regularly on pga tour .

It’s more of an advantage when Europe at home because most the Americans only come over for one tournament in Europe - the open

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

Yeah its bizarre how much build up and coverage there is for this, especially when there is literally nothing to talk about at this stage. Fair enough if they followed the players round during their practice round and were having the banter with them, but the coverage so far is tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Pairings predictions?

Foursomes: Rory & Poulter, Rahm & Garcia, Hovland & Fleetwood, Casey & Hatton

I would prefer Rory & Lowry but I think Padraig will go for Poults

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd love to see Wiesberger in the foursomes. He's straight and excellent around the greens

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rydercupteameurope's instagram page has been brilliant for content in the lead up to this.

This was a great sketch they put up yesterday

Direct link to the page if that link doesnt work :: https://www.instagram.com/rydercupteameurope/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

what time are the foresomes due to be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

My worry from the European team is wiesberg. He led a European tour event a few weeks back and on 18th lost his head - needed par to win but got double bogey

He will prob end up top euro scorer now that I have said this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Europe with the early lead in the fashion stakes anyway. Those US suits are an abomination.

• Advertisement

Watching this pre - show , jaysus it is all so cringe.

But on Sunday I will be all Poults ---------------"COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN "

I don't even like Poults.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

1,000 bunkers. That’s scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ryder Cup Opening Ceremony cheese is a special kind of cheese. Get on with it FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

A few FBI agents on the American team wearing dark glasses.

He is going on a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Look at Finau chewing gum, what a bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Good God those brown blazers are horrific

Poor auld Steve a bit dry ?

Doesn't seem the most inspiring dude.

The reading of the auto cue makes it all even more awkward.

As for the wives too - all a bit pre last century.

They look so different out of golf gear - not hat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He just told a Wisconsin crowd that he supports the Bears! 🤦

• Advertisement

They turned on their own captain over a joke remark - mad place America - lol.

Advertisement