Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wiesberger has played less in the U.S. than anyone on the team, so it makes sense to sit him out of the first round. Let him get used to the atmosphere and maybe play with Fleetwood in fourballs? Hovland is not really as much of a rookie because he's full time on the U.S. tour so half the fans probably thought he was American anyway.

With Westwood and Fitzpatrick maybe Harrington is saying, listen I have to play you guys once, this is your chance to change my mind.

Hatton is probably better to play fourball, Fleetwood will almost certainly play two of the remaining three before the singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

As always USA being over fancied again based on 72 stroke play form, this format couldn't be more different. Europe to be better than the sum of its parts as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Sounds about perfect to me. Rory's long iron game is up among the best whereas his wedge play... one of the worst.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm expecting 3-1 or at best 2.5-1.5 to the US after the first morning.

We'll be able to claw that back in the afternoon though once Padraig sees who's on fire in the first session.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fleetberger to make an outing in the afternoon hopefully.

Hopefully Hatton isnt with lowry though. Hatton/rahm and rory/shane maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Fitzpatrick is a top-class golfer, he was a bit quite in late summer, but was making a charge at Wentworth. I think he'll pick up his form during the matches.

Westwood, I'm not so sure, but maybe he'll be able to rouse himself sufficiently in the circumstances, but Shane really should've knocked him out of the team at Wentworth. His putting and form is very worrying for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Obviously the strange pick is the Westwood and Fitzpatrick pairing. Ultimately I think foursomes should fit their games. They shouldn’t miss any fairways and can play aggressive from there.

in saying that I probably would have had Shane and Fleetwood out in some form.

they other 3 games could go either way really. The Casey Hovland pairing is just so solid. They are premium ball strikers so a very interesting game again DJ and Morikawa.

rory and poults gel well together so hopefully they click once again but they are up against an in form pairing. I think that is the US best pairing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Just had a quick look at the card there, definitely sets up for a Pair like Poulter/Mcilroy

I guess we will see the short hitter go off 1

Odds are as follows

Short Par 4

Short 3

3 Shot Par 5

Med/Long Par 3

Med 4

Long 4

Drivable 4

Long 4

Med/Long 3

Evens as Follows

Med/L Par 5

Long 4

Drivable 4

Long 4

Drivable 4

Short 3

Short 4

Short 5

Long 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

On paper the US foursome pairings definitely look better but with foursomes anything is possible I guess. What time do the afternoon fourball pairings get announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Afternoon pairs usually announced bout an hour before they tee off, sometimes matches get changed in order if a player runs late in the morning.

Does the Ryder cup Website know something we don't in match 4?

https://www.rydercup.com/scoring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did anyone else notice Phil asking if they should stand when the vice captains were introduced last night? (I'm catching up this morning) he didn't look happy when obviously told no. I thought that the Americans would have worked on team spirit this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well it certainly doesn't know the size difference between Rory and Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Do the players get paid for playing and is there any prize money?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Updated the thread title as there has been a lot of good posts in this and a breakaway one would just confuse a lot of people!

VAMOS EUROPE!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes (ish), the European Players receive "gifts" and the US team received a couple of hundred grand, 50% going to a designated charity and 50% going to each player's nominated charity.

It does generate costs and income and a healthy profit.

Personally I think all profits should go to charity. If held in the US the vast majority of the profit goes to the PGA and bits to ET, when held in Europe the ET get just over half the profits

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The build up coverage from the US feed is fairly rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why are they starting so early, 7.05am tee off is crazy early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Nice to see Ryder Cup stalwart Dame Laura in the commentary seat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very hospitable home crowd.🙄

• Advertisement

Didn't the US team get booed in Paris? It works both ways

And the first words out of her mouth were cribbing about the crowd 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭obi604

Feckin Supermacs jersey !!! 🤣😆

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Did anyone else see the lad in the Galway Jersey in the crowd? Fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭Xander10

Bunker! Prob hole 1 for USA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

4 balls are from 1.10 pm to 1.58 pm, wont be much daylight left by the time the last match finishes.

Crowd sound like hillbillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭This is it

Did well to split the hole after the tee shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Garcia nearly won it with that chip, great shot.

• Advertisement

They are actually an hour earlier, so 12:10, 12:26, 12:42 and 12:58 p.m.

Thats an hour earlier than normal.

Advertisement